First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
Has anyone done this or plan to put on on their R1T?
I’m just read the thread about the brake lights size and how he was rear ended so I thought I would ask. I have always but the brake light bar on my trucks because I felt it gave a little more visibility to someone driving behind me.

What are your thoughts and if so which type?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is no void space between the tailgate and bumper.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Do what exactly?

OP
OP
Animalhouse

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
My question was if people were going to install a brake light bar (normally between the bottom of the tail gate and the rear bumper).
As Dark-FX noted there is no space on the R1T (I didn’t know because I have not seen many in the wild here in Alabama).
That being said you know someone somewhere is going to try it any way.

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I wonder if it is possible to have a software update to have two brightness levels on the rear light bar. One for normal running, and brighter when brakes pressed. This is especially important when something is in the back that obscures the light on the cab (Tent, bikes, etc.)

Jakeblanton

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
I remember that being an issue on Out of Spec Reviews... They said if the tent is on the back, it is almost impossible to see that high mounted light. So I hope that is a software patch that can be added later. I did think it was odd that they had a Red LED light bar that does not operate as a brake light.

StoneDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No truck, at least in the US, can use lights on the tailgate as brake lights. This is actually a safety regulation since the tailgate is moveable and the truck can be operated with the tailgate down. They don't want auto manufactures to rely on brake lights that may or may not always be visible while operating the vehicle. Im not arguing that this is the right or wrong approach, but this is the reason why the lights on the tailgate dont function as brake lights.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I believe the current US highway safety code (or what ever gov area) states that a brake light is NOT allowed on any moving part, being a tailgate that can but down during movement means that when it's up it's not allowed to used as a "brake light"

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I wonder if it is possible to have a software update to have two brightness levels on the rear light bar. One for normal running, and brighter when brakes pressed. This is especially important when something is in the back that obscures the light on the cab (Tent, bikes, etc.)
easier to reverse it and that way it isn't a "brake light" and gets around the rules.

during normal operations leave it as is, then when the brake level is triggered, dim the light bar, this way the contrast between the light bar and the brake lights will be greater.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I just scanned the relevant Federal standards (yeah, about as much fun as it sounds), and I can't find anything about prohibiting a light on a movable part. I suspect that as long as there are 3 fixed lights there wouldn't be an issue with an additional light on the tailgate. As an example, you can buy auxiliary brake lights that go in the trailer hitch, and these could be removed at any time. Of course, it could be there's a standard/law I didn't find. Each state does have its own regulations.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Jeep gladiator. Someone said it’s an exemption because the top is removable and that makes sense. But why couldn't it be added to R1T?
Rivian R1T R1S Rear brake light bar? 048D801A-5047-4C99-9DD4-C3061628A3F9

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I just scanned the relevant Federal standards (yeah, about as much fun as it sounds), and I can't find anything about prohibiting a light on a movable part. I suspect that as long as there are 3 fixed lights there wouldn't be an issue with an additional light on the tailgate. As an example, you can buy auxiliary brake lights that go in the trailer hitch, and these could be removed at any time. Of course, it could be there's a standard/law I didn't find. Each state does have its own regulations.
this is also my read of the regulations. as long as the r1t has the high mount centerline and the 2 rear, there shouldn't be any issue.

Jakeblanton

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
I don't totally understand that as I have more than once seen a car drive around with the trunk lid open and stuff hanging out the back... I am not to sure about the Rivian, but with that gooseneck hinge, is it considered removable? Not trying to split hairs, but I do think some more could be done. Just my armchair opinion.
Sponsored