Sponsored

Rear window squeak

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Curious what other peoples' findings are on this. My truck seems pretty quiet/well structured (apart from some very minor suspension noise that I'm not too bothered by) but I get this brain grinding squeak from the rear window sometimes that I intend to try to get Service to address but I wanted to get some perspective here to see if anyone else has had the same thing.

So far I noticed:
- Primarily makes noise in warmer weather or when the car has been sitting outside. In the cold it basically disappears (which is the opposite experience I've had with every similar squeak in other cars). I could drive an entire short trip without hearing it once.
- Distinctly coming from rear window area
- Especially exaggerated on large slow bumps or twisting loads (backing out of a curbed driveway at an angle, etc)
- Does not appear affected by ride height.

My suspect is the plastic cover behind the rear seats - mine does show some of the warping that I've seen elsewhere, and I swear I can sort of reproduce the noise by pressing on certain areas leading me to believe maybe that expands/flexes just a touch in heat and rubs against something. The actual window does not appear to be loose or leak. I tried riding in the back of the car with someone else driving holding and pressing the window and this plastic piece, and the plastic seemed to have the greatest effect.

Since the warping plastic appears to be a somewhat common occurrence I wanted to ask - have you had these squeaks? Did you get them addressed by service, is that what it ended up being?
Sponsored

sstigler

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Attorney
Mine is doing the same. It is actually coming from the sunroof. The guys at the service center are being nice, tried a bunch of clips, felt tape etc. It is that the sunroof is not affixed properly so the only way to fix it is take it out and reinstall.