DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I've used a spray on solution that's not as permanent, but a lot better than wax and a lot easier to apply.
SeaGeo,

I was in our local Bi-Mart store a few months back and found both of these. I'm assuming the spray-on version is the one you referenced? I thought I'd try both, with the cream version on the front-facing and rocker panel portions.

Thanks for the Intel, as I just bought it assuming it would be decent, given that it's the Turtle Wax brand?. I'm planning on trying it out on one of my other cars beforehand, but it's good to hear your take on these products (assuming I picked up the same one).
Sponsored

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
This @Kmann1994 , alternatively you can get the high traffic areas only for half the cost, front, and rockers around the whole car will be significantly cheaper and protect a good portion of the damage that would occur. Also keep in mind Rivian thought of this very well and that is why the whole bottom 1/3 (or maybe 1/4th) of the vehicle is the plastic protection so really I may only get the front end done.
Or, hear me out here...you could do none of that and just have fun beating it to shit on your local trails. It's free.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
SeaGeo,

I was in our local Bi-Mart store a few months back and found both of these. I'm assuming the spray-on version is the one you referenced? I thought I'd try both, with the cream version on the front-facing and rocker panel portions.

Thanks for the Intel, as I just bought it assuming it would be decent, given that it's the Turtle Wax brand?. I'm planning on trying it out on one of my other cars beforehand, but it's good to hear your take on these products (assuming I picked up the same one).
Yep!

Funny thing is I was dubious of it at first because it was turtlewax. ?‍♂

Went on well. Does a good job getting the water to bead up, and it can be used on windows too. Just watch a tutorial or two. Honestly I think the rest of a self detail (such as the clay bar and polishing) is harder, and opted not to do that for now.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Judging by all the secrecy they probably don't want a shining beacon of light saying LOOK AT ME while charging ? ? ?
Would the desire for everyone to look at me and my vehicle be called "Rivanity"? ?

Actually, I've been hoping all along that the Rivians have the option to either display or disable this function. I don't need it while charging in my garage, and I don't want it drawing attention while charging in some public places.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yep!

Funny thing is I was dubious of it at first because it was turtlewax. ?‍♂

Went on well. Does a good job getting the water to bead up, and it can be used on windows too. Just watch a tutorial or two. Honestly I think the rest of a self detail (such as the clay bar and polishing) is harder, and opted not to do that for now.
SeaGeo,

Good to know! I'm looking forward to trying it before the Rivian arrives. I'd love to get it professionally finished or wrapped, but this automobile affliction (not an addiction...yet) is already eroding the funds for fun. As Ronnie Hawkins said, "I spent ninety percent of my money on wine, women and song, and just wasted the other ten percent."

Regarding the glass, I've used 20/10 for years on my windows, and it makes life in the rain a little easier. Still, I'll have to try this Turtle Wax product on the windows and see how it compares.

Thanks again for the info!

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Regarding the glass, I've used 20/10 for years on my windows, and it makes life in the rain a little easier. Still, I'll have to try this Turtle Wax product on the windows and see how it compares.

Thanks again for the info!
I can't comment at to the effectiveness of the turtle wax product on window.

I can comment on a product called Aquapel. I give it my highest endorsement. It works almost as well as a just applied coating of rain-x, but it lasts sooo much longer. I go more than 6 months between treatments. Unlike rain-x, which is silicon based which messed up my wiper blades, it is a 2 part chemical that bonds to the glass making it hydrophobic. It was developed by PPG, a big automotive glass supplier. I hardly ever need to use my wipers when I drive on the freeway, and when I do, they are more effective.

They are cheaper on eBay. I'll give you 1 application to evaluate when we finally get to meet up with our R1T's because you'll be so pleased with it that you'll buy more for other cars. You can pay me back if you like it.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care

I can comment on a product called Aquapel. I give it my highest endorsement. It works almost as well as a just applied coating of rain-x, but it lasts sooo much longer. I go more than 6 months between treatments. Unlike rain-x, which is silicon based which messed up my wiper blades, it is a 2 part chemical that bonds to the glass making it hydrophobic. It was developed by PPG, a big automotive glass supplier. I hardly ever need to use my wipers when I drive on the freeway, and when I do, they are more effective.

They are cheaper on eBay. I'll give you 1 application to evaluate when we finally get to meet up with our R1T's because you'll be so pleased with it that you'll buy more for other cars. You can pay me back if you like it.
The day after I get the truck, it will get ceramic coated from top to bottom. IGL

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Eeyore,

Thanks for the information and your most generous offer. Based on your input, I just placed an order with Amazon for a 10-pack of Aquapel windshield applicators. I have to say, as much as Rain-X works short-term (it was not their 20/10 product I used), I also found it would not be long before I had to reapply it after a thorough cleaning of the windshield.

Thanks again for educating me on this product, and when we do finally meet, the first beers are on me.

Take care! ?

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Coriander?

Must be a third naming convention.
Sponsored

• Haha