Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When talking to RJ at the Vancouver event, he brought up the R2 line, and he was seriously chomping at the bit to talk about it. He said he wanted to pull out his phone and show pictures, which obviously he didn’t. But he was visibly excited. It came up in reference to my wife’s car (a Golf) so I suspect they’ll definitely be going after a different demographic with this line. I’m looking forward to what they have going there.
Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Ford Mach E ranges
That increase in Ford Mach-e was simply due to buffer reduction that Ford set aside in the battery to not allow it to charge over it. They deemed the buffer was too large beacuse state of charge can be brought near absolute maximum and no battery degradation occurs. There is no change in any chemistry or physical layout. My Mach-e's battery, according to Carscanner is at 99.5% health after about 1 year of usage and 10k miles. Not bad at all.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
When talking to RJ at the Vancouver event, he brought up the R2 line, and he was seriously chomping at the bit to talk about it. He said he wanted to pull out his phone and show pictures, which obviously he didn’t. But he was visibly excited. It came up in reference to my wife’s car (a Golf) so I suspect they’ll definitely be going after a different demographic with this line. I’m looking forward to what they have going there.
I really hope that they have learned their lesson with early announcements, pictures, reservations, pricing, etc. etc. Do what most others do - release a few close ups, a dark silhouette, a cloth draped picture of the whole vehicle, etc. over time to keep interest high without giving it all away up front. And certainly don't set pricing and delivery dates like they did with the R1 !!!!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
My phone also does that without burning 4kWh a day. There's actually no conceivable way I can use said phone (or my laptop even) that will take that much power in a day. 25% of my daily energy use is going to an unused vehicle in my garage, it's asinine.

If there's any 'battery management' that needs to occur in a 40-80f shaded environment than the system is poorly calibrated, those are ideal storage conditions.
Something is wrong with your truck. Mine is like 1% a day at those temps.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I've lost over 4% in a day, but it's a good bit colder than 40-80 (think 30-40). It's not good.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I haven't listened to it, but I wouldn't have too much enthusiasm for increased range. Ford Mach E ranges increased by 3 miles to 17 miles (https://insideevs.com/news/555287/2022-ford-mache-more-range/) for 2021 vs 2022. More range is obviously better, but I would not expect anything significant. Rivian could be unlocking more of their battery, or maybe slight software changes, or maybe they will be losing weight for new builds.
Just like Tesla, they improve efficiency as they learn. Just in the way the vehicle uses its power, which leads to better efficiency. Tesla had constant updates that improved efficiency, resulting in better range. Ford did the same. 5 miles more range is a good thing. 17 miles more range from the same battery size would be a very good thing (5%) for doing nothing on our end!! I'll gladly take it!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My phone also does that without burning 4kWh a day. There's actually no conceivable way I can use said phone (or my laptop even) that will take that much power in a day. 25% of my daily energy use is going to an unused vehicle in my garage, it's asinine.

If there's any 'battery management' that needs to occur in a 40-80f shaded environment than the system is poorly calibrated, those are ideal storage conditions.
I’m nowhere near 4kWh of vampire drain per day. 1% has been about max (which IMO is still unacceptable). Anyone actually seeing those numbers still? (note: GearGuard is Off)
As @mikehmb noted, they are not using anywhere near 4kwh per day typically. I usually see about 1% per day, and at least some of that is may simply be tied to the battery temp dropping and not actually phantom drain. It increases further when cold, but some of that is also literally due to changing battery temp and not phantom drain. For example, I've had the BMS say SOC increased as the battery warmed up.

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Your Subaru also doesn't do anything while it's sitting there. The R1 is phoning home every once in awhile, it's available for you to ping from the app, and it's managing battery temps to protect the battery.

