Real Rivian Photos & Videos

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
To be fair that looks totally self inflicted. They could have gone to the right (our left) with a better attack vector/approach angle instead of going over that beach worthy rock. Sometimes looking cool for photos gets you hurt ha.
It looks like they are on the main trail but ifs tie rods in general seem to be susceptible to bending when the front tires are trying to pull hard on an obstacle. This puts the tie rod in compression instead of tension like during braking and so it wants to buckle. It is worse if the front tires are wedged between rocks; that is the only time I have bent a tie rod on my ifs 4runner. Fortunately a spare inner and outer tie rod is a small and light spare to carry.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 20160902_205253
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It looks like they are on the main trail but ifs tie rods in general seem to be susceptible to bending when the front tires are trying to pull hard on an obstacle. This puts the tie rod in compression instead of tension like during braking and so it wants to buckle. It is worse if the front tires are wedged between rocks; that is the only time I have bent a tie rod on my ifs 4runner. Fortunately a spare inner and outer tie rod is a small and light spare to carry.

20160902_205253.jpg
That's really helpful. I never would have thought to bring along a spare tie rod on my own.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
That's really helpful. I never would have thought to bring along a spare tie rod on my own.
Just make sure you have the tools along as well! Honestly it takes a lot of force to bend a tie rod; they were probably trying to give the rivian a 'Moab bump' up the obstacle and the tire probably got forced inward from a rock as it was trying to climb.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Still 90% sure that there's not actually a yellow in that line, but that it's reflected from the robotic arms just above.

In any case, I've never before squinted so hard in my life that I've grunted.
All of rivian’s robots are blue. The yellow you see is guarding.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah, so I wasn't sure exactly what that yellow truss-work was. Close enough. ?
Doesn’t help that someone had their phone in HDR mode and moved It when taking the picture ?

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

RJ Speech at the event of the first production vehicle!

I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to build a company from nothing and finally launch a product off the line.

Hope to join everyone in a Rivian in the near future!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to build a company from nothing and finally launch a product off the line.

Hope to join everyone in a Rivian in the near future!
Freaking Amazing Id imagine. Fruits of labor are real and impactful at that scale.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
I believe this is the first time we’ve ever seen the startup sequence of the Rivian from the outside + the interior chime/ding sound. These are tiny details, but I loved seeing them. The lights fading on were pretty cool.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I believe this is the first time we’ve ever seen the startup sequence of the Rivian from the outside + the interior chime/ding sound. These are tiny details, but I loved seeing them. The lights fading on were pretty cool.
You know, the thing that I didn't hear? The low speed pedestrian noise. I wonder why that wasn't on...

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
The black A/T 20's look pretty slick here...