First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Wait, does that mean no "gear guard" sentry for R1S? If so, that seems like a major oversight.
That's what I'd like someone to ask. No "gear guard" makes sense since the there is no gear cable, but the cameras should still enable right?
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I get it. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, this is the right forum. My wife is hating on the Rivian because of my random shares of information that she just can not or will not comprehend… ?

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Does anyone else find it odd there is no rear bumper on the R1T? It can be useful to stand on when you have something tall in the bed or need to climb into without the tailgate down. Let alone protecting the tailgate from minor rear-ends. At least the front has a slight bump, guess its a bump more than a bumper, but makes sense its flush in front since you need to be able to reach into the frunk.

I guess it helps with departure angle but find it a bit odd. Same with the R1S but at least it has a split gate you can kinda use as a bumper to stand on.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone else find it odd there is no rear bumper on the R1T? It can be useful to stand on when you have something tall in the bed or need to climb into without the tailgate down. Let alone protecting the tailgate from minor rear-ends. At least the front has a slight bump, guess its a bump more than a bumper, but makes sense its flush in front since you need to be able to reach into the frunk.

I guess it helps with departure angle but find it a bit odd. Same with the R1S but at least it has a split gate you can kinda use as a bumper to stand on.
Back when the R1T had a 180 degree tailgate, the bumper design made a lot more sense. There were two hooks in the tailgate that flipped down to provide a step. However, the tailgate was changed to a 90 degree gooseneck design, instead. Not having a foot hold to get into the bed is a disappointment. My last truck had a cut out in each end of the bumper and a hand hold at the end of the bed rails, as well. It was a well-appreciated feature.

I think Rivian had some lofty design goals and then reality started to sink in that they needed to actually begin production/release and they needed to do so at a certain price point, so some difficult design changes were made to cut features that were technically difficult or expensive; and there wasn't time to redesign other parts to add accommodations for the removed features.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Back when the R1T had a 180 degree tailgate, the bumper design made a lot more sense. There were two hooks in the tailgate that flipped down to provide a step. However, the tailgate was changed to a 90 degree gooseneck design, instead. Not having a foot hold to get into the bed is a disappointment. My last truck had a cut out in each end of the bumper and a hand hold at the end of the bed rails, as well. It was a well-appreciated feature.

I think Rivian had some lofty design goals and then reality started to sink in that they needed to actually begin production/release and they needed to do so at a certain price point, so some difficult design changes were made to cut features that were technically difficult or expensive; and there wasn't time to redesign other parts to add accommodations for the removed features.
That makes sense they made a flush bumper (ahem, no bumper) when the original design had the 180 degree tailgate. Unfortunate they didnt redesign the read bumper. 20mph rear ends are going to be brutal on the Rivians.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That makes sense they made a flush bumper (ahem, no bumper) when the original design had the 180 degree tailgate. Unfortunate they didnt redesign the read bumper. 20mph rear ends are going to be brutal on the Rivians.
No different than any other modern SUV, imo. A plastic bumper "cover" is pretty standard, these days. The actual crash-worthy bits are under the cover. The cover is pretty much sacrificial in even the most mundane fender-benders.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Not trying to "fix" your complaint as it's valid. After seeing the truck in person over the weekend I would say that the alternative for your use case is to just fold down the gear tunnel doors and use them like a step (that's part of what they are intended for anyway)

Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
So when eco mode it recalibrates the battery charge indicator so 70% actual capacity shows 100% on the meter?

Seems…. Odd.
I've noticed that on the video, so it doesn't seem to be the case, unless it shows it differently on different screens.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1634603117772

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Wait, does that mean no "gear guard" sentry for R1S? If so, that seems like a major oversight.
So if the SUV doesn’t get the Sasquatch dude, what do we get, a cartoon Soccer Mom screaming at the refs and the other parents getting too close to the vehicle?

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
So if the SUV doesn’t get the Sasquatch dude, what do we get, a cartoon Soccer Mom screaming at the refs and the other parents getting too close to the vehicle?
Seriously! I'll be crushed if this isn't a thing now. I'd pay even more if it screamed to get off my lawn, too.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Karen the soccer mom would definitely be more intimidating...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5