First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
not sure how they thought dune running was going to work out with normal all terrain tires. have you ever noticed that all sand vehicles have unique tires with giant fins on them? that's for a reason.
Did the other vehicles have specialty tires for the dunes?
Sponsored

Deleted member 3282

Really? You read about these two getting stuck in the sand dunes and your takeaway is that you'd really love trying out dune running? :)

I'm not making fun of you. It's just that my takeaway from hearing they got stuck is that I never want to try dune running!
Agree. Heavy truck + dune sand = ?. Luckily, lots of other fun opportunities for R1T adventures!

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Really? You read about these two getting stuck in the sand dunes and your takeaway is that you'd really love trying out dune running? :)

I'm not making fun of you. It's just that my takeaway from hearing they got stuck is that I never want to try dune running!
Yes, it was. The response was I see the trucks are getting stuck, but that is ok because I don't think I'll be doing a lot of dunes running. But if there is a workaround Id try it out. I'm open to adventure.

Sounded awful like making fun of someone too!

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Dunes require practice and an optimized setup. There is no reason a Rivian should struggle in dunes more than other heavy trucks. Two basic pointers, really low tire pressure, certainly no more than 20 psi, and keep your speed up. Sharp turns and brakes are going to plant you. The bottoms of 'bowls' is very soft, avoid them like the plague. The downwind side of hills is also super-soft and to be avoided.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Dunes require practice and an optimized setup. There is no reason a Rivian should struggle in dunes more than other heavy trucks. Two basic pointers, really low tire pressure, certainly no more than 20 psi, and keep your speed up. Sharp turns and brakes are going to plant you. The bottoms of 'bowls' is very soft, avoid them like the plague. The downwind side of hills is also super-soft and to be avoided.
Being pedantic for fun with your nice observation of geology in action: the downwind side is "very loose." Fine grained soils (silt and clay) get the soft to hard adjectives. Coarse grained are loose dense. ?

It is interesting that MT also got stuck in the sand though. Makes me wonder how these are going to perform in different snow environments (not implying good/bad).

Sponsored

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Being pedantic for fun with your nice observation of geology in action: the downwind side is "very loose." Fine grained soils (silt and clay) get the soft to hard adjectives. Coarse grained are loose dense. ?

It is interesting that MT also got stuck in the sand though. Makes me wonder how these are going to perform in different snow environments (not implying good/bad).
The 'soft' sand gets so soft, that it is hard to even walk in it. Is it so fine it will go through air filters. It's nothing like beach sand. Even with paddle tires and a tube chassis you can get stuck in the soft stuff. It's human nature to try and ride valley to valley to go across, or to try and go straight up an incline, but neither are effective. You are riding near the crest of the dunes on the upwind side in a serpentine fashion. Once you spend a few days in the dunes, you learn to read the terrain and know where you can slow down and where you can turn. You can't just go anywhere you like, not even on a motorcycle. You learn to pick your lines and look far ahead to reach your goals. I'm positive you'll see some videos of Rivians conquering the dunes by next year.

This is a >8,000 lb Kodiak medium duty truck on smooth 22.5" transport tires (semi-truck) at Glamis Sand Dunes. He goes places in that beast that sand rails get stuck in.

Rivian R1T R1S Rebelle Rally starts up for Rivian R1T piloted by Emme and Rebecca! johnny

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The 'soft' sand gets so soft, that it is hard to even walk in it. Is it so fine it will go through air filters. It's nothing like beach sand.
Oh, I know what you're talking about. From an engineering standpoint it's still described as very loose and not soft. I was just being pedantic for fun (as noted).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It is worth noting that you are not allowed to enter the rally without fairly extensive driver training. Although it is possible that their tiny lady brains didn't retain the basics of driving on sand beforehand, I guess.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It’s worth noting that the Motor Trend guys got the R1T stuck on the beach in OR in section 5 of the TAT adventure. Maybe inexperience on their side but what they got stuck in didn’t look like much.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s worth noting that the Motor Trend guys got the R1T stuck on the beach in OR in section 5 of the TAT adventure. Maybe inexperience on their side but what they got stuck in didn’t look like much.
by their own admission they were real excited to drive on the beach and just dove in :giggle:

Sponsored