Sponsored

Regen Braking for Beginners.... I have questions

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Exactly, and that first part is what I’ve been writing about. If I get used to one pedal driving as the norm, will my reaction time suffer because I’ve lost my muscle memory for driving a traditional setup?

@ajdelange hasn’t responded to that concern. I assume it’s because he understands that even if HE has maintained the muscle memory with no loss in reaction time at all, not even a tenth of a second, he can’t guarantee that OTHER PEOPLE won’t because of the human factor.

At 65 miles per hour, even if I only lose 1/10th of a second response time mentally processing that the vehicle I’m in needs more than just rapid accelerator lift to start braking, I’ve traveled just over 9 feet and 6 inches. There are a number of times I’ve had to make a panic stop where if I’d traveled just over 9.5 feet I would‘ve hit something or someone.

For me, I’m unwilling to jeopardize that ~9.5 feet for one pedal driving until I’m satisfied it’s not as big an issue as I fear or it is no longer an issue because all my cars support one pedal driving.

I’m not saying one pedal driving is bad, I’m not saying anybody with a mix of cars shouldn’t use one pedal, and I’m not saying that I won’t switch to one pedal, I’m only saying that I’ve considered the benefits versus the risks and with my current experience and capabilities it doesn’t make sense for me.

edited: typo
SoCal Rob,
We have both a Tesla Model Y and a GMC Yukon XL Denali and I regularly drive both (Although the Model Y is really my wife's car). The Model Y has solid regen braking and will bring the car to a full stop when in "standard" regen setting. (As @ajdelange mentioned in a previous response, Tesla combines friction braking with regen once the car slows below a certain speed to bring it to a complete stop.) It really is, for the most part, one pedal driving and I love it!

I can say that I have found no issues whatsoever in switching between the Model Y using one pedal driving and going back to my Yukon XL, which certainly requires faster reaction times than the Model Y since it is 2000+lbs heavier than the Model Y. The Yukon XL does have automatic emergency braking but that has only come in to play one time where I was looking out the window and car stopped short in front of me. (Thank God for this because I would have crushed the little car in front of me without it.) I also have a 2000 F-150 longbed with manual transmission and I haven't had any issues driving that either for the occasional dump run)

So, long way of saying that, at least in my experience, the one pedal driving has only been a positive and has not led to any issues with my reaction times or confusion while driving a different vehicle.
Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Winston,
So, long way of saying that, at least in my experience, the one pedal driving has only been a positive and has not led to any issues with my reaction times or confusion while driving a different vehicle.
I have a 2017 Chevy BoltEV, and I have learned to drive in "L" rather than "D" pretty much exclusively, to maximize the regen, and I rarely use the brake pedal. My brake pads will likely never have to be replaced, unless there is some other reason they might go bad, not related to use, but age. My wife occasionally drives my Bolt, and she always drives in "D" (a lot less regen), and she is comfortable with that, using the brake pedal to stop, much as she does driving her 2017 RAV4. The 2017 Bolt is designed to have "D" as the default setting, and one must change it to "L" each time you drive. Am hoping the R1T will allow the ability for the driver to set their default regen as desired, not having to reconfigure each time, and change as needed.

All of that said, since so many people will be switching over from ICE vehicles without any prior BEV regen braking experience, it will be nice to have these options, and new BEV drivers can transition to one pedal driving as they get comfortable with it...or not.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
You got me going first by throwing in the Airplane tie-in with Julie and Robert. The Zuckers put out some fun stuff and also let the world know that Leslie Nielson and Peter Graves had some pretty good comedic chops. They even showed us the funny side of Kareem. I never saw that during his playing days.

Thanks again!
Kareem was to focused on becoming the greatest scorer in NBA history. He was the the best. Unstoppable, and his grace was a thing of beauty.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I'm not the one with the comprehension problem.
I've driven probably 20 times more EV models than you have and experienced more than a single way to handle regen.
Some people, as idiotic, backwards and poor drivers as they are, prefer lower deceleration from the right pedal. Rivian has acknowledged this and will make it available. I personally much prefer one pedal driving with as much regen as the vehicle is willing to dish out and invariably set it that way. But I am not egotistical enough to insist that what I like is the only way it should be done and that anyone with a different preference is less intelligent, lacks common sense or is unskilled.

