First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think I've seen this discussed here, but someone asked what people are getting, and at least a couple of owners responded. If these numbers generally hold up, I'd say that's absolutely excellent given the EPA ratings. I had recently been wondering how one of the owners has been making a mid-range trip that he does without white knuckling it this time of year, and this may explain it. this also broady agrees with what I've seen from most owner screen photos or videos.. Summarizing below:

I get 270 miles in all purpose mode and 293 in conserve mode on a full charge.
That’s going 70-75 on the freeway 45-55F weather.
On ATs over a 800 mile round trip
With 20" all-terrains and in the mild winter climate of AZ:
Conserve mode: 290 miles
All Purpose mode: 270 miles
This is driving at 75-80mph on highways and making liberal use of all the power on standing starts...
I usually charge to 85% on longer road trips. Conserve mode gets me about 270 miles which I find pretty accurate.
During the week, I drive in sport mode, charge to 70% and I get about 200 miles. I do drive it pretty aggressively, so that range is maybe more like 175.
I have 22 inch sport brights.
Rivian R1T R1S Real World Range Numbers – From R1T Owners Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.25.51 PM
Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Pretty decent first impressions!

I'm really curious to see what below freezing temperature does to range as Rivian has chosen not to add a heat pump or proper cold weather preconditioning.

Hopefully we can get some more specific range tests, the only accurate ones being from 100% to 5% at a relatively steady speed, no major altitude changes, and temperatures listed. Lots of people improperly math out range.

Photos of the trip computer showing efficiency and mileage is ideal. Unfortunately it's like 0-60 times and people often exaggerate.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty decent first impressions!

I'm really curious to see what below freezing temperature does to range as Rivian has chosen not to add a heat pump or proper cold weather preconditioning.
Same. I really hope they enable on command both cabin and battery Preconditioning when cold. I'm more worried about impacts of not heating the battery up than heating the cabin.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Same. I really hope they enable on command both cabin and battery Preconditioning when cold. I'm more worried about impacts of not heating the battery up than heating the cabin.
Are there any EVs without heat pumps that preheat the battery? I'm actually not sure on this one.

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I'm curios to se
Are there any EVs without heat pumps that preheat the battery? I'm actually not sure on this one.
i was just reading an article where they said Kia and Hyundai so the same thing as rivian and this is what rivian said about not having a heat pump

"The R1 vehicles are designed with active battery heating achieved through power electronics in the system, essentially mimicking the behavior of a heat pump," explained a Rivian spokesperson. "This allows for battery temperatures to be maintained to provide appropriate energy output from the battery pack for optimizing range and cabin conditioning. This system supports the R1 vehicles' overall performance in cold weather."

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Even without what was mentioned above, there's nothing keeping a manufacturer from heating the battery with a resistive heater. The ID4 does that when it's cold. VW just doesn't have any logic beyond "the batterY is really f'ing cold, let's warm it up to be less cold".

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Pretty sure all Tesla’s since the first generation Model S do this? I know mine preconditions for super charging and it doesn’t have a heat pump.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think the EPA R1T was tested without the offroad package. I'm guessing all of these reviews have it. Does the extra weight and tow hooks don't affect the R1T as much?

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I think the EPA R1T was tested without the offroad package. I'm guessing all of these reviews have it. Does the extra weight and tow hooks don't affect the R1T as much?
It’s possible they were mistaken, but I asked this to CS back when the range was released and they told me both the R1T and R1S were tested with the off road package.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's a very small weight change relative to the truck, and from an aero standpoint the tow hooks are probably the biggest impact.

Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

When Edmunds did their testing, Rivian gave them an R1T with 21" wheels with the off-road package. They hit 317 miles on their real-world range test, so I am guessing that the EPA numbers also reflect the same vehicle configuration with results that close.

Edmunds Rivian R1T Review

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
When Edmunds did their testing, Rivian gave them an R1T with 21" wheels with the off-road package. They hit 317 miles on their real-world range test, so I am guessing that the EPA numbers also reflect the same vehicle configuration with results that close.

Edmunds Rivian R1T Review
It wouldn't be the first time the CS reps got it wrong, but I just checked with them and said the EPA numbers were achieved without the offroad package

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

It wouldn't be the first time the CS reps got it wrong, but I just checked with them and said the EPA numbers were achieved without the offroad package
Interesting, so since the Edmunds test did have it, I guess the off-road package doesn't have much impact on range.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
google 'heat pump' and 'waiting for parts for six months' and be really glad they don't have heat pumps. The Model 3s/Ys that have heat pumps have been fixed repeatedly and are now 'waiting on software update' to maybe have them work. Until then, failed cars have no heat at all in or out of cabin.

They may be a future thing but right now I'm seeing no evidence that they are worth having it and there are more economical/reliable solutions out there already.

Model S/X have resistive heaters on the packs, the 3/Y pre-heat pump used the cooling system of the motors to do it, so if the motors are cold they had some inverter trick they'd do to cause waste heat but werent as good as the heater in the X/Y.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m very happy with those AT tire numbers in Conserve Mode. That is plenty acceptable. I’m hoping a Colorado brother or sister gives a good mixed mountain driving impression range number.
Sponsored