Sponsored

Removable Roof For Rivian R1t Coming Next Year!!!

Alan C

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton and MG Midget 1500
Occupation
Retired
I would LOVE if they gave the electrochrmatic roof option for R1S. It was one of its hallmark features when it debuted and I know the wife was a little disappointed when she found out the sunroof can't change.

That said, we were at the drive event on a hot sunny day and that tint worked beautifully to keep the cabin nice and cool. I was impressed.
The glass roof was a worry for us, we live in Perth Western Australia and it gets hot a lot. Your comment re the tint was helpfull.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pklomboy

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The glass roof was a worry for us, we live in Perth Western Australia and it gets hot a lot. Your comment re the tint was helpfull.
i guess you could tint the roof if you want on your own

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have all glass with a power sunroof on my model s. I never use the sunroof and I live in California. I thought the all glass roof might be hit and bother me but I don’t even think about it. I hope that’s the same with the rivian.

but if there were an option for a metal roof on the R1T I’d take that over any other option. I have a trail 4Runner with no sunroof and it’s the best. Just a good solid roof with no squeaks or leaks.

trmckin1

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum, 2016 Lexus GX 460, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Trader
I have all glass with a power sunroof on my model s. I never use the sunroof and I live in California. I thought the all glass roof might be hit and bother me but I don’t even think about it. I hope that’s the same with the rivian.

but if there were an option for a metal roof on the R1T I’d take that over any other option. I have a trail 4Runner with no sunroof and it’s the best. Just a good solid roof with no squeaks or leaks.
Another plus is that a solid steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc… roof is much lighter than a large glass panel. Range and climate control benefit and less to worry about. Also you don’t have to worry about cracking glass when using the rack bars for bikes, skis, gear, etc… don’t ask how I know about this headache…

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Another plus is that a solid steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc… roof is much lighter than a large glass panel. Range and climate control benefit and less to worry about. Also you don’t have to worry about cracking glass when using the rack bars for bikes, skis, gear, etc… don’t ask how I know about this headache…
yep. I wish the trend of all glass roofs would die. Especially on a truck.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The impact to range is fairly inconsequential. Other than un-sprung weight (like wheels), adding 100 pounds for a glass roof would only impact range on a vehicle already this heavy by about 1 or 2 miles. According to the EPA, for every 10% addition in weight, efficiency drops by about 4% (assuming that added weight doesn't also have other drag penalties). That's why payload really doesn't affect range as much as you'd think when the vehicle itself already weights 7k lbs (affects EVs much less than ICE vehicles). Using that math in this case, 700lbs of payload in the bed (10% of total curb weight) will only shave off 11-12 miles of range.

trmckin1

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum, 2016 Lexus GX 460, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Trader
The impact to range is fairly inconsequential. Other than un-sprung weight (like wheels), adding 100 pounds for a glass roof would only impact range on a vehicle already this heavy by about 1 or 2 miles. According to the EPA, for every 10% addition in weight, efficiency drops by about 4% (assuming that added weight doesn't also have other drag penalties). That's why payload really doesn't affect range as much as you'd think when the vehicle itself already weights 7k lbs (affects EVs much less than ICE vehicles). Using that math in this case, 700lbs of payload in the bed (10% of total curb weight) will only shave off 11-12 miles of range.
fair enough and makes sense. I’m still not a fan of them though. Ive seen more than my fair share of cracked panels from skis and bikes (replaced one on my previous f150). If it was a city vehicle that wasn’t getting beat on, I wouldn’t mind but I plan to use this truck as intended ;) A metal roof with some PPF would be ideal

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I like all-glass roofs, personally, and I loved it in the R1T when I test drove. Not for everyone, but it's definitely a feature I would be sad to see go.

As for removable roof, that's one I don't care about. Even when overlanding/offroading I'd rather not have it open on top, whether to keep dust out of the cabin or for any other reason. Doesn't feel like that gives me much that the glass roof doesn't.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
fair enough and makes sense. I’m still not a fan of them though. Ive seen more than my fair share of cracked panels from skis and bikes (replaced one on my previous f150). If it was a city vehicle that wasn’t getting beat on, I wouldn’t mind but I plan to use this truck as intended ;) A metal roof with some PPF would be ideal
I imagine they will expand the offering as they mature, like the removable roof option which is going the opposite direction. Right now they need to keep production as simple as possible.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

yep. I wish the trend of all glass roofs would die. Especially on a truck.
they are mostly used because it helps in the manufacturing process, it makes it easier for robots with the welding, painting and getting assemblies in and out of what would otherwise be too tight of a space for them. this helps speed up the line and therefore reduce cost/increase profit. another option is to put in a solid roof of some sort, steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc. usually in newer cars this is still a separate piece thats glued on like the all glass roof still. and in reality the cost is about the same when you account for the insulation, headliner and other things associated with a solid roof. with the all glass they can add on a "premium" fee as it give the vehicle a more premium feel, and make even more profit.

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
This is what I would prefer. I'm already leaning towards getting the R1T in white so the sun doesn't cause the body to heat up much, and even if I could save 50kg/100lb in weight, thats an additional 50kg I can throw in the car when I go camping. Every little bit helps, and if a fixed metal roof were a little cheaper to buy then that would be a bonus (hint hint rivian *cough*)

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Seen people post this article but not much conversation on the removable roof option for next year. I think this is HUGE and something I would highly consider getting, especially if my order takes a while to receive. Living in Las Vegas with a glass sunroof is worrisome with the heat we get here but having an option when the weather is nice to take off the roof! :like:

Per Motortrend:
Removable Roof For Rivian R1t Coming Next Year
For now, the R1T comes with a fixed roof but next year Rivian will offer the option of a removable roof that replaces the glass sunroof with composite panels that can be taken off, similar to those on a Jeep Wrangler's Freedom top hardtop.​
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-second-drive-review/
at the rate things are ramping up , the fixed roof is (hopefully) on for next year ??

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/Y/3, R1T, R1S (order)
Meh. I prefer glass. What vexes me is why not offer an electrically-operable moonroof — like pretty much every other manufacturer. THAT is what I want.
Yep. That's why I have not bought a new Tesla. They did away with the pano sunroof. Too many moving parts, I heard.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Meh. I prefer glass. What vexes me is why not offer an electrically-operable moonroof — like pretty much every other manufacturer. THAT is what I want.
I'm with you on that. I get that choices needed to be made, and maybe this keeps the cost and complexity down, but only two cars I've ever purchased didn't have an opening moonroof (if it wasn't a convertible).

That said, I'll be interested to see how any removable top turns out.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I'm with you on that. I get that choices needed to be made, and maybe this keeps the cost and complexity down, but only two cars I've ever purchased didn't have an opening moonroof (if it wasn't a convertible).

That said, I'll be interested to see how any removable top turns out.
When the retractable roof on my old x3 conked out due to an acorn that got in the track it was going to be a $4000+ repair. Fortunately, it failed in the closed position.
Sponsored