Which is the better choice given (as idiotic as it is) that Rivian is making modes available less than the full amount of regen from the "skinny pedal"?
1) have the brake pedal add in more regen before engaging the friction pads
or
2) use only the friction pads

The only logical choice that anyone with any semblance of intelligence would choose of not allowing a mode with reduced regen to begin with is apparently off the table. We can't change the fact that Rivian has royally screwed up by offering this choice to their customers, so we are left with the above choices. So which makes more sense?

Your obsession with one pedal driving being (or that should be) the only option for EVs is simply absurd. If people are more comfortable with more traditional controls, who are you to declare them incompetent and clueless drivers? And the companies like Porsche and Audi that eschew one pedal driving to be as clueless as their target customers? Come down off your high horse and Elon worship long enough to recognize that sometimes choice is good - provide the options for using your product in a variety of ways and let the customer to decide what fits them best.
Tesla historically has been able to dictate certain things in their products simply because there really wasn't much competition. That is becoming less true every month. Want a real steering wheel instead of a yoke? You actually don't. Want a stalk for your turn signal? Wrong again! Have people adapted to some of the Tesla oddities? Yep. Is the driving experience universally improved? Not even close.
Tesla wrote the book on Regen Braking. What do you have a problem with this?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Exactly, and that first part is what I’ve been writing about. If I get used to one pedal driving as the norm, will my reaction time suffer because I’ve lost my muscle memory for driving a traditional setup?

@ajdelange hasn’t responded to that concern. I assume it’s because he understands that even if HE has maintained the muscle memory with no loss in reaction time at all, not even a tenth of a second, he can’t guarantee that OTHER PEOPLE won’t because of the human factor.

At 65 miles per hour, even if I only lose 1/10th of a second response time mentally processing that the vehicle I’m in needs more than just rapid accelerator lift to start braking, I’ve traveled just over 9 feet and 6 inches. There are a number of times I’ve had to make a panic stop where if I’d traveled just over 9.5 feet I would‘ve hit something or someone.

For me, I’m unwilling to jeopardize that ~9.5 feet for one pedal driving until I’m satisfied it’s not as big an issue as I fear or it is no longer an issue because all my cars support one pedal driving.

I’m not saying one pedal driving is bad, I’m not saying anybody with a mix of cars shouldn’t use one pedal, and I’m not saying that I won’t switch to one pedal, I’m only saying that I’ve considered the benefits versus the risks and with my current experience and capabilities it doesn’t make sense for me.

edited: typo
In an "oh shit" situation, I've never hesitated to hit the brake pedal, in any car. I have occasionally attempted to push in the non-existent clutch in my Bolt, but that doesn't change anything other than temporary confusion for why I missed that pedal. With One-pedal in the Bolt, the car actually starts slowing down before I can start hitting the brake myself. I've never tried to measure the difference or anything but it's probably good for saving at least a few feet. My camaro will still stop in way shorter distances because the tires are really sticky compared to the Bolt.

When the battery is nearly full, regen can be limited by quite a bit. I'll still attempt to stop without using the brake pedal. At higher speeds, the same amount of regen available doesn't slow the car nearly as much as it does at lower speeds, so it's hard to feel out whether I'm actually going to stop in time. I've still used the brake pedal whenever I've needed it. Sometimes end up using it when I might not have needed. The Bolt has a blended brake system but I exclusively drive in L mode so I'm not really sure how the pedal feel changes in D in this situation.

I'd be really curious to see stopping distance comparisons for the different tire choices on the Rivian.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think you are saying that if you get trained up to brake by releasing the skinny pedal only you may lose your reflexive skill at slamming on the brake pedal as you would in an ICE car. Is that right?
Not quite. It’s not only me, which is why I referred to OTHER PEOPLE, but this is speculation, even for myself.

I guess we could look into the accident history with Teslas to see if they have more accidents from slow braking reaction times than other cars.
No, you’d be looking in the wrong place. If this is a real problem, Tesla history means nothing because the problem will only manifest itself when people used to one pedal driving switch to a conventional setup. The issue doesn’t come into play while driving the Tesla but rather in any other vehicle the driver uses on occasion.

Let‘s say I have a Model S which I drive regularly and an older E class I drive on occasion. All will be well while driving the S since I’m used to one pedal and it has one pedal driving, plus it has additional safety systems to compensate for less-than-ideal reaction time. Now I get into my E class which relies on a brake pedal for appreciable slowing and it has no modern collision prevention or mitigation systems. If I am involved in a collision because the Model S one pedal driving dulled my reaction time by a fraction of a second, the cause of the accident could be driver error, but the vehicle involved will DEFINITELY be a Mercedes and NOT a Tesla.

