First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What conclusions can one draw from this about the R1T and/or hybrid/electric off-roading?
Not a ton. It's less a race and more navigation (as I understand it).
Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Partially correct, @SeaGeo . Navigation, without GPS or mapping software, is a big part of it, and it is not a speed race for sure. However, part of navigation is performing off-road 10 to 12 hours a day, and your hardware must endure that while overcoming off-road obstacles.

I have done a couple of on-road rallies previously, and to me, the navigation, timing (avg. speed maintenance), and optional blue/black diamonds were really tough, and on-road performance was not a challenge as expected. However, off-road, I think the challenge increases several folds, although I do not know first-hand.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I don’t think we can generalize much about electrification from the leaderboard.

That was my first thought as well, but upon reflection the Rivian’s advantage is primarily the four motors, and the fact that it doesn’t require complex mechanical parts (lockers, disconnecting sway bars, etc) for off-road traction and articulation.

The low speed torque is an advantage, but 4x4 low range makes that moot probably.

i suspect the hybrid jeeps aren’t any better off road than their conventional counterparts, and may be at a mild disadvantage because of the extra weight.

if we could look into thefuture, I think that in a few years the whole field will be electric. Once batteries become cheaper, the electric vehicles will be much simpler, more reliable, and easier to drive offroad.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don’t think we can generalize much about electrification from the leaderboard.

That was my first thought as well, but upon reflection the Rivian’s advantage is primarily the four motors, and the fact that it doesn’t require complex mechanical parts (lockers, disconnecting sway bars, etc) for off-road traction and articulation.
4 motors with an electric controller >>>>>>>>>>engine + transmission + transfer case + driveshaft + differential

This is why I would love for a Dana + HET collab where you could buy a "crate" Dana axle with integrated motors for each wheel to be linked together with a single controller. It would make electro-modding an older offroader like my XJ so much easier. I don't need (or want!) 850 hp and 900 lb/ft, even 50-75 hp per wheel would be more than adequate.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My understanding is only carmakers (Jeep, Kia, Rivian) could enter the rally with electric vehicles. I suspect the carmakers only sponsored established and experienced teams, which could skew the results.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My understanding is only carmakers (Jeep, Kia, Rivian) could enter the rally with electric vehicles. I suspect the carmakers only sponsored established and experienced teams, which could skew the results.
I agree I think Team 140 results are more a testament to Rebecca and Emme's skill and the vehicles job is to just not hold them back. IMO the duo could probably do better if they were in a well suited ICE, as I recall one of them mentioned strategizing which points to get with their range implying they would attempt more if not range bound. This is not intended as a knock on Rivian at all, in fact just the opposite. The fact that a basically stock R1T which was not purpose designed for adventure endurance navigation competition can compete is a testament to its versatility.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Any idea what's going on with team Killer Watt today? I'm not seeing any points recorded for them so far on day 5. Are totals just not updating or are they stuck at base camp? Or did they just start that much later than everyone else?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I agree I think Team 140 results are more a testament to Rebecca and Emme's skill and the vehicles job is to just not hold them back. IMO the duo could probably do better if they were in a well suited ICE, as I recall one of them mentioned strategizing which points to get with their range implying they would attempt more if not range bound. This is not intended as a knock on Rivian at all, in fact just the opposite. The fact that a basically stock R1T which was not purpose designed for adventure endurance navigation competition can compete is a testament to its versatility.
I'm curious if they're having to do that this year. Last year they had a large pack without full pack access. This year Emme has said they would have a truck with the full max pack.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Any idea what's going on with team Killer Watt today? I'm not seeing any points recorded for them so far on day 5. Are totals just not updating or are they stuck at base camp? Or did they just start that much later than everyone else?
Not sure how the intermediate numbers get posted, they seem to be lagging all week on when things are posted for their team. Looks like they are on the course near check point 4

Rivian R1T R1S Rebelle Rally starts up for Rivian R1T piloted by Emme and Rebecca! 1634145543239

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, seems the points were just lagging way behind their progress (points for multiple checkpoints now recorded). Whew! I was a little concerned there for a bit.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Looks like they are currently tied for 3rd place with 861 points. which is not too far off second place, the leader has a bit of lead but I don't think insurmountable.
I hope they continue to do well they are great brand ambassadors.
I loved Emme's bio stating "I can make 30 minute brownies in 20 minutes"

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Killer Watt was on #2 and just fall back to #3

#1 is too far away and 2-4 are pretty close so positions can change by end of the day. But it's great to see that it's possible to reach one of the top 3 positions with R1T without any modification! Actually all top 3 teams right now are using unmodified cars with some sort of electrification.

Rivian R1T R1S Rebelle Rally starts up for Rivian R1T piloted by Emme and Rebecca! 1634237994912