Sponsored

RealWheelsEV

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R1S, Hummer EV
@iforbes or @RealWheelsEV or anyone else, if you have any more install pics or instructions or hints please post. It looks like my horn is on the drivers side. I'm interested in learning from others experiences about frunk tub removal, battery connections, where to run wires, etc. Please share any photos or details that might help, and I'll be sure to share my experiences with install as well. thanks!
I just sent you some info, but iforbes may have a couple tips from his recent install. Feel free to give me a call and I can walk you through it as well. Thanks!
Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I just sent you some info, but iforbes may have a couple tips from his recent install. Feel free to give me a call and I can walk you through it as well. Thanks!
Thanks @RealWheelsEV - the photos and detailed instructions you sent are just what I was looking for. I'll post feedback and lots of photos when I get mine installed, hopefully this weekend.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
@iforbes or @RealWheelsEV or anyone else, if you have any more install pics or instructions or hints please post. It looks like my horn is on the drivers side. I'm interested in learning from others experiences about frunk tub removal, battery connections, where to run wires, etc. Please share any photos or details that might help, and I'll be sure to share my experiences with install as well. thanks!
A bunch of folks have asked for more info but doesn't look like we've gotten any in this thread.

edit: I don't quite understand the reluctance to share instructions with the rest of the forum, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

It’s really pretty straight forward. I did not take that many pictures, really only places where I saw a potential issue. The bracket that holds the horn really only goes one way. The horn swivels so you kind of have to swivel it in while longing up the bracket then you tighten a bold to hold it steady.
the drivers side connection for the LED was tight a mind a little tricky to manipulate while holding the frunk up. I think RealWheels made a little tool to help.
the wiring harness runs up over the drivers side wheel. The instructions had it going behind a grey wiring block but I had to run it in front. The red cover for the battery has three clips. Besides that it’s really making sure you keep your wires free.

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That looks like it uses a Deutsch Y connector from the original horn to activate the horn, but draws current directly from the battery with a separate, fused wire. Is that assumption correct?
And you can clearly see the relay bolted to the bracket adjacent to the horn, so yes, the feed from the factory horn is the trigger signal for the relay.

Also, as I’ve done the DIY horn replacement, my factory horn on my August ‘23 built R1S is on the driver side.

I may be interested in buying the bracket by itself if that is made available. @RealWheelsEV would the bracket be available separately?

Last edited:

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
The tone doesn't really fit with the truck. A normal high-low dual horn at like 410 HZ and 510 HZ give you a sound that fits the R1. In my opinion, air horns are always flakey over time. Because they rely on compressed air, they are subject to weird sounds in certain weather conditions (usually cold air causes this) as I've experienced myself using air horns over the years.
I went with the high-low tone horn combo to replace my passenger side horn last week. Took very little time and effort as there was a clear spot to bolt on the secondary 510hz horn and I had a great teacher in @SPITmadFIRE. Super happy with the big truck sound, but was naturally curious about the airhorn in this product to scare the living shit out of people. Is the airhorn issue you mention above based your experience with airhorns or is it a known issue in cold weather?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I went with the high-low tone horn combo to replace my passenger side horn last week. Took very little time and effort as there was a clear spot to bolt on the secondary 510hz horn and I had a great teacher in @SPITmadFIRE. Super happy with the big truck sound, but was naturally curious about the airhorn in this product to scare the living shit out of people. Is the airhorn issue you mention above based your experience with airhorns or is it a known issue in cold weather?
Air horns in general. Because they have a small compressor = moving parts. Materials expand and contract with temperature extremes. Tolerances and friction between moving parts can change with temperature. Not a big issue if not in extreme conditions.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I used to put air horns on all of my vehicles as a secondary horn. Every single one of them had issues in cold weather. I tried buying higher quality air horns, but they eventually had the same issue.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
My horn is on its way. Do you have instructions or a install video I can see?

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

thanks @RealWheelsEV, this horn is pretty great. The instructions provided by the seller were perfect - be sure to download the e-copy so you can zoom in on photos. I took a bunch of photos so if anyone has any questions please ask. I used a decibel meter app on my iphone - see snips in videos. The before is 121.0 and the after is 124.6. I have no idea how accurate an iphone decibel meter is, and I assume there is a lot more to how a horn sounds than decibels. In person this sounds like a night and day difference, and this is the type of sound this truck needs.