Basically, my concern is that one pedal purveyors set us up for a different way of driving which works great in vehicles which support it, but they give no thought to, and take no responsibility for, the effect that has when the driver switches to a vehicle which requires rapid use of a brake pedal.

If anything, makers of advanced EVs with one pedal driving and other driver assistance could reasonably point to that E class crash and say it demonstrates the inherent safety advantage of their vehicles. They may not even consider that training drivers not to use the brake pedal contributed to the crash.

I know this is speculation on my part, but given my experience when switching between vehicles with regular and adaptive cruise control, plus the mere fraction of a second it would take to make an appreciable difference, I think this falls into the category of reasonable concern versus unreasonable concern or even FUD. Hopefully I did a better job explaining this.

If you are uncomfortable with it, don't use it.
As I mentioned elsewhere I’m definitely using it once all vehicles I own support it. However, in a mixed vehicle environment the benefit is nowhere near the potential risk for me... unless I’m missing some major benefit of one pedal versus reduced regen.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

unless I’m missing some major benefit of one pedal versus reduced regen.
As I stated just above, (you might not have read it before making this post), one pedal regen kicks and starts slowing the vehicle before I can move my foot onto the brake pedal in a situation where I need to make an emergency stop. The only time I could see it increasing stopping distance is in a situation where I might already be slowing down and someone suddenly cuts me off. My foot won't already be on the brake pedal to stab it and I'll need to move my foot over still. This situation doesn't happen very often and I've never accidentally stabbed the throttle pedal instead of the brake pedal, but I could see the potential of that occurring for some people.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

As I stated just above, (you might not have read it before making this post), one pedal regen kicks and starts slowing the vehicle before I can move my foot onto the brake pedal in a situation where I need to make an emergency stop.
I totally get that braking-on-accelerator-lift advantage, but you don’t need an EV setup for one pedal to have it. My Ford uses AEB to achieve the same advantage. I addressed this way back in post 69 with, “I‘m making an assumption that even with minimal regen, the Rivian will use AEB when there is sudden accelerator lift combined with obstacle detection.” So I assume that the Rivian will behave the same way when collision avoidance is the goal. If there is no collision imminent and I quickly lift off the accelerator then I expect one pedal will bring me to a quick stop versus minimal regen which will allow the vehicle to roll as if it were an ICE with automatic transmission. So, different behavior than one pedal but familiar and there shouldn’t be the same urgency as during a panic stop to prevent hitting something.

The only time I could see it increasing stopping distance is in a situation where I might already be slowing down and someone suddenly cuts me off. My foot won't already be on the brake pedal to stab it and I'll need to move my foot over still.
That sounds right to me and I promise I never said one pedal increases stopping distance in the vehicle which supports one pedal.

Instead, I’m speculating that getting used to one pedal will dull my reaction time which comes into play only when driving another vehicle which requires use of a brake pedal. I may be cautious, but given the distance difference with sub-second reaction times, I don’t think I’m being unreasonably cautious when 1/10th of a second slower reaction time means coming to rest almost 10 feet further down the road at 65mph.

So, if AEB eliminates the braking on accelerator lift advantage of one pedal, what other major benefits while driving an EV offset my potential increase in reaction time and stopping distance while driving a vehicle which requires use of a brake pedal and which doesn’t have AEB? All I come up with in the pro column for one pedal for me are increased energy capture via max regen and not having to move my foot as much. Of course, the positive of not having to move my foot as much just reinforces my concern about muscle memory and reaction time when I’m driving my other vehicle(s). I still admit that I may be missing something, but I haven’t heard it yet.

Again, I’m not saying one pedal is bad, just that I see a potential risk given my circumstances. I’m basically in my mid-50s and not exactly an elite athlete. So far I suspect I’m hardly unique on this forum. Beyond that, I’ll be switching between two SUVs without clutch pedals, with almost the same shape and mass, with light colored interiors, but where one has no collision mitigation or prevention and the other has both. Given all that, I‘d rather keep the braking behavior of both similar so I don’t get lazy/slow from driving the new one. Then when I switch to the old one which requires more driver involvement, I know that I haven’t done anything avoidable which could potentially increase my reaction time. I’m not saying anybody else has the same set of circumstances or should have the same concern.

