Sponsored

Recovery rope thickness

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I'm updating some of my recovery gear given how heavy the truck is.

What's the recommended kinetic recovery rope thickness for the Rivian? 7/8" or 1"?
Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Brand quality can make a difference and bigger is usually better if you can afford it. Try and stick with a reputable brand. Itā€™s hard to do though sometimes because with winch brands, for example, you pay more for that big red W on the front. That said, Iā€™d trust a 7/8ā€ Bubba Rope over a cheaper 1ā€ no-name brand on Amazon.

The amount of time you use the rope is also important. As an emergency backup once a year type of thing, having anything is better than nothing. But if youā€™re planning on getting out more often, Iā€™d stick with quality and cry once.

Also know the difference between a tow rope and a kinetic recovery rope. They are not meant to be interchangeable and thereā€™s a reason for the price difference.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
This might help: https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/size-kinetic-recovery-rope/

Recommendation is to select a breaking strength at least 3x the weight of the heaviest vehicle you might recover.
Breaking strength might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so the specified rated strength might be a better parameter to use than diameter.
Please let us know what you go with.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Here's what TreatyOak Kinetic Rope recommends for their ropes:

We recommend using your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) x4 to find the appropriate rope, if you fit between sizes, round up.

3/4" - Tensile Strenght - 19,000 lbs

7/8" - Tensile Strength 28,330 lbs

1-1/16" - Tensile Strength 39,000 lbs

I need to double-check what mine is rated at since I bought it years ago for my Tacoma. I did pull an ambulance out of a ditch with it once so I might be ok... šŸ˜…

EDIT: Double checked and mine is the 20' 7/8" rope rated at 28,330lbs. Ideally I would need a 1" or 1-1/16" rope but I think I'll stick with what I have for now.

The R1Ts GVWR is 8532 (x4 = 34,128). I'm a bit under what I "need" but time will tell.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
mroe

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've used a 7/8" ASR rope for years now and their quality is top notch. Also, how you secure the rope/strap to the vehicle is equally important! Get good soft and hard shackles!

Never trust any equipment that doesn't come will a WLL, proof load rating and yield strength rating, and inspect before use.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
As a millwright I seen many rigging mishaps.
donā€™t go undersize. Use the proper size needed. I beg you.
Donā€™t be that guy justā€¦ donā€™tā€¦..

Maybe a little pricey now. But better than a hole in the head or costing a bystander a limb, or damage to either vehicle.

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

As a millwright I seen many rigging mishaps.
donā€™t go undersize. Use the proper size needed. I beg you.
Donā€™t be that guy justā€¦ donā€™tā€¦..

Maybe a little pricey now. But better than a hole in the head or costing a bystander a limb, or damage to either vehicle.
Just a side note, the work you guys do is BA. Had the fortune of having good millwrights on some of the auto plant changeovers I worked on, and it made things much less stressful. What you all learn through apprenticeship is as rigorous and disciplined as any top-notch engineering program.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Just a side note, the work you guys do is BA. Had the fortune of having good millwrights on some of the auto plant changeovers I worked on, and it made things much less stressful. What you all learn through apprenticeship is as rigorous and disciplined as any top-notch engineering program.
Oh noā€¦. Youā€™re an engineer?! We curse you guys all the time. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

just Kidding somewhatā€¦.

engineers is tough job. Having to be accountable for something you design. Thatā€™s a lot of pressure.

one of our helpers is going to school for engineering. He says itā€™s pretty tough.

our only gripe with the engineers is when they donā€™t take maintenance into account of the design and we gotta cut and remove a bunch of stuff that is in the way of something we need to get to. Only to have to put it back after lol.

Iā€™m sure you werenā€™t one of those guys tho lol. And thank you for the kind words!
Sponsored