BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I agree and I always wondered why they were not looking at all of those idle Sears auto centers around the country. Seems like a perfect place to at least use short term to get more locations online. I’m sure there is some reason, just not apparent to me.
I’ll speculate that it’s more a staffing issue than a real estate issue. Things like managing title paperwork, customer dispute processes, walkthroughs, and general product knowledge all take a decent amount of skill and training.

I can see why Rivian would be hesitant to push more inventory to service centers than they could reasonably deliver in a short period of time.
Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Factory is just not setup to be a delivery center. They have a delivery spot... but it doesn't scale. I'm not sure demand would justify building a outbuilding to ramp this up.
I was told by the delivery staff that the plan is to build a more robust delivery center in a different location near the factory or service center. The tiny building behind the factory that they currently use isn’t great.

Last edited:

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Are factory delivered vehicles routed through the Normal SC for PDI? Or do they go directly from the "factory gate" to the onsite delivery center?
The service center contacts you to schedule delivery and then a different team coordinates the tour. I would assume then that every factory delivery goes through the Normal SC for PDI

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I was told by the delivery staff that the plan is to build a more robust delivery center in a different location near the factory or service center. The tiny building behind the factory that they current use isn’t great.
There was talk of this last year. They really need to speed up the execution of good ideas like this. They have the lane, the staff and the idea is not too difficult.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
We took the Factory Tour this past Wednesday (04/26). We saw many just off the line vehicle waiting for inspection. There were more S's than T's. We also noticed that the lots were full of completed vehicles. The guy giving us the tour told us that the bottleneck is the shipping. Rivian can't seem to get the sold vehicles on trucks and trains fast enough.

Brian
I’d bet it would be cheaper for Rivian to fly people to Normal for factory pickup and provide EA charging reimbursement for people to drive it back home. I’d take them up on that offer.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

My rational brain says Rivian should allow -- even encourage -- more factory deliveries. Are they limiting factory deliveries to X number per day?
I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that would actually take time to travel to the middle of Illinois to pick up a vehicle they could just wait an couple extra weeks for at home with no travel. This forum would have a higher percentage than the general population. Am I interested in seeing the factory, yes, but would I have picked factory pick up (2-3 days of traveling) over Brooklyn (5-6 hours of driving total), no.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

3) Rivian is no longer batching configs. Vehicles coming off the line are locked in customer configs. If a customer makes a change or cancels, it goes right to the R1 Shop
If, indeed, it goes right to the R1 Shop (as opposed to looking for another customer order that matches), then that helps explain why people are now seeing their exact configuration in the shop.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that would actually take time to travel to the middle of Illinois
Farmers are optimistic by nature. Optimistic that their seeds will grow. Optimistic that Mother Nature will cooperate. Optimistic that commodity prices will go back up.

I'm stuck in the middle of Illinois because that's where great-grandpa bought land and built a barn to start farming, so I tend to believe it's one of the best places on earth. Yeah, that idea about more factory deliveries may have come from my irrational brain.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

If they add a check box to let people commit to factory delivery, shipping bottleneck less of issue. I am one of the rare birds that moved back to live and work in Central Illinois. After 2.2ish years waiting, I am ready for pick up at Factory, but no way for me to let them know I am easy sale. No trade in, cash sale. If the S breaks I'm prepared to trailer it back to Normal for work.

I think a lot of folks would rather save several weeks and pick up in Normal. Just not sure if they have staff to handle all the possible factory deliveries. When I was there the visitor parking was basically full on a Friday. I think they may be also at limit for factory pickup?

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Passing this along from Facebook because it contains some interesting changes and observations:

"A little tidbit from my Plant tour. R1S’s are being churned out. Rivian cannot quote specific numbers but I was able to deduce the following:

1) R1S production ratio to R1T is approx 3 to 1 (demand)
2) shifts are completing approx 80-90 customer vehicles per shift x 2 shifts = 160-180 customer vehicles per day ( as of right now)
3) Rivian is no longer batching configs. Vehicles coming off the line are locked in customer configs. If a customer makes a change or cancels, it goes right to the R1 Shop
4) R1S shop is light on vehicle inventory merely because the demand for R1S coupled with customer flexibility is so high. That means R1Ss will not last long. You see something you like on the shop, you better jump on it or it will be sold."
Better production!!!!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

We took the Factory Tour this past Wednesday (04/26). We saw many just off the line vehicle waiting for inspection. There were more S's than T's. We also noticed that the lots were full of completed vehicles. The guy giving us the tour told us that the bottleneck is the shipping. Rivian can't seem to get the sold vehicles on trucks and trains fast enough.

Brian
Shipping problem is better than production problem

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I think the Porsche style experience at the factory is a great idea. I recall back in the 90’s when I worked at GM, Saturn had a warranty recall for a wiring issue that could cause a fire in the engine compartment. Conventional wisdom at that time was that the best you could do with a warranty recall was not reduce customer satisfaction too much. Saturn held tutorials at their dealerships as well as a big bbq party where Saturn owners could meet and socialize. Customer satisfaction improved. Having an on-brand experience where enthusiastic owners can meet each other and even, with permission, featuring enthusiastic customer experiences/stories could be great for their brand.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

If these production numbers hold up, then this projects a 61k production for 2023
I thought there were some planned shutdowns later this year which would obviously impact tots numbers.
Also are they running six days a week now?
I am sure they will try harder for the 62k target since that leaked out earlier in the year.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Brian
Congrats on finally getting a truck.

I was at the factory a week ago and the EDVs have to number in the thousands. Amazons pays when produced (not delivered) and Rivian is not responsible for delivery so I don’t think anyone cares that they are stacking up. At some point, however, they will run out of space to park them.

Also -my tour was given by Lucas and he was an awesome guy. It was well worth the time and effort to get the R1 from the factory.
Amazon actually has in the contract that Rivian needs to have X number of EDVs on the lot, ready to be shipped wherever Amazon is ready for them.
Sponsored