This situation doesn't happen very often and I've never accidentally stabbed the throttle pedal instead of the brake pedal, but I could see the potential of that occurring for some people.
If you’re old enough to remember the Audi 5000 unintended acceleration issue then you know some people can definitely hit the wrong pedal. As far as I know, no current driver assistance system will save you if you have the accelerator floored.

edit: fixed a mangled quote tag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think you are saying that if you get trained up to brake by releasing the skinny pedal only you may lose your reflexive skill at slamming on the brake pedal as you would in an ICE car. Is that right?
Not quite. It’s not only me, which is why I referred to OTHER PEOPLE, but this is speculation, even for myself.
If you are dinging me for sloppy English I must say "guilty". Here we go in proper English:

I think you are saying that if one gets trained up to brake by releasing the skinny pedal only he may lose his reflexive skill at slamming on the brake pedal as one would in an ICE car.

Is that right now?

No, you’d be looking in the wrong place. If this is a real problem, Tesla history means nothing because the problem will only manifest itself when people used to one pedal driving switch to a conventional setup.
Then I think the problem is undetectable unless some graduate student pours over the nation's delayed braking accident reports to see how many of the ICE drivers have recently driven a Tesla. Maybe you can get funding from Gordon Johnson.

The issue doesn’t come into play while driving the Tesla but rather in any other vehicle the driver uses on occasion.

I know this is speculation on my part, but given my experience when switching between vehicles with regular and adaptive cruise control, plus the mere fraction of a second it would take to make an appreciable difference, I think this falls into the category of reasonable concern versus unreasonable concern or even FUD. Hopefully I did a better job explaining this.
I have certainly had the experience of reaching for the emergency brake in the wrong place when driving my wife's car or when returning to my car after having driven a rental for a couple of weeks on a trip and most dramatically, on heading down the wrong side of the road after a month or 2 in the land of Oz. Only the last one has ever been, IMO, dangerous but I survived. But what's to be done. Not go to Australia? We're going to one pedal driving and ICE vehicles are going to disappear so we are just going to have to get used to it. We can handle the difference between Jake braking and friction braking. We ought to be able to handle the transition 1 pedal.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Thought it might be interesting to start over with a clean sheet of paper. And it was - helped me to put it into perspective. Hope it might do the same for some of you.

- How does the vehicle know when to apply regen braking - what if I just want to coast (no brake, no acceleration)?
When the vehicle is driving it uses it whenever it is necessary to slow the vehicle. It will never use the friction brake unless it has to as that wastes energy. Sometimes it has to and energy is wasted.

It is much the same when you are driving except that you have some choice in how closely you want to mimic the computer. The option to use it is always there and it will be used whenever it is necessary to slow the vehicle faster than drag, rolling resistance and/or grade slow it as long as you don't turn it off.

No brake/no acceleration: With a 1 pedal configuration this is achieved by depressing/releasing the skinny pedal to keep the power meter at 0. The motors are neither drawing current (producing torque) not generating current (absorbing torque).

- How much does the regen braking slow the vehicle? Is that adjustable? If adjustable - through settings or something more dynamic (like paddles??)?
The decelleration is given by a simple formula

a = k*Pm/(m*v*g)

a
is decelleration in g's
k is a gain constant equal to 1 if you select full regen and to some positive value less than 1 if you select partial regen or 0 if you turn it off.
Pm is the maximum power that the battery is allowed to absorb. It's usually a bit less than the numerical capacity of the battery. For example P may be 70 - 80 kW for a 100 kWh battery.
m is the mass of the vehicle
v is it's speed
g is the gravitational constant (m*g is the vehicle weight).

k, and, thus, the decelleration at any particular speed, can be controlled in several ways. Cars that have full 1 pedal driving allow k to be adjusted between 0 and 1 by positioning the skinny pedal. This is a perfectly natural movement. Just as, in an ICE car, you relieve pedal pressure a wee bit if you creep too much over the speed limit and rely on "Jake breaking" *, drag and rolling resistance, to slow you down so here you do the same thing except that it is regen, drag and rolling resistance that slows you down. Some cars (e.g. Bolt and Rivian) allow the driver to configure the system such that the full range cannot be controlled by the pedal. In these cases unless other means are used to get k up to 1 full regen braking is not available and potential energy savings will be lost. The Bolt offers 2 means to do this. One is a paddle on the steering wheel. The other is by putting some k control into the brake (fat) pedal (blended braking). Duck's report only tells us that Rivian has 4 modes (full, 2 intermediate, and off) but not whether paddle or fat pedal control is available.

