Sponsored

Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Oh geesh - I didn't intend for us to go down a path of measuring each other for how we transport our dogs.
I thought we were measuring each other by how big our dogs are.:)
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Oh geesh - I didn't intend for us to go down a path of measuring each other for how we transport our dogs.

I just wish that Rivian would have designed the R1T rear seats to allow for a lot more cargo space by exposing a flat floor in the rear cab. The Rivian staff I spoke to in April 2019 at the NY auto show said that they had received lots of requests for this option for the purpose of having dogs in the space or carrying bikes or other large sporting gear (SCUBA tanks, etc.). I just wish they had chosen this option, and I would love advice on how we can get them to modify the design in future models.
I doubt my dogs will be happy in this small space...

Rivian R1T R1S Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future? 20200811_074603

Rivian R1T R1S Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future? 20200811_074541

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Yea I think this is a big mistake for Rivian to do their seats like this.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Unfortunately that was designed with gear in mind, not dogs. But perhaps they will remedy this in the production model. However, it wouldn't take much to build a custom removable platform that sits on top of the seat box when the cushion is folded up. Not ideal but we may have to get creative depending on what they offer. Can't quite tell from pictures but this custom "pet platform" might even fit within the gear tunnel when not in use.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Unfortunately that was designed with gear in mind, not dogs. But perhaps they will remedy this in the production model. However, it wouldn't take much to build a custom removable platform that sits on top of the seat box when the cushion is folded up. Not ideal but we may have to get creative depending on what they offer. Can't quite tell from pictures but this custom "pet platform" might even fit within the gear tunnel when not in use.
I had the exact same thought, but didn't post because the seat bottom doesn't appear to lock in place & could close/fall on animals or gear on the platform. Maybe the platform could incorporate a mechanism to lock the seat up?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
It will definitely be interesting to see what they show in the production model. Regardless im going with the R1s. I dont really need a pick up or a 3rd row seat , but prefer the look of the R1T slightly over the SUV.

KickRocksRiv

First Name
Westly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Don’t worry about it sweetheart
A platform would be a great compromise and also create a place to put a small foam mattress if you need to crash in the truck overnight on a trip. It would def be a tight fit for a 6’3” person like myself , but it works in a pinch! I’ve had many nights in the back on my f150 !

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Another thing to consider is that there will be a "platform" in the 180 kW, because the battery will be there. Don't know if the seats will fold up in that one though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
I doubt my dogs will be happy in this small space...

20200811_074603.jpg

20200811_074541.jpg
These photos are great, Manuel, and show that the hinges on the seats changed (did you take the photo of the blue truck earlier than the other photo?). If those hinges are designed to detach so that the seat bottom can be removed (and maybe stowed in the gear tunnel?), at least that might allow a bike to be transported inside the truck. Still no joy for really large mutts.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
More hassle than just flipping up the seat but other potential work arounds might include options such as these (there are other products on the market, just offering a few examples):

Back Seat Pet Bridge
Rivian R1T R1S Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future? 81xA2X0yZhL._AC_SL1500_

Seat Extender
Rivian R1T R1S Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future? 81xA2X0yZhL._AC_SL1500_

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
These photos are great, Manuel, and show that the hinges on the seats changed (did you take the photo of the blue truck earlier than the other photo?). If those hinges are designed to detach so that the seat bottom can be removed (and maybe stowed in the gear tunnel?), at least that might allow a bike to be transported inside the truck. Still no joy for really large mutts.
I got them from one of the Facebook groups. There were tons of pics, so it was just a matter of scrolling. Looks like they are from the events on 2019. Sadly I'm in FL, so the events never reached here and now everything is postponed.

OP
OP

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
Another thing to consider is that there will be a "platform" in the 180 kW, because the battery will be there. Don't know if the seats will fold up in that one though.
Do you have any photos/sketches of what that platform would look like? I'm planning to order the longest-capacity battery and didn't realize that it would affect the rear cabin space. (Am admitting my naivete about this - am a new member of the forum and slowly uncovering lots of details that I probably should have known by now. Thanks for your patience.)

OP
OP

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
If the rear seat bottoms can be detached the platform is a good solution (although not sure how it could fit in the gear tunnel unless it folded). Sign me up if you design one!
Sponsored