They need to continue to improve drain, which they've acknowledged, but it's not an appropriate comparison.
Actually, my 2018 Outback drained three batteries to death over the nearly 5 years I had it. I think the shortest time period was 9-10 days, sitting in the garage, not being driven or disturbed. Subaru replaced all three "under warranty". Rivian isn't the only manufacturer out there dealing with battery drain.

pat----

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’m nowhere near 4kWh of vampire drain per day. 1% has been about max (which IMO is still unacceptable). Anyone actually seeing those numbers still? (note: GearGuard is Off)
Very much so. With temps in the 10s and 20s F and the truck parked outside, I see about 5% loss in 24 hours. That is Over 6kWh! In the (cold) garage it drops to about 3% per 24 hours but that is still a lot. In the summer (70s-90s) it has hovered around 2.5% per 24 hours which I think is the case for a lot of folks. The only time ive ever seen less than 1% was in shipping mode during the summer.

EDIT: these are numbers with GG off. added clarifying detail

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Whole interview well worth a listen. Over all take away, 2022 was tough start because of complex vehicles, 4 vehicles, one new factory, and severe supply chain bottlenecks. He anticipates 2023 being much smoother as a second shift is added to the production day and there are fewer assembly line stoppages.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Something is wrong with your truck. Mine is like 1% a day at those temps.
I've reported it to them - they just haven't gotten back to me yet with a real answer. I have no doubt something's wrong, but I have seen some others complain as well not just me.

In the past I've seen 1-2% which, while still quite wasteful wouldn't bother me so much. I think I'm a bit sour because I left it over half charged on a recent vacation and had to have someone go to my house to plug it in so it didn't go flat and kill the 12V system. I know people say "just leave it plugged in" but it's just something I hadn't really had to think about. I've taken many similar trips and come back to start my other car and it's fine. The one time it didn't Subaru replaced my battery under warranty (defective batteries ultimately drove that class action suit - I have the letter right here).

I think what annoys me the most is just how un-seriously it's handled. I took my Subaru to the dealer and they tested the battery and replaced it in a half hour. On my first call to Rivian they told me the 6% daily drain I saw at the time was normal. I did contact them again and followed a procedure to generate some logs for them, but that was 2 weeks ago and it's been crickets.

Anyways - apologies to you all I don't mean to derail this thread too much. I'm just frustrated and shouting into the void because it's not something I'm able to fix.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I've reported it to them - they just haven't gotten back to me yet with a real answer. I have no doubt something's wrong, but I have seen some others complain as well not just me.

In the past I've seen 1-2% which, while still quite wasteful wouldn't bother me so much. I think I'm a bit sour because I left it over half charged on a recent vacation and had to have someone go to my house to plug it in so it didn't go flat and kill the 12V system. I know people say "just leave it plugged in" but it's just something I hadn't really had to think about. I've taken many similar trips and come back to start my other car and it's fine. The one time it didn't Subaru replaced my battery under warranty (defective batteries ultimately drove that class action suit - I have the letter right here).

I think what annoys me the most is just how un-seriously it's handled. I took my Subaru to the dealer and they tested the battery and replaced it in a half hour. On my first call to Rivian they told me the 6% daily drain I saw at the time was normal. I did contact them again and followed a procedure to generate some logs for them, but that was 2 weeks ago and it's been crickets.

Anyways - apologies to you all I don't mean to derail this thread too much. I'm just frustrated and shouting into the void because it's not something I'm able to fix.
I fully understand the part of them taking it seriously enough. I don't understand why they don't have a mobile, rapid response team, that goes to any report from a service center that shows a global issue might exist, tear into it immediately, and implement a fix asap.

I figure this is a growing pain, and to a degree...I think the market will accept it. I just don't know where that line in the sand is.

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I'm too lazy to listen. Did he imply max pack would be ready before 2024? I'm going to buy a new GMC Canyon in the meantime before my max pack is ready, even though I'm very tempted by some awesome builds in the R1T shop.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Ya know, we've all been told that this truck has a 135kWh battery, then I see this today.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ya know, we've all been told that this truck has a 135kWh battery, then I see this today.

It is a math thing…. Calculated out at the nominal 3.6 volts the Samsung batteries published spec has it is 135 kWh for the 7776 cells. The image has it at 3.92 volts which would the calculate out to the 141 kWh.

Very curious about the software update RJ mentioned giving more range though. Is it more optimization, reducing the reserve?
Sponsored