Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
When Edmunds did their testing, Rivian gave them an R1T with 21" wheels with the off-road package. They hit 317 miles on their real-world range test, so I am guessing that the EPA numbers also reflect the same vehicle configuration with results that close.

Edmunds Rivian R1T Review

I wonder if Conserve mode in that setup could hit 350

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I wonder if Conserve mode in that setup could hit 350
The article states they were running in Conserve mode.

Reactions: Max

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I am wondering what real world mileage will be in <30 degree weather. Sure I can look online for examples, but depending on the car, company etc. it's all different from 15-40% less. Considering I want the all terrain tires I am already looking at 10-15% less range

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I am wondering what real world mileage will be in -30 degree weather. Sure I can look online for examples, but depending on the car, company etc. it's all different from 15-40% less. Considering I want the all terrain tires I am already looking at 10-15% less range
FTFY.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This is from September. I am not sure it was posted here before. I didn’t expect Rivian City efficiency to be that much worse from efficient EVs in the pack with regen and all. I wonder how much accelerating slowly will help.

Rivian R1T R1S Real World Range Numbers – From R1T Owners 1642454052415

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is from September. I am not sure it was posted here before. I didn’t expect Rivian City efficiency to be that much worse from efficient EVs in the pack with regen and all. I wonder how much accelerating slowly will help.

1642454052415.png
Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm geniunely curious about this since it doesn't surprise me at all. Why wouldn't you expect the rated EPA efficiency to be significantly lower than the other EVs listed here? It's a much larger vehicle than everything else on the list.

Pbmsmith

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX 5, Prius
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Pretty decent first impressions!

I'm really curious to see what below freezing temperature does to range as Rivian has chosen not to add a heat pump or proper cold weather preconditioning.

Hopefully we can get some more specific range tests, the only accurate ones being from 100% to 5% at a relatively steady speed, no major altitude changes, and temperatures listed. Lots of people improperly math out range.

Photos of the trip computer showing efficiency and mileage is ideal. Unfortunately it's like 0-60 times and people often exaggerate.
Are these ranges with the max pack or not?

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm geniunely curious about this since it doesn't surprise me at all. Why wouldn't you expect the rated EPA efficiency to be significantly lower than the other EVs listed here? It's a much larger vehicle than everything else on the list.
If you are genuinely curious, let me repeat what I said: “ I didn’t expect Rivian City efficiency to be that much worse from efficient EVs in the pack”.

English is my second language but my understanding is that what I said does NOT mean “rated EPA efficiency to be significantly lower than the other EVs listed here”. It does however mean that I did expect the city efficiency to be worse but not as bad as highway difference. The reason I expect the gap to be smaller in city than in highway is that in highway loss is mostly due to aerodynamic and less so due to rolling resistance. None of which can be recovered. In City there is a lot of stop and go. M3 spend less energy accelerating and get back less decelerating. R1T spend more energy accelerating due to weight but recovers more decelerating. So if R1T spend twice as much energy on highway, I expected to spend may be 1/3 more in the city. This chart shows it is almost as bad in city. If it is accurate, it means either Regen losses are much more significant than I thought or there is something else about the physics or mechanics of what is going on that I am missing. I am genuinely interested to know what that is.

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
I'm curios to se

i was just reading an article where they said Kia and Hyundai so the same thing as rivian and this is what rivian said about not having a heat pump

"The R1 vehicles are designed with active battery heating achieved through power electronics in the system, essentially mimicking the behavior of a heat pump," explained a Rivian spokesperson. "This allows for battery temperatures to be maintained to provide appropriate energy output from the battery pack for optimizing range and cabin conditioning. This system supports the R1 vehicles' overall performance in cold weather."
I just watched a video on the Hyundai Ioniq charging, and the pre-heating of the battery.
It was pretty slow getting the battery heated.....so initially charging speed was not the 150 kW promised. Maybe the Hyundai approach needs improvement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If you are genuinely curious, let me repeat what I said: “ I didn’t expect Rivian City efficiency to be that much worse from efficient EVs in the pack”.

English is my second language but my understanding is that what I said does NOT mean “rated EPA efficiency to be significantly lower than the other EVs listed here”. It does however mean that I did expect the city efficiency to be worse but not as bad as highway difference. The reason I expect the gap to be smaller in city than in highway is that in highway loss is mostly due to aerodynamic and less so due to rolling resistance. None of which can be recovered. In City there is a lot of stop and go. M3 spend less energy accelerating and get back less decelerating. R1T spend more energy accelerating due to weight but recovers more decelerating. So if R1T spend twice as much energy on highway, I expected to spend may be 1/3 more in the city. This chart shows it is almost as bad in city. If it is accurate, it means either Regen losses are much more significant than I thought or there is something else about the physics of mechanics of what is going on that I am missing. I am genuinely interested to know what that is.
Ah. Yeah, my understanding is that regen is say... 2/3 efficient. City driving is energy usage is going to be driven by inertia (accel/deccel). With the Rivian being significantly larger in weight, the energy to speed up will be higher, and then more is also lost in regen. Plus bigger tires. And four motors.

I think having the independent motors reduces efficiency more than people think. Given that the F150 is (apparently) lighter than the Rivian, but apparently gets about the same rated range with roughly the same battery size, I'm really curious to see if the F150 has much better city efficiency and much worse highway range. Particularly when cruising at speed with the RIvian in conserve mode..

edit: I also didn't see you say the "city" efficiency originally. Which is a big part of the reason I was confused.

Reactions: Max