A couple of notes, comments, thoughts:
  • Plan to take your time - the process to remove and reinstall all the trim takes a while.
  • This is probably a slightly advanced installation - I wouldn't recommend this to a layperson, but to someone who is 4 pages in to this thread on a forum like this you're probably fine.
  • I really like how this kit keeps the existing horn and just splits the harness - cool idea.
  • The level of design in this bracket is amazing - perfect fit and really robust design, including a vibration pad on the side of the bracket where it rests against the metal of the truck.
  • When installed, the bell of the horn is secured just under the orange high voltage charging cables, between the wheel well and the charge port. The orange cables are touching the plastic bell of the horn. Hopefully the cables don't get too hot and nothing is damaged being wedged in this area.
  • My cable to the battery seemed a bit short, so I took some shortcuts when running it. See photos. I took a couple of short cuts with the cable run compared to what was shown in the installation photos.
  • When I reinstalled the black cable to the battery my truck started making a high pitched whine - this seemed to me like some sort of 12V battery alarm. I rebooted and the whine was still there. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 12V lead and the whine was still there. I rebooted again, and then backed my truck into the driveway, and I received a 12V error warning light. I then rebooted again, and drove the truck without issue and the whine sound seems to be gone. Hopefully the reboots helped and the truck has compensated - I sure hope this doesn't end up being some sort of 12V problem that I created.
  • Be sure to wear clothes without zippers and buckles during this install - lots of leaning against the truck.
  • Yes the inside of my truck is dirty - shouldn't yours be too?
  • Great horn and a great upgrade.

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0876

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0880.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0883.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0899.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0919.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0930.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0952.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0962.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0973.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0997.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_1008.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RealWheels EV Horn Upgrade Kit - Review & Sound Clips Videos IMG_0930.JPG

Last edited:

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

Thanks for the post and pics! Let us know if the 12V issue persists. I really like this solution as long as it doesn't create any problems.

OP
OP

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

thanks @RealWheelsEV, this horn is pretty great. The instructions provided by the seller were perfect - be sure to download the e-copy so you can zoom in on photos. I took a bunch of photos so if anyone has any questions please ask. I used a decibel meter app on my iphone - see snips in videos. The before is 121.0 and the after is 124.6. I have no idea how accurate an iphone decibel meter is, and I assume there is a lot more to how a horn sounds than decibels. In person this sounds like a night and day difference, and this is the type of sound this truck needs.

A couple of notes, comments, thoughts:
  • Plan to take your time - the process to remove and reinstall all the trim takes a while.
  • This is probably a slightly advanced installation - I wouldn't recommend this to a layperson, but to someone who is 4 pages in to this thread on a forum like this you're probably fine.
  • I really like how this kit keeps the existing horn and just splits the harness - cool idea.
  • The level of design in this bracket is amazing - perfect fit and really robust design, including a vibration pad on the side of the bracket where it rests against the metal of the truck.
  • When installed, the bell of the horn is secured just under the orange high voltage charging cables, between the wheel well and the charge port. The orange cables are touching the plastic bell of the horn. Hopefully the cables don't get too hot and nothing is damaged being wedged in this area.
  • My cable to the battery seemed a bit short, so I took some shortcuts when running it. See photos. I took a couple of short cuts with the cable run compared to what was shown in the installation photos.
  • When I reinstalled the black cable to the battery my truck started making a high pitched whine - this seemed to me like some sort of 12V battery alarm. I rebooted and the whine was still there. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 12V lead and the whine was still there. I rebooted again, and then backed my truck into the driveway, and I received a 12V error warning light. I then rebooted again, and drove the truck without issue and the whine sound seems to be gone. Hopefully the reboots helped and the truck has compensated - I sure hope this doesn't end up being some sort of 12V problem that I created.
  • Be sure to wear clothes without zippers and buckles during this install - lots of leaning against the truck.
  • Yes the inside of my truck is dirty - shouldn't yours be too?
  • Great horn and a great upgrade.

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG
Great photos! I wish I had been this aware when I installed mine. It’s nice to hear that someone else thinks as highly of this product as I. It’s affirming. I’d also be interested to see if someone with a real decibel meter could measure the difference. If that is only a 3 db difference I’d give you my left toe.
I did not have the whine or 12v errors, so I’m wondering what that’s about. Can’t wait to hear from others.
Also LOVE that they include the trim remover/electrical clip remover tool for free!

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
If that is only a 3 db difference I’d give you my left toe.
A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness, so it might be right. Decibels of sound are not linear as one would think.
Sponsored