Real Rivian Photos & Videos

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I am personally not a fan of this layout, the same problem I have with the Tesla IU.

With the controls laid out horizontally across the bottom edge, they are not driver focus nor very ergonomic. You always have to take your focus away from driving and reach for the controls, and most of the time as a shorter guy have to shift myself from a driving position just to adjust basic controls.

Ideally the controls should have been laid our vertically across the left edge of the screen for all the driver controls and passenger control on the right edge. This way you can have your hand resting on the steering wheel and your adjust controls, which would be much more natural and easier to control.
I definitely don’t disagree with that argument. Perhaps I’ve just become used to the Model 3/Y UI and am now more accustomed to a slightly longer reach. Although unlikely, maybe we can hope for a little customization in that regard. Guess we’ll find out soon.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I definitely don’t disagree with that argument. Perhaps I’ve just become used to the Model 3/Y UI and am now more accustomed to a slightly longer reach. Although unlikely, maybe we can hope for a little customization in that regard. Guess we’ll find out soon.
I am sure, overtime I will get used to the UI and figure out how to operate it, although if Rivian can enable natural speech recognition like Tesla or the Android Automotive UI, I can live with a clumsy tablet UI.

But unfortunately this is going to be the trend going forward, automakers are going to slap a large tablet and delegate all controls to that, without figuring out how to make it ergonomic or user friendly.

I can genuinely appreciate a well laid out control panel that you do not have to shift your attention/view from driving to control basic features like climate control, wipers, seating position and media controls.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
I’ve found with my Model 3 the trick to not taking my eyes off the road to use the screen is to learn and use the voice commands ...much of what I want to do can be done without taking my hands off the wheel or eyes off the road to engage the UI. Admittedly, having grown up with slide controls for AC and heat in my Dad’s Chevy Caprice Classic I’ve had to reprogram myself to not reach for the controls.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I’ve found with my Model 3 the trick to not taking my eyes off the road to use the screen is to learn and use the voice commands ...much of what I want to do can be done without taking my hands off the wheel or eyes off the road to engage the UI. Admittedly, having grown up with slide controls for AC and heat in my Dad’s Chevy Caprice Classic I’ve had to reprogram myself to not reach for the controls.
Yeah, the voice command in the Tesla UI is one thing I give massive Kudos to Tesla for integrating natural voice recognition.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I really hope Max Koff fat-fingered that....or maybe he is young enough that he grew up w/ common core math...2+2=5 for some of those folks...js. In 2 months....just means I will be waiting longer...ugh

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I really hope Max Koff fat-fingered that....or maybe he is young enough that he grew up w/ common core math...2+2=5 for some of those folks...js. In 2 months....just means I will be waiting longer...ugh
As i was talking with @skyote could mean their summer programs for touring. Either way something is happening in 2 months so yay? Maybe? ??

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Since he is driving an R1S, that statement could still theoretically be consistent with on time deliveries for that vehicle in August

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Since he is driving an R1S, that statement could still theoretically be consistent with on time deliveries for that vehicle in August
Don't confuse the pics below as him as well. In the IG post, he tagged Rivian and R1T.

Last edited:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Yeah, the voice command in the Tesla UI is one thing I give massive Kudos to Tesla for integrating natural voice recognition.
Starting my 5th year of Model X ownership. Had countless software updates, a couple computer upgrades, overhauls to the UI, watched AP and EAP features grow and because more reliable, etc etc.

DEFINITELY still waiting on a voice command system that's worth anything more than garbage...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

DEFINITELY still waiting on a voice command system that's worth anything more than garbage...
Are you on MCU1 or 2? Ever since we upgraded to MCU2 we have had a 95% success rate....MCU1 was straight hot garbage!
Sponsored