- How much re-charging actually happens?
That depends on how you use regen and on where you drive. If you drive on level terrain at constant speed it won't be used much at all. If you are in stop and go traffic and/or in hilly country it will be used a great deal. Every time you slow down for a traffic light it recaptures the kinetic energy that you put into the car when you came up to speed (less that taken by drag, rolling resistance). Every time you go down a hill it recaptures the potential energy you put into the car.

Rivian R1T R1S Regen Braking for Beginners.... I have questions Regenus

Here's an example from a recent drive. As you can see autopilot was on and so all the regen (when the power line is below 0) came from going down hills. I have taken trips where the battery charge is greater at the end than at the beginning.

- I've seen mention of "crawl mode" (in Tesla's I presume) - what the heck is that? Will Rivian have that?
One of the main goals of every BEV manufacturer is to maximize range. That means following the "never touch the brake pedal unless you have to" rule. To come to a complete stop you have to. The main problem with the "blended braking" approach is that it it hard to adhere to the rule precisely. Tesla was actually able to pick up several miles in EPA range by having the computer do the blending so at the very last second it takes over, brings the car to a complete stop and holds it. You never put your foot on the brake whilst slowing and there is no need to put it on the brake in order to hold the car in place - even on a hill. Some people, of course, don't like that so they added another option which makes the car behave like an ICE car with an automatic transmission. It will crawl forward at slow speed unless you put your foot on the brake or put it in Park.

- Is the regen braking system separate from the regular brake mechanism?
In the Tesla implementation where the choices for regen are on or off, ostensibly yes. But in reality where torque vectoring is done partly by differential braking they are coupled through the controll computer. In a system like the Bolt fat pedal position/pressure has to interpreted and transmitted to the inverters so the simple answer is "no".

- Any maintenance over time of the regen system?
No, no more than any other system in the car.

- What exactly is "one peddle" driving? Is this something Rivian will sort-of enable? How?
One pedal driving refers to a system where the regen is fully controllable via one pedal - the skinny one. You can control the power sent to the motors or taken from the motors over the entire range of possibility with just that one pedal. It is not necessary to move paddles or levers or press another pedal to get full regen.

- How much do we know about how this will all work within the Rivian platform (R1T / R1S)?
Thanks to Duck a lot more than we did when these questions were asked. In particular we know 1 pedal driving will be available fully if you select the max option and sort of if you select one of the others. We don't know how you will get full regen in one of the "sort of" modes. Tesla assumes drivers will be smart enough to figure out full one pedal (or doesn't care whether they are or aren't). GM does not make that assumption. We don't know exactly how Rivian will handle this aspect of it. We'll find out soon enough.

This all might seem a bit overwhelming but please understand that one does not go down the road solving math equations nor even monitoring the P meter, though it is there if one wants to. You do it mostly by the seat of your pants just as you did in an ICE car. My wife told me that her father, when teaching her to drive, had instructed her to keep her foot off the brake pedal. I know damn well his instruction also included "unless you need to" but I really don't want to talk about that. Regen is nothing more than a way to get you the benefits of that learning without the inconveniene it brought. Think of hypermileing.

*The whole reason for regen is that unlike Jake braking (using the engine as an air compressor) which wastes the energy that is being removed from the vehicle regen recaptures it (or a good part of it).

Last edited:

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

If you are dinging me for sloppy English I must say "guilty". Here we go in proper English:

I think you are saying that if one gets trained up to brake by releasing the skinny pedal only he may lose his reflexive skill at slamming on the brake pedal as one would in an ICE car.

Is that right now?
I wasn’t dinging you for sloppy English. I think you’re being too specific by including the word, “only.”

Here is the core of our discussion: I am speculating that it is possible for at least one person to lose at least 1/10 second of reaction time for braking when they have become accustomed to one pedal driving and then go back to a conventional setup without AEB and which requires braking by the driver to bring the vehicle to a stop.

You are disagreeing with me which means that your stance is that it is impossible for at least one person to lose at least 1/10 second of reaction time for braking when they have become accustomed to one pedal driving and then go back to a conventional setup without AEB and which requires braking by the driver to bring the vehicle to a stop.

If you truly think that it is impossible for at least one person in the world to worsen their braking reaction times by at least 1/10 second after growing accustomed to one pedal driving, then I don’t know how to have a reasonable discussion with you on this topic.

The issue doesn’t come into play while driving the Tesla but rather in any other vehicle the driver uses on occasion.
Yes, exactly what I’ve been saying all along.

