DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Logo on RJ's shirt is the correct orientation, so the photo wasn't flipped. Those are older prototypes.
Yep, older pre-production models. That picture is taken right in front of the Hyatt in downtown Normal that Rivian keeps filled with workers while they're in town. North Street is in the background to the right.

Fond memories, indeed...

Sponsored

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm not sure I'd want to even imagine taking a Cybertruck off-roading ?
I wonder if it can do the Black Bear Pass Trail. I mean, I'm sure it CAN, but would anybody be crazy enough to try?!

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm not sure I'd want to even imagine taking a Cybertruck off-roading ?
I've been on this trail. Even in a skinny Wrangler there are a bunch of pin-stripers. Can't imagine the damage that would be done on something the width of the CT. And, I'd be awfully pissed trying to pass an oncoming CT on the trail. It's hard enough getting around a normal-sized rig.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I don't think a CT would fit due to its width, plus add the fact that it doesn't really exist yet.
According to the rather hypothetical stats of the prototype (since you're absolutely right that nothing like even a pre-production Cybertruck exists), it's 1/2" wider than then R1T. It is 6" longer. I assume wheelbase will also be longer, which could likely mean a lower breakover angle, although the Cybertruck's 16" vs. 14" ground clearance may help offset the longer wheelbase on breakover and could have other advantages as well. Approach and departure angle are similar 35/28 for CT and 34/30 for R1T.

Look, I'm DEFINITELY not saying I think the CT will be more off-road capable. We know how much Tesla cars have been designed with a heavy bias toward SoCal weather and road conditions. I'm sure the CT will be better than the others, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as capable as an R1T, which seems to maybe rival the TRX. I just think it is probably going to be _possible_ to get a CT across Big Bear Pass Trail. I don't think anybody should try because I think it would be a terrible experience with way more close calls than are worth it.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

at least if you hit something off-road in a CT you cant make it any uglier.
Sponsored