Rear ended by a bus on my way to work

OP
OP

slpymnky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (to be delivered)
You had that bike rack on your hitch when it hit you? If that's the case it is most likely totalled. The force of the impact was transferred to your frame. It doesn't look like much damage. but I bet your frame is twisted to shit.
no it was on the bus the whole time. You still think the frame is messed up?

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Sorry to hear this happened to you, but glad you’re relatively ok.

Honestly, your liftgate looks pretty well aligned even now, compared to some I’ve seen from the factory. ;)

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Did anyone else notice the bumper sticker on the bus? 😡

Rivian R1T R1S Rear ended by a bus on my way to work Screenshot_20231207-215018

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

No surprise here boys... It's a Ford. Looks like it lost all its coolant too.

I would make sure your insurance makes you whole for the protein shake through subrogation 😂

Seriously glad your ok. Agree once a test down occurs it might be worse.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Oh wow. I mean it’s related to the bikes if loaded but still.
Yeah it's like they knew they were going to rear end something.

Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
1: Glad you're OK
2: the bike rack saved the R1S from getting way more messed up if you want to thank someone thank the rack.
3: your vehicle has a high likliehood of being totalled due to the 3 areas that got hit and not to mention the tow hitch is probably connected to the frame so it's prob bent.

agsogg

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Retired
I was in the carpool lane and traffic came to a stop. A second or two later, the bus behind me rear ended me pretty good. Protein shake went flying everywhere. I was pretty shaken up.

Once we got to the side of the road and I saw the damage of my car vs the bus, I was very impressed with the Rivian. The bus had to be towed away and my car does have a good bit of damage but is drive able.

From what I can see, left quarter panel, bumper and tailgate are damaged. What’re the guesses on repair cost? Will it get totaled?

Bummed my first brand new car ever was damaged but I’m glad I’m okay. I’m sold on the Rivian safety.

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg
My guess is that it will cost more to repair the Rivian than it will the bus. I had similar damage and the bill was $24,000+.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
1: Glad you're OK
2: the bike rack saved the R1S from getting way more messed up if you want to thank someone thank the rack.
3: your vehicle has a high likliehood of being totalled due to the 3 areas that got hit and not to mention the tow hitch is probably connected to the frame so it's prob bent.
You seemed to have missed the post that the bike rack was on the front of the bus not on the R1S hitch.

The hitch mounted bike racks are also pretty thin, a buddy had one on his Tahoe when it was rear ended and the rack post bent but the receiver hitch was intact.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
You seemed to have missed the post that the bike rack was on the front of the bus not on the R1S hitch.

The hitch mounted bike racks are also pretty thin, a buddy had one on his Tahoe when it was rear ended and the rack post bent but the receiver hitch was intact.
Yeah I did not read all the posts

OP
OP

slpymnky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (to be delivered)
watched the cam footage and the bus didn’t even seem to be slowing down on impact. He must’ve been going 40-50mph.

I dropped the car off at the shop and she said repairs would take months unless it’s totaled. She also said the quarter panel appears to be repairable. Let’s see how the car looks when they take it apart next week.
Sponsored