Sponsored

Recommendations for towing a snowmobile?

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi folks, I am new to towing, and trucks, and snowmobiling in general so would love any recommendations or tips for towing a snowmobile. I am about to put a preorder in for a taiga electric snowmobile. I think I would lean towards a open trailer but happy to hear pros and cons. They list the weight at about 600lbs so x2 of those would put me just north of 1200lbs

Someday I could see also towing a jetski, and would like the option of towing things like plywood and other construction bits if I needed to. But again, happy to hear any pointers. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Hi folks, I am new to towing, and trucks, and snowmobiling in general so would love any recommendations or tips for towing a snowmobile. I am about to put a preorder in for a taiga electric snowmobile. I think I would lean towards a open trailer but happy to hear pros and cons. They seems to weight about 600lbs so x2 of those would put me just north of 1200lbs

Someday I could see also towing a jetski, and would like the option of towing things like plywood and other construction bits if I needed to. But again, happy to hear any pointers. Thanks!
I pre-ordered the Taiga (snowmobile and watercraft) "day one" with the idea of towing behind an electric pickup to a pristine clear lake …
I think you can handle it a couple of ways. I like an aero enclosed snowmobile trailer (which I've used behind a Model X since 2016) and that works fine … wide tires, low profile, aero, single axle, all aluminum, light.) But I think Triton stopped making the trailer I was using years ago (it's basically this trailer with a fiberglass cap that hinges front and rear on gas struts.)
https://www.tritontrailers.com/snowmobile/open/
Rivian R1T R1S Recommendations for towing a snowmobile? 1640904425678

This trailer without the cap is also very light (you can push it with two snowmobiles by hand.)

I think this trailer is also an efficient option, but I don't know if it's still in production.
Rivian R1T R1S Recommendations for towing a snowmobile? 1640904785646

But the good news ends there. Even with a light trailer, towing in the snow will cost 30% to 50% of range. The X would cover 200 miles in the snow, or 100 miles towing. EVs are efficient. ICE vehicles are inefficient. So the small percentage increase in work for towing is a small percentage increase for an ICE, but a huge percentage increase for an EV. Plus, it's cold, you're in hilly terrain, pushing through snow … so range plummets. I was always within 30-50 miles of even the more adventurous trailheads, so a 100 mile round trip and a Supercharger nearby made it ok. I'm now driving an F-150 Hybrid which really makes light work of it. Hopefully my R1T shows up in Jan or Feb and I'll hook up the big snowmobile trailer (enclosed v-nose) and I'm sure it will handle the towing duties for short range from the cabin to the steeps.

btw. the trailer I use now behind the F-150 Prius looks a bit like this snopro. Very light. Move it by hand even full of sleds and gear. But tall and you can feel the windage.

Rivian R1T R1S Recommendations for towing a snowmobile? 1640904918293

OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wow thank you, that is amazingly helpful. I have got some research to do!

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I have the second trailer listed. Its extremely light, WIDE at 8'6", so likely would need tow mirrors. I Needed them on my Avalanche and Escalade, so I know I would need them on the R1T. Its light enough that it doesnt even have trailer brakes, and they are not needed.

The downside of most of these trailers is the suspension, using a twist rubber spring. Which do wear out faster than springs. But the twist rubber is MUCH lighter.

With my Triton I can easily store 3 ATV's in it during the off months. I used to store 2 snowmobiles in it, but I sold them until my back hopefully gets better. Havent ridden my ATV's in 3 years now. Hopefully they can be saved.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Just an FYI, the TC series is still made..

https://www.tritontrailers.com/snowmobile/tc/

The TC167 is narrower, and longer. I have never seen one, but I think it would be the one I would get if I had to replace my TC128.

The TC128 is so wide, I cant get it on the road to my cabin. The TC167 would solve that problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: