Recovery/tow strap recommendations?

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
This year has been a particularly bad mud season and I was thinking it's past due I grabbed a recovery/tow strap to keep with me just in case. Ideally I would like to get one strong enough for the R1T so I could keep it when I swap my subaru for an R1T.

Anyone got any advice on what to get here? Do I need something custom for either the subaru (crosstrek) or rivian?

Any advice is appreciated. I am pretty new to towing things, (I usually just abandon cars whenever the wheels slip and buy a new one).

For reference, here's a pic of our mud season this year:
Rivian R1T R1S Recovery/tow strap recommendations? 1648065018353
Sponsored

Last edited:

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

My favorite is a kinetic rope. They are great at extraction, but also ok for short tows.

edit, any brand in my opinion, but Yankum Ropes is popular.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Rivian’s off road recovery kit has a 30’ Factor 55 strap, they’re very nice.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Bubba Ropes are pretty good. A few guys have them back home and they haven’t had one fail yet. It’s a kinetic rope, like what av8or mentioned, so they stretch a bit like a rubber band. Really gives you an extra bit of oomph for extraction when someone is buried in the mud. Non-stretch ropes, cables, and chains are better for towing or light pulls out of a ditch/snow.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I'm a bit agnostic on brand, but would recommend using a heavier duty version (7500lbs+) with canvas loops at each end rather than metal hooks. Metal devices can become projectiles if something gives.

Same goes for attaching a tow strap to a tow ball, which many use as an anchoring point and it can end up snapping at the ball joint and becoming a flying heavy metal object under stress.

In our truck we keep both a tow strap and a D-Ring hitch attachment like linked below. We end up being the tow vehicle most of the time but what goes around comes around.

MaxxTow Tow Strap Loop for 2" Trailer Hitches - 10,000 lbs MaxxTow Tow Shackles MT70029 (etrailer.com)

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Hit up Youtube and watch a few videos. There's lots of good advice on the various options available and what is best for any given situations. The advice given in this thread is also good so far.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
As aluded to by av8or and EVnewb, it is worth taking the time to understand the difference between a recovery rope and tow strap.

They really are not interchangeable, especially with heavier vehicles. This does not mean they can't be used for their opposite uses in an 'emergency'. But the less you know, the more likely you are to get a very nasty surprise, especially when using the wrong tool.

Re: your question, " Do I need something custom for either the subaru (crosstrek) or rivian? ":

Tow strap: I'd get one appropriate for the Rivian's weight. I can be used with the Subaru just fine.

Kinetic recovery rope (for your mud extraction!): If you really want to get the most out a rope, follow Bubba Rope's advice (emphasis theirs):

Which Recovery Rope do I need?
There is no official working load limit on using Bubba Power Stretch Recovery Ropes. However, from thousands of successful recoveries we recommend that the best method in selecting the right rope is by multiplying the weight of the stuck vehicle by 3.5 or 4 times and then selecting the rope that has a breaking strength that is equal to or higher than that number.​
For example: if you are going to be recovering vehicles similar in size to a Jeep which weighs approximately 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. our Renegade Bubba Rope with a breaking strength of 19,000 lbs. would be perfect for that application. Similarly, half-ton pickups that usually weigh 6,000 – 7,000 lbs. the best fit would be our Original Bubba with a breaking strength of 28,600 lbs.​
And I agree, Factor 55 only sells great stuff. It looks like (to me) looks like Rivian might use Factor 55 stuff in their Off-Road recovery kit.

Un-asked for advice to all: Make sure to watch as many recovery videos as you can and don't try anything you are not comfortable with after doing so. It is very easy to damage a vehicle or more importantly a human during what would appear to be a simple recovery.

* edit - others were faster, but perhaps this is still useful

OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thank you all, really appreciate the suggestions. I am watching some youtube vids now!

Does anyone use traction boards at all?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
And I agree, Factor 55 only sells great stuff. It looks like (to me) looks like Rivian might use Factor 55 stuff in their Off-Road recovery kit.
the rivian kit is factor 55, with the gloves being warn branded. FWIW Factor 55 was bought by warn not too long ago.

this company is making the bags for Rivian’s kits, which is something I’m surprised they’re not advertising

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Thank you all, really appreciate the suggestions. I am watching some youtube vids now!

Does anyone use traction boards at all?
I’ve used my Maxtrax a few times, in deep sand or snow in CO & UT, and will plan to carry them in my Rivian. I see Rivian is offering them on their Gear page, though out of stock (try buying them elsewhere).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
The soft shackles (included in the Rivian recovery bag) are nice and easy to connect to a variety of tow hooks where a standard metal shackle often won't fit. Quite versatile and easier/quieter to store in the truck. https://factor55.com/product/1-2-standard-duty-soft-shackle/

Beyond that, the picture above is exactly why I run mud tires. All-terrain tires just don't cut it in the deep stuff.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The soft shackles (included in the Rivian recovery bag) are nice and easy to connect to a variety of tow hooks where a standard metal shackle often won't fit. Quite versatile and easier/quieter to store in the truck. https://factor55.com/product/1-2-standard-duty-soft-shackle/

Beyond that, the picture above is exactly why I run mud tires. All-terrain tires just don't cut it in the deep stuff.
The soft shackles are also much safer for most users as well.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Definitely get yourself some solid recovery boards. From my experience those will get you out of nearly anything except the absolute worst stuck situations. I also recommend getting 4 or even 6 boards - especially on a 4WD vehicle you want to be able to get them under all 4 wheels, and if you're in a really bad spot, it helps to be able to lay down a bit of a 'track' in front of the vehicle with them so you have time to get momentum before getting bogged back down.

Just beware your wheel suddenly catching and slamming the boards so deep into the mud you'll never find them again. I always get in the habit of tying about a 6' length of rope to the end of mine so if they get buried in sand/mud/snow I can use the rope to help find them/pull them out.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

In that kind of mud I would go for a kinetic rope for sure. YouTube is your friend.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I really appreciate this thread. Never done any off-roading before but I'd say theres a better chance I will once I have my R1T. But there have been situations I've been in before where I needed to give or get a pull. So down the YouTube rabbit hole I've gone and found some good basic/first step videos on setup and safety. Obviously there is plenty more to learn for myself and others who are just starting out. Just thought I would share in case others are interested.

Sponsored