Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I do remember seeing these beautiful aluminum knurled thumb wheels on the steering wheel then in person they were just plastic kind of seems like a space I would have paid the little bi extra for the nicer material because that's what you see and touch the most.
So much for their benchmarking against the likes of Bentley.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
So much for their benchmarking against the likes of Bentley.
“We benchmarked our interiors against Bentley - and yea, theirs are better” ?

In all seriousness it was never likely that they could hit that high a standard. I’m sure it’ll still be a highly compelling interior but I question the wisdom of invoking a name like Bentley - it raises expectations significantly and unnecessarily.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

In all seriousness it was never likely that they could hit that high a standard. I’m sure it’ll still be a highly compelling interior but I question the wisdom of invoking a name like Bentley - it raises expectations significantly and unnecessarily.
Oh, I completely agree. But given Rivian's almost complete lack of interior buttons and switches, you'd think they could do better than plastic for the controls you'll be using for so many different features.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt

Initially they had come close, with the concept car. This was at the mill valley event in 2019… and then the screenshot from their current steering wheel. The airbag went from luxury to Ford F-150. The steering wheel spokes and leather quality on the wheel is just atrocious, I’m hoping that’s still a preproduction vehicle.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos D9C62BEF-2F9E-44F7-9E6C-7643640BEC0A

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 6934EAE7-744B-4A3D-9F9E-1A975E1C201C

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
The airbag went from luxury to Ford F-150. The steering wheel spokes and leather quality on the wheel is just atrocious, I’m hoping that’s still a preproduction vehicle.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1632770762085

If you're going to use that pic, you should at least compare it to the same interior color.

I'm not sure I agree whatsoever that this can be looked at and genuinely you say "The quality is atrocious".

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
What's going on here? Some kind of storage insert for the rear wheel well? Is that a tire sealant kit in the middle?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I do remember seeing these beautiful aluminum knurled thumb wheels on the steering wheel. Then in person they were just plastic kind of seems like a space I would have paid the little bit extra for the nicer material because that's what you see and touch the most.
1632768737449.png

1632768438171.png
that’s a tiny disappointment, but practically speaking I’m fine with not-metal, so as to not melt or freeze fingies dependent on season. My car has little aluminum “accents” on most of the switches, and they get crazy hot in direct sun.

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
Dang they were running behind and I was one of the later drives so not only did the drive feel very short but we didn't get to do MT Rivian which this confirms it was part of the drive but we didn't get to so all the drives could finish that day. Oh well.
I asked during our drive and “trainer” said they weren’t running it at that time. I had also seen others on it so I assumed it was due to lack of time. Oh well. We pretty much closed out the place. Spent more than 2 hours there. Tons of fun.

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
What's going on here? Some kind of storage insert for the rear wheel well? Is that a tire sealant kit in the middle?
There was an tire repair kit in the middle.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

This is sneaky nice if true. Lets you use the cooler easier as that is plenty of room for ice + beverages in most situations and you don't need 8 bags of ice to fill up the whole thing. Also can separate other items that don't need to be in ice if needed.

Or if gear only, it provides some structure to stop stuff from rolling around so much.

I assume this can easily be taken out as well given that someone might actually put a tire in there as well.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
1632770762085.png

If you're going to use that pic, you should at least compare it to the same interior color.

I'm not sure I agree whatsoever that this can be looked at and genuinely you say "The quality is atrocious".
The leather on the photo I posted looks terrible. Funny, it does look smoother on the lighter interior you posted, and the bottom spoke also looks better in that other color. I stand by the statement on leather quality, the one I posted looks almost as bad as molded plastic leather lookalike steering wheels standard in modern Ford and Chevy pickups. Hoping the production “leather” is at least smooth and supple.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Almost certainly for regulatory reasons. You can't have a compartment big enough for a "person" without also provided emergency egress. That's why trunks have pull-cords or buttons that glow in the dark. Rivian even had to add one to the bed because of the factory tonneau cover.

They probably didn't want to engineer an emergency internal opening device for the spare tire compartment, so installing a divider that prevents any single area from holding a "person" is an inexpensive workaround.

Some super cars and low-production vehicles have taken similar steps to meet regulations.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

The leather on the photo I posted looks terrible. Funny, it does look smoother on the lighter interior you posted, and the bottom spoke also looks better in that other color. I stand by the statement on leather quality, the one I posted looks almost as bad as molded plastic leather lookalike steering wheels standard in modern Ford and Chevy pickups. Hoping the production “leather” is at least smooth and supple.
The ocean coast steering wheel definitely looked cooler with the contrast of colors and I do have to say the leather and the steering wheel feel was really good.

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
The ocean coast steering wheel definitely looked cooler with the contrast of colors and I do have to say the leather and the steering wheel feel was really good.
Agree—could not tell it was vegan leather. Every bit as buttery as the leather in my old LR4 and Jag

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
I highly doubt you'll be satisfied then. No synthetic leather is as supple and smooth as the real deal. I think Rivian did a great job, definitely some of the best pleather I've interacted with but I did notice a difference between it and my A6. Guess it comes down to personal preference but to to me it is a complete non-issue.
Sponsored