I have certainly had the experience of reaching for the emergency brake in the wrong place when driving my wife's car or when returning to my car after having driven a rental for a couple of weeks on a trip…
Right, now imagine how many tenths of a second it took you took to realize the mistake and consider that when the issue is braking at freeway speeds you travel nearly another 10 feet for every tenth of a second you delay. Then think of how many times over your years of driving you’ve panic stopped and 10 feet would’ve meant the difference between nearly crashing into something and actually crashing into something.

…and most dramatically, on heading down the wrong side of the road after a month or 2 in the land of Oz. Only the last one has ever been, IMO, dangerous but I survived. But what's to be done. Not go to Australia? We're going to one pedal driving and ICE vehicles are going to disappear so we are just going to have to get used to it. We can handle the difference between Jake braking and friction braking. We ought to be able to handle the transition 1 pedal.
I’ve driven on the left side of the road on many vacations over the years and I only had a problem adjusting between the two on one trip. That was the time the car I rented on a drive-on-the-left island was meant for drive-on-the-right roads. Sitting on the “normal” side of the car made me more inclined to drive on the “normal“ side of the road at first.

Here is an example of a similar issue which may resonate with you. If you’re at least as old as I am, when you learned to drive there was no 4 wheel ABS so you were taught to pump the brakes or use threshold braking if conditions warranted it. Back then I was good at those techniques out of necessity. With 4 wheel ABS we were told that to minimize stopping distance and retain steering we should simply apply the brake pedal as quickly and forcefully as possible and continue to steer to avoid the crash. If I got in a car without 4 wheel ABS today I am 100% certain that my new muscle memory would make me less effective at the old techniques. Do I regret this? No. Why? Because 4 wheel ABS brings a huge safety improvement during a panic stop.

On the other hand, one pedal driving in a modern EV (with AEB and other safety equipment) compared to conventional driving in a modern EV (with AEB and other safety equipment) gives me better regen, which is nice, but no safety benefit which I can identify. The AEB levels the playing field on panic stops between one pedal and conventional setups. What other advantages does one pedal driving bring to me to overcome the possibility of creating worse reaction times in every other older vehicle I drive which has a conventional setup and no AEB? I‘m legitimately open to hearing what else one pedal brings to the table. Well, anything other than easier driving by not using a brake, which only reinforces my concerns about switching between one pedal and conventional vehicles. This isn’t the first time I’ve asked about this and I haven’t seen any rewards to balance my risk.

edit: typo

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
If you truly think that it is impossible for at least one person in the world to worsen their braking reaction times by at least 1/10 second after growing accustomed to one pedal driving, then I don’t know how to have a reasonable discussion with you on this topic.
While I do agree that someone, somewhere, at sometime may have an accident attributable to precisely the mechanism you are describing it certainly isn't something that I would worry about based on my life experience and so do not. I also agree that reasonable discussion is not probable.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
My X front wheels have more brake dust than some of my ICE cars of years past. I use regen/one pedal a lot but if you touch the brakes they come ON and there is no feathering that I can detect.

Especially a few white knuckle autopilot moments where coming up on a curve on a highway and you see traffic stop but the car sure didn't.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
In Tesla the only time there is blending of regen and brake is when the car comes to a stop and hill hold is on and, of course, when autopilot is driving and finds regen alone insufficient at slowing the car.

To verify your observation look at the power meter as you apply brake. Does stepping on the wide pedal increase the power going to the battery?

The question here is as to how Rivian has implemented regen control. We know there will be more options than in the Tesla portfolio but that's about it at this point. They are supposed to be posting the owner's manual soon and we will see then.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In Tesla the only time there is blending of regen and brake is when the car comes to a stop and hill hold is on and, of course, when autopilot is driving and finds regen alone insufficient at slowing the car.

To verify your observation look at the power meter as you apply brake. Does stepping on the wide pedal increase the power going to the battery?

The question here is as to how Rivian has implemented regen control. We know there will be more options than in the Tesla portfolio but that's about it at this point. They are supposed to be posting the owner's manual soon and we will see then.
To clarify word choice here. When you're talking about "blending" regen, you're specifically talking about increasing regen with the break pedal and then eventually adding in a mechanical break. You're you're not intentionally implying that the tesla doesn't do any region when you also apply the break pedal? Right? I thought the moment you fully lifted off the accelerator it did full regen, and then any break is in addition to the regen. To flip your question on it's head, does stepping on the wide pedal decrease the power going to the battery?
Sponsored