First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
The map being unresponsive may be what some people are picking up on.
It’s being blown out of proportion. It really wasn’t that bad and I have faith that the Rivian team will address any latency

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
It’s being blown out of proportion. It really wasn’t that bad and I have faith that the Rivian team will address any latency
Pure speculation: It's very possible that they're still running code with high levels of logging, which has the potential to cause lag that's not really indicative of the actual performance. At this phase it makes sense to capture as much detail as possible in the log files, so you can hone in on the root cause and fix it ASAP.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Pure speculation: It's very possible that they're still running code with high levels of logging, which has the potential to cause lag that's not really indicative of the actual performance. At this phase it makes sense to capture as much detail as possible in the log files, so you can hone in on the root cause and fix it ASAP.
Hmmm, if only someone had an actual production vehicle that wasn’t running beta software… ?

I guess there is a downside to being associated with Rivian.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I actually think it looked fairly snapped overall. But the map interaction seems fairly laggy to me. It reminded me of maps that aren't cached at all. There's nothing there that appears particularly hardware intensive to me, so I'm not really concerned.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 6A1EE86B-B71F-488B-A02E-2EAFA476B7AE
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 168E77AF-9A7F-4E3E-846C-6C55D64FF688
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1360E8FB-D610-41DE-9B7C-3CFD81CBE909

RAN station under construction

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Hmmm, if only someone had an actual production vehicle that wasn’t running beta software… ?

I guess there is a downside to being associated with Rivian.
What's your point?
Every vehicle is essentially launched with what some might consider beta software in one way or another. Why do you think they have the ability to support OTA updates?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What's your point?
Every vehicle is essentially launched with what some might consider beta software in one way or another. Why do you think they have the ability to support OTA updates?
The point is that Rivian is comfortable with sending out beta or even pre-beta software to employees. Rivian would consider this group a tightly controlled group that could provide rapid feedback and willingness to get fixes implemented. That sounds much like testing and everything else that they have been doing for a few years now.

Rivian would not want a true beta product being delivered to "real" customers. I for one want a functional product that doesn't need updates. In the IT industry, very few updates are worthwhile and many of them break other things. As someone posted early, look what happens to your new iPhone after a couple of years of updates. If I could selectively install updates, I would. Not sure I want a manufacturer having 24/7 access to my vehicle.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... I for one want a functional product that doesn't need updates. In the IT industry, very few updates are worthwhile and many of them break other things...
As I read this on the 30th version of Android released by a $1.8 trillion company, I think "hmmm, maybe there's alternative views..."

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
The point is that Rivian is comfortable with sending out beta or even pre-beta software to employees. Rivian would consider this group a tightly controlled group that could provide rapid feedback and willingness to get fixes implemented. That sounds much like testing and everything else that they have been doing for a few years now.

Rivian would not want a true beta product being delivered to "real" customers. I for one want a functional product that doesn't need updates. In the IT industry, very few updates are worthwhile and many of them break other things. As someone posted early, look what happens to your new iPhone after a couple of years of updates. If I could selectively install updates, I would. Not sure I want a manufacturer having 24/7 access to my vehicle.
Part of the problem is arbitrarily determining what beta software even means. It's possible to have what are identical builds from a source code perspective, but with different compiler options for things such as logging. Then there's Engineering or Diagnostic Modes that can be enabled with magic "button" presses. Even for the production release, it's possible to collect every single interaction made by the end user and report them back to the mothership. Like it or not, you're an unpaid product tester and aren't even aware.

The vehicle is inherently connected, so you'll have to get used to it if you want a Rivian.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
As I read this on the 30th version of Android released by a $1.8 trillion company, I think "hmmm, maybe there's alternative views..."
I think if ladiver was legally responsible for regulatory compliance and product safety for Rivian, they might have a different opinion.

Software is NEVER finished, if it's not completely obvious. Monthly OTA updates wouldn't be surprising to me during the first 6-12 months following launch.
You wanting the update or not is a different subject.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Part of the problem is arbitrarily determining what beta software even means. It's possible to have what are identical builds from a source code perspective, but with different compiler options for things such as logging. Then there's Engineering or Diagnostic Modes that can be enabled with magic "button" presses. Even for the production release, it's possible to collect every single interaction made by the end user and report them back to the mothership. Like it or not, you're an unpaid product tester and aren't even aware.

The vehicle is inherently connected, so you'll have to get used to it if you want a Rivian.
I completely agree with you. I understand that as a Launch Edition customer of a new manufacturer, I will be a product tester for everything from marketing through service and support.
Even though you and I will be product testers, I am pretty confident that we will both have the same software version and logging enabled, making the product behave the same (R1T to R1S or R1S to R1S). This requires Rivian to "lock" development and changes to the product before delivering to the open market. I believe they are at this point on the hardware side but not the software side.

Having a small group of employees allows them to keep rapidly tweaking the software. I don't think there would be great press if the interface functionality changed daily for customers (even if it is better). Consistency is the key to success. Is Starbucks the best coffee around? No way, but they are probably the most successful because of consistency. I can get a Starbucks coffee anywhere in the world and it will taste the same.

I am also curious if those early delivery "customers" are allowed to sell their vehicles in the first 6 months? I bet they are not. If they were "real" customers, then some of them could probably make some pretty good money.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think if ladiver was legally responsible for regulatory compliance and product safety for Rivian, they might have a different opinion.

Software is NEVER finished, if it's not completely obvious. Monthly OTA updates wouldn't be surprising to me during the first 6-12 months following launch.
You wanting the update or not is a different subject.
A monthly update is not unexpected. I think they are still at daily updates.
Sponsored