Sponsored

Removable Roof For Rivian R1t Coming Next Year!!!

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Seen people post this article but not much conversation on the removable roof option for next year. I think this is HUGE and something I would highly consider getting, especially if my order takes a while to receive. Living in Las Vegas with a glass sunroof is worrisome with the heat we get here but having an option when the weather is nice to take off the roof! :like:

Per Motortrend:
Removable Roof For Rivian R1t Coming Next Year
For now, the R1T comes with a fixed roof but next year Rivian will offer the option of a removable roof that replaces the glass sunroof with composite panels that can be taken off, similar to those on a Jeep Wrangler's Freedom top hardtop.​
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-second-drive-review/
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They originally were going to have this as an option at launch. I really want to know what it looks like and how it's going to work before I have to take delivery on my LE. It was one of the things that made me put my preorder in.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I got confirmation from RJ on this as well at the drive event when I asked him about the electrocromatic roof. He said it would be three removable pieces which will be nice. I would still rather the electrochromatic one he said that may be coming later.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I will take any kind of solid roof over the glass. While fixed is preferred, my short self might appreciate being able to remove the panels for easier washing. Middle of the roof is hard to reach, even from a ladder on taller SUVs. These T-Rex arms just aren't getting the job done.

Hope these are in production by the time I get my R1S in a year or two.

OP
OP
pklomboy

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

They originally were going to have this as an option at launch. I really want to know what it looks like and how it's going to work before I have to take delivery on my LE. It was one of the things that made me put my preorder in.
We can always trade places if you really want that removable rooftop! :CWL:

Sponsored

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

I got confirmation from RJ on this as well at the drive event when I asked him about the electrocromatic roof. He said it would be three removable pieces which will be nice. I would still rather the electrochromatic one he said that may be coming later.
I would LOVE if they gave the electrochrmatic roof option for R1S. It was one of its hallmark features when it debuted and I know the wife was a little disappointed when she found out the sunroof can't change.

That said, we were at the drive event on a hot sunny day and that tint worked beautifully to keep the cabin nice and cool. I was impressed.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Meh. I prefer glass. What vexes me is why not offer an electrically-operable moonroof — like pretty much every other manufacturer. THAT is what I want.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
removable roofs worry me, as they tend to start leaking at some point. the Ford Bronco one squeaked a lot if I'm remembering the reviews right.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
While I love the idea of an open-air vehicle, to me, I'm not sure it's worth the trade off of not having glass in the ceiling. I love the natural light it lets in and the overall look, so I'd be sad to have hard non-glass panels in the ceiling even if they can be removed.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Can anyone get the audio in the MT “second drive” video to work?

Sponsored

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
One advantage to the glass roof is crash safety. One of the reasons Tesla's have such great crashworthiness is the amount of energy the glass roof can distribute and absorb across the entire panel in an accident.

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Personally, I'd prefer a solid roof with NO glass. No-one I know with a sunroof ever uses them after the first week. I've had three, only because they were mandatory in some option package with something else we wanted. They're too hot, and when opened, get full of leaves, pine-needles, whatever, blow everything around the vehicle, and at most speeds make so much noise it's difficult to hear. If you carry anything on the roof, they serve no purpose except maybe as an expensive bike-repair stand. And if you want to sleep out under the stars... go sleep out under the stars.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Meh. I prefer glass. What vexes me is why not offer an electrically-operable moonroof — like pretty much every other manufacturer. THAT is what I want.
100%. I don't understand it either and the fixed glass roof seems to be a trend especially in EVs, at least thats my impression.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Personally, I'd prefer a solid roof with NO glass. No-one I know with a sunroof ever uses them after the first week. I've had three, only because they were mandatory in some option package with something else we wanted. They're too hot, and when opened, get full of leaves, pine-needles, whatever, blow everything around the vehicle, and at most speeds make so much noise it's difficult to hear. If you carry anything on the roof, they serve no purpose except maybe as an expensive bike-repair stand. And if you want to sleep out under the stars... go sleep out under the stars.
My wife *LOVES* opening roofs. But not full on convertibles, just opening roofs.
Sponsored