Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
Guessing by the reflections of other people recording as well (maybe even something on the other side of the dip tank), it was probably the first full run of the paint shop.
Agreed! Looks like something was happening off screen to the right that everyone was filming.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
So my 2018 Volvo gas cover only (essentially) unlocks electronically.
I still have to go back and manually open/close it.
You're saying pressing the button inside to pop the gas lid literally unlocks it only, and doesn't even move it at all? Because I bet it pops it out ~1 inch so your fingers can actually pull the door all the way open.

Regardless, the point is: By design, you cannot open it without electronic circuitry and the electronic actuator.

I think the general concern is that EV charge ports or open longer, and frequently unattended.
Which is a fair concern but applies to *literally every single EV*, not just Teslas or Rivians

Having done charge sharing at an office place for years, I can point out one objective *pro* of the automatic closing door:

When you're done charging and someone else comes to unplug you to plug themselves in, it's better that your charge door be able to close itself instead of relying on them to know how to properly handle your car.

The alternative is your flimsy charger door staying open even longer *without something plugged into it*, making it more likely a snag would break it off.

Or - as I heard about on my work's EV charging email list about once a month back before COVID - somebody tried to do the nice thing and close that charging door, but on a car they were unfamiliar with, and they damaged it that way. *sigh*

The other concern is that if it's designed like Tesla's is that if the mechanical components break, or the door is snapped off, it's likely more expensive to fix that just a spring loaded mechanism.
There's EVs that are ICE car retrofits that have a "classic fuel filler door" over the charging port, and then there's pretty much every other EV that has something more novel.

I bet many/most of them are spring loaded - so they can positively stay open while the charging is plugged in - even if they don't just open by themselves.

When I test drove a tesla, I manually closed the charge port in front of the dealer because I had forgotten that they're fully automatic. It felt like I had nearly broken it. I am sure that's not the case, but I can't imagine that repeated manual closures are the best for that gear system.
I bet you'd do that to your own car exactly 0 or 1 times, and that the Rivian can handle it at least 1 time.

---

My real point here that the charging cover opening/closing automatically is not the issue.

The original statement I replied to was "it needs to be non-motorized," but every specific complaint I've read is not about being motorized, but rather "It looks flimsy and I think it'll break"

While I wouldn't expect everyone to be in my camp of "pro-auto-open/close charging cover", it doesn't make much sense to me to be ANTI auto-open/close charging cover.

I'm also pro "I hope the charging cover isn't flimsy and easy to break" :)

Last edited:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Both of my cars have electronic popper mechanisms for the gas door. It only pops it open an inch, however; you must still pull the door open the rest of the way.

I've never seen an ICE vehicle where the door fully opens, electronically. Nor one that closes automatically.
Again, I never claimed I saw an ICE fuel filler door that opened and closed automatically.

Just that there's tons out there without purly mechanical means to open them - that rely on electronics and actuators just to access.

Unlike a fuel filler door - where you are attending the entire fueling process and will obviously be there to close the door - EV charging has an affirmative reason for wanting the door to close itself mentioned here

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly!

This is like comparing a remote trunk release which pops the trunk and relies on springs to open any extant with no ability to self close to a power trunk lid which is driven fully open (or to a preset) and also fully closed,
One complain of "I don't want electronically opening charging door" was "because it is more complex and relies on electronics and that bugs me"

The point of mentioning electronic release on fuel doors was to negate that as a concern - We're already living with "electronic only, no mechanical backup" fuel doors and there hasn't been an outbreak of people stuck unable to fuel without breaking open their filler doors.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
When you're done charging and someone else comes to unplug you to plug themselves in, it's better that your charge door be able to close itself instead of relying on them to know how to properly handle your car.
Ok, that's actually useful. Assuming people are rude enough to leave it open.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One complain of "I don't want electronically opening charging door" was "because it is more complex and relies on electronics and that bugs me"

The point of mentioning electronic release on fuel doors was to negate that as a concern - We're already living with "electronic only, no mechanical backup" fuel doors and there hasn't been an outbreak of people stuck unable to fuel without breaking open their filler doors.
Well…ok then. ?‍♂

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I have been driving a Ford Fusion Energi PHEV for over 4 years. The charge door is manual and simple. The gas fuel filler door, like every other vehicle I’ve owned since 1991 with a remote release, has a manual backup. Established car manufacturers seem to have determined it is worth the cost of adding this. I think there is a reason they spend money on something which isn’t needed frequently, but proves invaluable when it is.

This is similar to the manual override on the electronic parking brake on our Land Rover. It seems like overkill to have a manual override to release the parking brake… right up until the parking brake actuator got gummed up with dust from off-roading.

We would’ve been stuck because of a parking brake malfunction if they hadn’t included a manual override to release it. It is not unreasonable to envision a scenario where a similar thing happens with a malfunctioning charge port door preventing a refuel.

Based on my real life experience, I’d prefer a manual charge port door or at least a manual override to release it.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Stop filling this post with rants about other topics. Its supposed to be photos and videos. If you have questions, comments, or rants, start your own post or find another thread. Tiring.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
So annoying how everyone just fills every thread now with random garbage discussion that nobody cares about. Rivian needs to give us more info so we can all shut the hell up and stop speculating and dithering so much ?

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
What color is the car in these videos? El Cap?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The wood in the Black Mountain has a lot more character than the pictures on Rivan’s website indicate. That is nice.
Sponsored