Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I didn't notice that opening behind front tire before. Any reasons I should be worried about tire throwing rocks and mud on the paint?

Screenshot_20211006-161438.png
I'm more worried about the wide rear honches of the truck having a car with a wide body that has rock chips back there. also the flat painted front end I'm figuring on doing the star shield or clear protective wrap on the whole truck.
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What happened to “towing” mode?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Maybe it only shows up if a trailer is connected?
That would be a nice change because if I remember correctly you could "select" towing mode previously but the car would just tell you that it didn't detect a trailer and wouldn't allow you to actually go into trailer mode.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The video of the slow maps reminds me of Tesla MCU1. MCU2 is much snappier. That said, I would love to know what CPU/GPU/SoC and platform they're using under the hood. I think a lot of us would rest assured if we knew how much horsepower thing this was packing and could indeed confirm it was just code that wasn't optimized yet.
A lot of the delay we're seeing looks like the sort of jankiness you get when you process input, animations, and other work on the UI thread. Moving as much as possible to independent rendering and bringing the input off main thread helps a ton, and is crucial to the "pixels stuck to my finger" feeling you get on modern touch devices. It doesn't require super fancy hardware (witness the fact that the first gen iPhone or Surface were way ahead on this), just thoughtful software work.

The question isn't really whether they can do it with the hardware on hand, it's whether and how quickly they can prioritize it and whether they made any poor architecture choices that will make it harder to do.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of the delay we're seeing looks like the sort of jankiness you get when you process input, animations, and other work on the UI thread. Moving as much as possible to independent rendering and bringing the input off main thread helps a ton, and is crucial to the "pixels stuck to my finger" feeling you get on modern touch devices. It doesn't require super fancy hardware (witness the fact that the first gen iPhone or Surface were way ahead on this), just thoughtful software work.

The question isn't really whether they can do it with the hardware on hand, it's whether and how quickly they can prioritize it and whether they made any poor architecture choices that will make it harder to do.
how dare you bring in professional experience.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That would be a nice change because if I remember correctly you could "select" towing mode previously but the car would just tell you that it didn't detect a trailer and wouldn't allow you to actually go into trailer mode.
yes, towing mode is only available when a trailer is plugged in

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Yes, yes, that's a nice explanation and all, but why aren't you speculating wildly on what poor architecture choices you assume they have surely made, based on no evidence at all?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, yes, that's a nice explanation and all, but why aren't you speculating wildly on what poor architecture choices you assume they have surely made, based on no evidence at all?
I seent on facebox it’s actually just three game boy colors in a trenchcoat running the whole thing

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Kyle didn't say they actually made poor architecture choices.
Poorly architected software makes maintenance and bug fixes more difficult, and thus more time consuming.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder if the tonneau can be partially opened, I.e. does a second button press stop it…or just reverse direction?

if it can be opened partially that would be useful.
Sponsored