A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
To clarify word choice here.
Probably a good idea. And probably a good idea to reiterate that we are talking the system as implemented by Tesla.

When you're talking about "blending" regen, you're specifically talking about increasing regen with the break pedal and then eventually adding in a mechanical break.
Yes.

You're you're not intentionally implying that the tesla doesn't do any region when you also apply the break pedal? Right?
Right. Unless you turn tt off it is always on.

I thought the moment you fully lifted off the accelerator it did full regen, and then any break is in addition to the regen.
Yes.

To flip your question on it's head, does stepping on the wide pedal decrease the power going to the battery?
It definitely decreases the energy going to the battery which is why you don't want to do it if you don't have to. Power is a trickier question because I don't know what the controller does when it senses foot off the skinny pedal and on the brake pedal. It could do nothing (leave regen full on) or it could do something else.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
To flip your question on it's head, does stepping on the wide pedal decrease the power going to the battery?
Not in the moment, but potential energy is lost to heat thru the use of friction brakes.

If you need to stop faster than regen will allow, then there is no choice. But to recapture as much energy as possible, decelerating at a rate than can be achieved thru regen is more efficient. Sometimes you can anticipate the need to slow, sometimes not.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not in the moment, but potential energy is lost to heat thru the use of friction brakes.
This is going to be confusing. Both kinetic (inertial) and potential (gravittional) energy are involved. On a flat road it will be only kinetic energy that is lost or saved. Coming down a hill mostly potential. Some of the kinetic energy is stored in the rotational momentum of the wheels which obviously involves their rotational moments but this is not potential energy.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks @DucRider and @ajdelange. That's consistent with was my understanding was/is. If regen is A and mechanical breaking is B, I wanted to clarify AJ wasn't suggesting that the total force to slow the car is A OR B, rather than A+B.
Sponsored