Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos R1S-3

I have always been a huge fan of the split tailgate. Love it on the Lexus LX, BMW X5 & X7, and Range Rovers. That being said this looks like a really awkward way of implementing it… do you see how the latches secure inside the trunk space itself instead of in the frame of the opening… I’ve circled in red.

any idea why they would do this instead of the tried and true formula used by Lexus, BMW and Land Rover?
Sponsored

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
I didn't realize there is a Rivian logo light that beams down from the doors to the ground. Is that a setting that is enabled/disabled? Honestly I've never been a fan of when manufacturers do that, it's cool once and then feels kinda tacky after.

At 2:10 and 4:40:

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
R1S-3.jpg

...do you see how the latches secure inside the trunk space itself instead of in the frame of the opening… I’ve circled in red.

any idea why they would do this instead of the tried and true formula used by Lexus, BMW and Land Rover?
Maybe something to do with their quest of making this car water tight up to 3 feet.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
R1S-3.jpg

I have always been a huge fan of the split tailgate. Love it on the Lexus LX, BMW X5 & X7, and Range Rovers. That being said this looks like a really awkward way of implementing it… do you see how the latches secure inside the trunk space itself instead of in the frame of the opening… I’ve circled in red.

I'm not sure I understand what difference you mean. The Range Rover system looks similar to the R1S to me.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1636388419628

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I haven't looked at this thread for probably only t
I'm not sure I understand what difference you mean. The Range Rover system looks similar to the R1S to me.

1636388419628.png
Great photo.
I'm wondering if it "seems" better being that the latches are "flush" with the sides of the compartment going forward vs the R1S still allows that space to be used rather than finishing it flush?
I can understand how that could make it feel different but I'd rather the use of more cubic in/ft the way the R1S is.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Wow. Yes, you are correct about Land Rover and BMW. I never noticed it on those. I guess I’m just too familiar with my LX. Toyota did a great job of the opening being free from any latches. They are tucked neatly to the sides.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos ACDEC93D-D74C-49C1-8DAA-ACF533131931

1636388419628.png

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Wow. Yes, you are correct about Land Rover and BMW. I never noticed it on those. I guess I’m just too familiar with my LX. Toyota did a great job of the opening being free from any latches. They are tucked neatly to the sides.

ACDEC93D-D74C-49C1-8DAA-ACF533131931.jpeg
I am just guessing here that it has to do with driving through water. Any possible way water can get into the latch over time may compromise it. Again…just a guess.

If the latch is inside the sealed compartment it is more water tight.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I am just guessing here that it has to do with driving through water. Any possible way water can get into the latch over time may compromise it. Again…just a guess.

I have had Land Cruisers for over 20 years, never had any issues with water leaks of any kind. Toyota always had a close relationship with its offroad customer base, they listen carefully, and selectively incorporate their wishes. The first two requirements for them are always reliability and ruggedness :). The latest 300-series is very impressive in so many ways.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have had Land Cruisers for over 20 years, never had any issues with water leaks of any kind. Toyota always had a close relationship with its offroad customer base, they listen carefully, and selectively incorporate their wishes. The first two requirements for them are always reliability and ruggedness :). The latest 300-series is very impressive in so many ways.
I wasn’t aware Toyota said you could fjord water ~42” deep.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Oh, I was not implying any of the vehicles would leak. It was more about protecting the mechanism from water/external elements.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Being inside the seal also helps protect the mechanism from dust. The dust we see in our desert driving gets everywhere. Ugh.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Pics sent by a friend of a white R1T with temp tags in south Orange County, CA. His text with the pics was, “OMG!!!! We’re in love! ?”
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos FABC829A-2053-444F-B830-F1267F1E3FEC

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 15B781EA-FA29-4A39-9A18-4041EBDCD22F

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos FB9DAD92-E15F-4C1C-83A6-17B25240DC58