Sponsored

Real World R1S Height in standard and/or sport mode??

MSwarm21

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 BMW 328xi, 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Occupation
Fitness Instructor
tl;dr: For those who have seen/measured the R1S in person or have taken delivery, what is the height of the vehicle in standard and/or sport mode?

Tried to ask the Rivian chat folks, but they only provided a height in kneel mode, which doesn't do me much good since the vehicle cannot be driven in that particular mode. Only asking because I have about 74.5" of clearance in my garage and want to make sure it fits before I shave the roofline off when parking...
Sponsored

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
Here's my quick analysis:
On the Rivian height it shows "Max Height" for R1T as 78.2 in and R1S as 77.3 in. Then there is this reddit post which mentions the following:

Here’s what I got back from their support team. All these dimension are based on the R1T w/ 20" All Terrain wheels.

Overall Height (Kneel Mode):

1763mm or 69.5″ (without antenna)
1831mm or 72.1″ (with antenna)
1838mm or 72.4″ (with crossbars)

Overall Height (Sport Mode):

1787mm or 70.4″ (without antenna)
1856mm or 73.1″ (with antenna)
1863mm or 73.4″ (with crossbars)

Overall Height (Standard):

1852mm or 73″ (without antenna)
1921mm or 75.7″ (with antenna)
1928mm or 76″ (with crossbars)

Overall Height (Off-road Mode):

1918mm or 75.6″ (without antenna)
1987mm or 78.3″ (with antenna)
1994mm or 78.6″ (with crossbars)
I'd say your answer is about 72.3" with antenna, 72.6" with crossbars. You are just a bit too high at standard height at about 74.9" with antenna

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
I have asked the same question several times as I wish to fit under a 4 post car lift. My synopsis follows but waiting to confirm when I actually take delivery.

Wheel/tire height variance:
20" wheel - 33" tall
21" wheel - 32.9" tall
22" wheel - 32.83" tall

Kneel Mode is only when stationary and therefore not helpful for your situation nor mine.

Sport Mode:
70.4" without antenna fin (important for me as the antenna portion will not be under the 4 post lift but irrelevant for you)
73.1" with antenna
73.4" with crossbars

Standard Mode:
73" without antenna
75.5" with antenna
75.8" with crossbars

The above however has not been confirmed and therefore user beware:) Therefore it would appear to fit but be tight in Sport mode for you but a no in standard mode. Obviously also drive slowly so as to minimize any bounce on the threshold. Good luck and happy to confirm the above when I take delivery.

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
Correction: 20" wheel/tire height 34" tall - my hasty keyboarding skills:)

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
What do you all mean by kneel mode? You mean “lowest” in conserve? There’s no kneel mode in the R1T specifically…

Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
The various drive modes can be set at different hights or auto adjust between certain heights. For example, "sport" and "conserve" can go to "lowest" while only "off road" can go to "highest". Here is a table I constructed from a similar answer from customer service. Note (I believe the height listed for the R1S on the website is based on the 21-inch wheels with road tires. Going with the all-terrain would increase the height by about 0.6 inches.)

All this said. I have noticed some slight variation in height in my R1T even at the same settings. The suspension seems to adjust itself a bit. I don't think it is much more than a quarter inch but I haven't measured, just eyeballed clearance in my very low garage.

R1S
Ride HeightVariation from Standard (Inches)Height w/Antenna (Inches)
Max3.577.3
High1.675.4
Standard073.8
Low-1.472.4
Lowest-271.8

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Bringing this thread back to life here as I'm trying to make a little quick reference guide for myself (and my wife) on things like the roadside assistance number, the different ways to reset the car, etc to keep in the console. One of the parts is the ride height so I don't have to sweat going into a parking garage in the city. Based on the measurements in this thread (I'm trying to avoid spending a whole night measuring every height in the driveway) it looks like the cross bars add .3 to the antenna height and the 20 inch tires .6 to the overall height. I came up with this, does it seem correct to all here?

Rivian R1T R1S Real World R1S Height in standard and/or sport mode?? 1681160428252

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Also presumes an absolutely flat approach into/out of the garage. Even a slight slope may screw things up.

PiotrS

First Name
Piotr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
MSwarm21 how did the 74.5 in opening work out with your R1S? That’s exactly what I got and am getting nervous that parking will get tricky. Thanks.
tl;dr: For those who have seen/measured the R1S in person or have taken delivery, what is the height of the vehicle in standard and/or sport mode?

Tried to ask the Rivian chat folks, but they only provided a height in kneel mode, which doesn't do me much good since the vehicle cannot be driven in that particular mode. Only asking because I have about 74.5" of clearance in my garage and want to make sure it fits before I shave the roofline off when parking...

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Replying to this thread instead of https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-height.2543/

Just measured R1S on 20" AT tires in All-Purpose mode Standard ride height. The antenna looked to be right at 75" off the ground. I think Low ride height should fit under 74.5" no matter what and Lowest for sure.

A trick is that you could shift into park outside the garage, which will activate kneel mode (in the right circumstances), and then creep into the garage under 5 mph. It's a bad idea to rely on this though because if the car raises itself in the garage, you currently can't force it back into kneel mode to get back out. This is all academic though since kneel mode is barely lower than Lowest anyway.

Also presumes an absolutely flat approach into/out of the garage. Even a slight slope may screw things up.
A slight slope shouldn't be a big deal because the highest point is the antenna in the very back. The front is 2-3" lower if not more.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

What tires/wheels are you getting?

Just for reference, sport lowest is about a half inch lower than kneel mode so that is the mode that will get you the lowest height.

Edit: For reference I have 22s with 10k miles on the tires. In all purpose kneel mode the top of the shark fin is right at 73.25 inches, sport lowest would be just under 73 inches.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MSwarm21

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fitness Instructor
MSwarm21 how did the 74.5 in opening work out with your R1S? That’s exactly what I got and am getting nervous that parking will get tricky. Thanks.
still waiting to get the green light to configure…. 405 days and counting.

PiotrS

First Name
Piotr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
What tires/wheels are you getting?

Just for reference, sport lowest is about a half inch lower than kneel mode so that is the mode that will get you the lowest height.

Edit: For reference I have 22s with 10k miles on the tires. In all purpose kneel mode the top of the shark fin is right at 73.25 inches, sport lowest would be just under 73 inches.
Awesome. Then in sports most I should have about 2 in clearance. Do you happen to know what it is in all purpose standard more? Thanks so much.

PiotrS

First Name
Piotr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
still waiting to get the green light to configure…. 405 days and counting.
Ok. I should get mine within the next few weeks. I’ve been in the “final inspection” stage for 10 days now. I’ll let you know how it works out.

OP
OP

MSwarm21

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fitness Instructor
Ok. I should get mine within the next few weeks. I’ve been in the “final inspection” stage for 10 days now. I’ll let you know how it works out.
let me know! Just got the email that I’m ready to configure!
Sponsored