Registration Improvement!

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
With the large number of registration delays and frustrated experiences on this forum, my expectations had been tempered accordingly; however, my experience was quite the contrary! After picking up my truck at the factory in Normal, IL on Friday, Sept 30th, I received the manufacturer title and associated paperwork via UPS 2-day delivery on Monday, Oct 3rd. Interestingly, the paperwork was shipped from Rivian in Palo Alto, CA.

One difference that may have influenced my positive experience is that my State collects automobile sales tax directly from the consumer rather than auto dealers. I took Rivian's paperwork to local State Revenue office this afternoon and completed registration, licensing, and payment of sales tax. The only negative is that Rivian included $1,875 of accessories in the Bill of Sale - and included $145 of IL sales tax on those accessories. Since they were on the vehicle Bill of Sale, my State also charged sales tax on those items (including the IL taxes). In the big scheme of the transaction, this double taxation on $1,875 was not a big deal to me. YMMV
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Meanwhile, I'm 100+ days after my delivery and still have no title, no tags, and no paperwork.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Seems to be a state-by-state issue. My experience was excellent as well. DCU was slightly delayed in getting the title, but they worked directly with Rivian to get it sorted out. I got the plate in the mail with several weeks to spare on the temp tag. No fuss or hassle.

I would request they refund the double taxes. Shouldn't be a problem.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You must be in a self-registration state. It's the third party registration service that causes most of the delays. I attempted to ask my guide to self-register, but he said they don't allow that in Michigan but the response times have been shorter recently.

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Can anyone in Colorado that did a plate transfer comment on how long it took to get them? Mine is a custom plate on the Colorful Colorado style plate. My local DMV told me that I will probably get my customization but it will probably be on the standard green-and-white plate. No indication of when, though. I'm also interested in how long to get my title since I didn't finance.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It’s not necessarily state by state but I have not seen any Californians complaining about delays on here. I’m in TX and had a horrible experience but there were several other Texans that got all of their stuff very quickly at the same time I was in limbo.

ArchitecTT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2012 Audi TTRS; 2014 Audi A6 3.0
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

I am completely blown away by the incompetence of REGUSA and Rivian in the title and registration process so far.

Particulars - we took delivery of our R1T on August 19. After a month, our inquiries regarding status of registration and title seemed to spark some small actions from our Guide. After another month of still receiving nothing, a new Guide jumped in to help because our old Guide was too busy. New Guide assures us that he had just confirmed we would be getting our plates and registration (Maine) no later than the end of last week (10/7).

Today (10/13), I received the registration and plate stickers for some poor woman in Maryland and her 2020 Mitsubishi. Perhaps she received my Rivian registration and Maine plates, one can only suppose. This is the kind of stuff conventional dealers would mess up, but then get resolved in hours, not months.

I have 35 days left on the temp tags and little confidence that this will get cleaned up.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I was very fortunate. My title and registration was very fast.

Took delivery on 9/12/2022. I noticed the car registered in my online portal with the Arizona DMV on 9/22/2022. Paper title arrived circa 9/27 and plate arrived on 9/30, I think. I don't remember exactly, but it was quick.

I actually received an overnight package from Rivian on Monday, 10/11 that contained my temporary registration materials, which I found odd because the physical plate and actual registration had already arrived in the mail. I noticed they did use a 3rd party to register, but I can't recall the name off the top of my head.

Rivian has a dealership license in Arizona. I think that's making all the difference.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
It’s not necessarily state by state but I have not seen any Californians complaining about delays on here. I’m in TX and had a horrible experience but there were several other Texans that got all of their stuff very quickly at the same time I was in limbo.
I had my California registration an plates in 7 days! Blew me away. On the other hand, I sent a check for my renewal on my Cummins in September and it took 4 weeks for my check to even clear. 😂

Sponsored

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
Glad it's going well for others. I'm still in a rental.

R1T Delivery - End of May
Temp tags expired - 8/25
In a rental - 9/20
Still driving that rental - 10/21

I'm trying to keep a good attitude and accept that there's some inefficiencies in a new company and their processes. But I'm definitely starting to get more and more frustrated.

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Delivery to receiving registration for me took about 6 weeks. Vermont.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
For folks that are at the end of their temp tag - are you still working with your guide or have you reached out to RJ yet?

NOTHING moving on mine until I emailed RJ. Even so, I was at 150 days before I got my official registration tag.

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
For folks that are at the end of their temp tag - are you still working with your guide or have you reached out to RJ yet?

NOTHING moving on mine until I emailed RJ. Even so, I was at 150 days before I got my official registration tag.
I've been working with my guide. Figured an email to RJ would be lost in the mass of other emails I'm sure he receives.

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military

I think I'm sitting at 145 or so. I'll let you know in a week if I've beaten your 150 mark.
Sponsored