Sponsored

Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The 5 seat and 7 seat versions of the R1S represent a significant tradeoff: a third row of vegan upholstered and stitched seating with seat belts and perhaps side air bags probably represents about $2K +/- of costs. If you can get two more battery modules and a completely flat floor for giving up third row seating, I'd be okay with that.

The question is: how much of a price reduction or compensatory tradeoff comes with a 5 seat R1S?
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Lorilee,

Welcome to the Forums! Great to have another Oregonian join in the fun. Gold Beach would be a great place to live with the R1T in the garage, waiting for Sunrise every day. I like the way you think about allowing a flat surface for sleeping in the backseat. My biggest concern is that the overall exterior width of the truck, with the mirrors folded in, is already a scant 72 inches. That would leave very little room from side to side for laying down, unless one is a side sleeper and doesn't mind curling up (or is rather short).

Honestly, I can't remember if Gold Beach is slated to be graced with a Rivian Adventure Network station or not, but it would be a wonderful place for the next round of stations to land to allow our beautiful Southern coastline to be opened up for Adventurers. I'd love to be the first EV truck to visit Agness and the Kalmiopsis Widerness Area. I have very special memories of both.

I hope to meet you one day, perhaps in a get-together of Rivian-lovers from the region and beyond.

Again, welcome aboard!

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
This is 100%, my biggest disappointment with the truck. I would prefer the R1T a million times over the R1S, except I'm pretty sure the dogs aren't going to fit in the backseat.

I had really hoped the seats would flip up to a flat floor, like the Tacoma. The tacomas have a nice feature of the seat flipping forward, and then the second option of the back of the seat then folding flat forward creating a very large platform space. Something like that was my hope.

Really disappointed.

I agree with you, they didn't need extra storage under the seats with all the other places you can store things in this truck...frunk, gear tunnel, etc.
Agreed here also. I’ve previously expressed concern about getting the dog’s crate into the rear seat area.

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
Lorilee,

Welcome to the Forums! Great to have another Oregonian join in the fun. Gold Beach would be a great place to live with the R1T in the garage, waiting for Sunrise every day. I like the way you think about allowing a flat surface for sleeping in the backseat. My biggest concern is that the overall exterior width of the truck, with the mirrors folded in, is already a scant 72 inches. That would leave very little room from side to side for laying down, unless one is a side sleeper and doesn't mind curling up (or is rather short).

Honestly, I can't remember if Gold Beach is slated to be graced with a Rivian Adventure Network station or not, but it would be a wonderful place for the next round of stations to land to allow our beautiful Southern coastline to be opened up for Adventurers. I'd love to be the first EV truck to visit Agness and the Kalmiopsis Widerness Area. I have very special memories of both.

I hope to meet you one day, perhaps in a get-together of Rivian-lovers from the region and beyond.

Again, welcome aboard!
The exterior width of the R1T with mirrors folded is 81.8 inches.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Whoops! Shouldn't try to rely on my memory so much these days. Turning 64 today. Now, what was I saying? Oh.....Never mind......

Thanks for the correction. Lorilee is now free to be almost 10 inches taller! ?

p.s. Would really love to get a call from my Guide today. Please wrap vehicle in matching Launch Green ribbon and bow. Thanks!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Whoops! Shouldn't try to rely on my memory so much these days. Turning 64 today. Now, what was I saying? Oh.....Never mind......

p.s. Would really love to get a call from my Guide today. Please wrap vehicle in matching Launch Green ribbon and bow. Thanks!
Happy Birthday! Always glad to see people older than me. Gives me hope!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

Happy b-day, I have you beat, turn 65 this Sunday.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Happy b-day, I have you beat, turn 65 this Sunday.
Medicare and a long weekend for your 65th. Nice!

That said, Memorial Day is always melancholy for me with thoughts of those who served, many of whom lost their lives, as well as all others no longer with us. It always serves as a reminder to enjoy every day and make the most of it.

Wishing you a Happy Birthday! Being Gemini's, I hope the four of us meet one day! ??

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Happy belated birthday DuckTruck!

dingo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1250RT
Occupation
Tech
It's impossible for Rivian to please everyone and satisfy every request. But in case there is any doubt in Rivian's corporate mind about the importance of a flat-load rear seat area...

It's a feature that'll push me to an F150 Lightning instead of my R1T reservation. My past F150s have features a flat floor, and it has been incredibly useful.

Let's hope this becomes an option at some point for those who want it.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Lack of a rear seat platform is my biggest beef with the current design as well. I just found a rear seat delete solution called Goose Gear for the Toyota Tundra Crewmax, which will be my bridge truck leading to the Rivian R1T. When Rivian finds a way to expand the range to at least 750 miles, I'll give up my lunar rock.

If Rivian designers are as intelligent as I think they are, they will partner with Goose Gear to develop a rear platform solution like this one for people who need a platform to sleep on or a safe location for pets more than they need a seat for a third or fourth person.

https://www.goose-gear.com/products/toyota-tundra-2nd-gen-rear-seat-delete

Goose rear seat delete for Toyota Tundra Crewmax.jpg
Carbon-silicon batteries have shown a capacity four times as much as lithium-ion, and has been under research for about five years, but seems to always remain about five years away. 1000 mile range would be rather nice, but that tech remains a reach. I have to think being able to fold the rear seats down flat in the truck is somewhere in their plans as it'd add a lot of utility.
Sponsored