Sponsored

Rear ended by a bus on my way to work

slpymnky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (to be delivered)
I was in the carpool lane and traffic came to a stop. A second or two later, the bus behind me rear ended me pretty good. Protein shake went flying everywhere. I was pretty shaken up.

Once we got to the side of the road and I saw the damage of my car vs the bus, I was very impressed with the Rivian. The bus had to be towed away and my car does have a good bit of damage but is drive able.

From what I can see, left quarter panel, bumper and tailgate are damaged. What’re the guesses on repair cost? Will it get totaled?

Bummed my first brand new car ever was damaged but I’m glad I’m okay. I’m sold on the Rivian safety.

Rivian R1T R1S Rear ended by a bus on my way to work IMG_4871

Rivian R1T R1S Rear ended by a bus on my way to work IMG_4883

Rivian R1T R1S Rear ended by a bus on my way to work IMG_4875
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
When I saw the title I definitely expected to see worse damage, but it's still not good. Glad you are ok though - that is the important part.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Glad you're okay. The R1S did what it was supposed to do, protect you and any passengers first and foremost.

Frustrating for sure but it could have been much, much worse. Always hard to tell in these kinds of pics what's happening with the structure around the pack, which invariably absorbed some of the hit. Body panels are easy, if the pack frame is bent that could be the ballgame.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Eh...the shuttle got towed away because that front-mounted bike rack turned into a damage multiplier. As for your R1...will depend whether or not there's any frame damage.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, Rivian R1T
Bus-ted! :confused: That appears to be the front end of an F350 Super Duty, so even more impressed by what appears to be somewhat minor damage to the Riv (my guess, $20-25k worth of damage) That's little for a Rivian, right?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Glad you're okay!

I'm no crash analyst expert, but that front-mounted bike rack punching through all that plastic and soft radiator probably slowed him down and saved things like your back window.

Let's see the cam footage! 😉

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
My Honda got rear-ended a while ago. Same situation, I was slammed pretty good and shaken up, didn't look like much damage. The other car was in bad shape. The inspector at the collision shop thought it would only be a few thousand in repairs but once he tore things apart, it was totaled.

The Rivian did what it was suppose to do and protected you. At the end of the day that's what counts. Nobody here knows what vehicle damage will result until it's looked at closely. Also get to a doctor so it's documented and get checked out. Hopefully your insurance will take care of everything.

Too bad this shit happens on freeways.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
that's a Ford. I thought they were supposed to be "Build Tough"

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I'm guessing that's on the 101? Daily occurrence given the standard of driving in this area.

Glad you are ok. Their insurance should take of you (I hope)

OP
OP

slpymnky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (to be delivered)
Yeah it was on the 101. Insurance claim is filed with my insurance and they’re waiting for the other party’s insurance to accept responsibility. Figured I’d get the repair process started.

My insurance quoted 8.5k based on the pics and video they had me submit. Guessing it’ll be quite a bit more once in the shop.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Insert "short bus" joke about bus driver? Must've been following too close or not paying attention. Both of which would disqualify him from his job.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You had that bike rack on your hitch when it hit you? If that's the case it is most likely totalled. The force of the impact was transferred to your frame. It doesn't look like much damage. but I bet your frame is twisted to shit.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
I was in the carpool lane and traffic came to a stop. A second or two later, the bus behind me rear ended me pretty good. Protein shake went flying everywhere. I was pretty shaken up.

Once we got to the side of the road and I saw the damage of my car vs the bus, I was very impressed with the Rivian. The bus had to be towed away and my car does have a good bit of damage but is drive able.

From what I can see, left quarter panel, bumper and tailgate are damaged. What’re the guesses on repair cost? Will it get totaled?

Bummed my first brand new car ever was damaged but I’m glad I’m okay. I’m sold on the Rivian safety.

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg
🥺
Sponsored