First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Any guesses to what is on the backside of the stalk on the steering column? I see two black rocker switches, and noticed the sliver buttons on the end of the stalk too! ?
Wiper Interval and DRL intensity are my guesses

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Riv Employee: Hey Boss need the test out of the range figures over the weekend, Ill take the truck.
Boss: No worries.
Employee to spouse: I got it, lets goto home depot/home goods.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1624587033493

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Charge port door certainly an issue, this is yet another one that has been replaced. Curious what the redesign will be like.

My preference make it like a fuel filler door with an electric release and normal hinges.

OP
OP
MisterTea

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Charge port door certainly an issue, this is yet another one that has been replaced. Curious what the redesign will be like.

My preference make it like a fuel filler door with an electric release and normal hinges.
Going from the Tesla with a charge port that closes for you to a BMW where the charge port is like a fuel door, I beg of Rivian to leave it as Tesla has it. I forget to close it often, the lock on it fights me constantly, and when I forget to close it and get in the car I have to get out to close it instead of being able to hit a button. It's one of my biggest gripes with my car.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Going from the Tesla with a charge port that closes for you to a BMW where the charge port is like a fuel door, I beg of Rivian to leave it as Tesla has it. I forget to close it often, the lock on it fights me constantly, and when I forget to close it and get in the car I have to get out to close it instead of being able to hit a button. It's one of my biggest gripes with my car.
I would be happier with the design if they left it power-operated but changed to hinged from the front. This is like most traditional fuel doors are and, if I recall correctly, the way Tesla does it with their models in production.

I think that would be more durable when off road because the hinged leading edge could be stronger and hopefully aligned best to minimize the changes of damage and getting caught on things in the first place.

My Ford’s charging door is like a manual version of what I’ve seen on the Rivians, pop out and rotate. The dual action seems like it would be a lot harder to make reliably power-operated. While I may not be thrilled with it, I’ll have to accept that they did enough testing to establish that it won’t be an issue.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm just not a fan of over-complicating things when you do not have to.

Been driving nearly 50 years and can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I did not close the fuel door and have plenty of fingers left.

I actually close the Tesla cover as well when I remove the connector.

The Tesla (at least on the Model S) is a very small door that is hinged, it is powered but a super simple setup.

Maybe they already have a fix that makes the door sturdier, just a concern of mine that I have seen so many doors missing or clearly having been replaced on the test vehicles we have seen pictures of on the road.

I recall many people commenting as well about the alignment of the charge door which is much less complicated with a simple hinge setup.
Sponsored