Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Am I seeing things or does the red tail light strip now have a clear lower band? Could this be for amber turn signals on the outboard sections? The backup lights still seem to be in the lower reflectors.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos D3867C44-A35C-435F-9B0D-970E3580D39A
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Am I seeing things or does the red tail light strip now have a clear lower band? Could this be for amber turn signals on the outboard sections? The backup lights still seem to be in the lower reflectors.
D3867C44-A35C-435F-9B0D-970E3580D39A.jpeg
Been there since the reveal.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Been there since the reveal.
Thanks, I was just going by memory. It still looks different to my eye. In the new picture the red section looks shorter in height and the clear section taller. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part they will put amber turn signals there.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

1621027679482.png

Great picture of the Black Mountain Interior, even more convinced I made the right choice for me. Not as dark as I originally thought it might be.
There could be SLIGHT variations still as this is a very early prototype. Note the speaker grill still has 321 compasses on it and the steering column has all 4 stalks still.

***EDIT***

As well as the paddles on the steering column...

Last edited:

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
There could be SLIGHT variations still as this is a very early prototype. Note the speaker grill still has 321 compasses on it and the steering column has all 4 stalks still.

***EDIT***

Yes, I went back and edited my original post to clarify that this is from the older blue R1T prototype. Even at that time (Feb 2020) they were saying some parts of the interior would change for production. Now if they would just do the interior deep dive already!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thanks, I was just going by memory. It still looks different to my eye. In the new picture the red section looks shorter in height and the clear section taller. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part they will put amber turn signals there.

***EDIT***

Jimmy,

Great points. All the more reason we're anxious to see the various interiors and paint colors before having to decide. Funny that people see the same picture, and the lighting and reflections elicit all three interiors as the answer as to what we're looking at. Same with the paint colors. Is it L.A. Silver, Limestone, or El Cap? Depending on the time of day, cloud cover, photographic settings, who knows?

The Forest Edge in the Configurator looks pretty light in color. I think the interior of the R1T that Brian surprised Dave with during their Long Way Up reunion was also F.E. If so, it looks a whole lot darker, which I like better (looks richer, less reflected light from inside the cabin and on the inside of the windows). At some point, seeing the real thing before signing on the dotted line must become a reality.

We're now over 350 hours into May. Getting tired of extended warranty calls from Bangalore.... Nine and counting.... Still zero purchased, but my willpower is starting to fade.... Must. Stay. Focused!
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 20210515_134934

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

We're now over 350 hours into May. Getting tired of extended warranty calls from Bangalore.... Nine and counting.... Still zero purchased, but my willpower is starting to fade.... Must. Stay.
Well, if Rivian doesn’t hurry up, you (and I) may just give in and purchase one of those extended warranties. We wouldn’t need the Rivian anymore.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well, if Rivian doesn’t hurry up, you (and I) may just give in and purchase one of those extended warranties. We wouldn’t need the Rivian anymore.
My family loves giving me crap about having more cars than people in my home (recently dropped from six to five vehicles for just me) but rarely have I ever experienced any problems those third-party warranties would have helped with. Their ads remind me of those Billy Bass singing fish wall hangings. I find them amusing, but I've never seriously considered sinking any money into one of them.

Some people love them (the warranties, that is) but I've read too many accounts of what a poor use of funds they tend to be. That said, with electronics being what they are, I don't think I'll ever buy another new car without seriously looking at an extended warranty from the manufacturer. You used to be able to look under the hood and see an engine. Oil and fluid changes were easy, as were tuneups. With most modern cars, you open the hood and wonder "How do I even get to the engine"? Now, with the Rivians, apparently, as we learned this week, when you open the hood, the big question is "Where the Hell are the hooks to hang my grocery bags!" ?

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FWIW I asked them about my Saab and Alfa, they hung up (not even kidding) LOL.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

FWIW I asked them about my Saab and Alfa, they hung up (not even kidding) LOL.
Yeah, when I told them my '63 Corvair is in need of some attention, the next sound I heard was "Click...."

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

1621027679482.png

Great picture of the Black Mountain Interior, even more convinced I made the right choice for me. Not as dark as I originally thought it might be.
From the R1T video in the thread started today "Information Meridian Sound System - for both the R1S and R1T" from Lars (lg3103), this shot appears. I know it's an old shot, but the natural looking wood color of this "Black Mountain" interior only adds to my confusion, and my need/desire to see all options in the real world, so as not to make an uniformed decision.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 20210515_171822

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

From the R1T video in the thread started today "Information Meridian Sound System - for both the R1S and R1T" from Lars (lg3103), this shot appears. I know it's an old shot, but the natural looking wood color of this "Black Mountain" interior only adds to my confusion, and my need/desire to see all options in the real world, so as not to make an uniformed decision.

20210515_171822.jpg
That is a really old photo. That one is the Chick-fil-A sauce R1T. The LE interior has the metal applique on the right side of the wood inlay that says either "Normal, IL" or " Adventurous Forever". Definitely don't judge that interior next to what we have seen recently...Even look at the rear driver's side door. The window is a 3/4 vs what has been shown recently as a full roll-down window.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That is a really old photo. That one is the Chick-fil-A sauce R1T. The LE interior has the metal applique on the right side of the wood inlay that says either "Normal, IL" or " Adventurous Forever". Definitely don't judge that interior next to what we have seen recently...Even look at the rear driver's side door. The window is a 3/4 vs what has been shown recently as a full roll-down window.
Yeah, I get it. But I'd still like to know at least a little in advance if I want to drop an extra $2,000 for the Forest Edge. While the Ocean Coast is out because I'm a sloppy coffee addict, the Black Mountain may be the best way for me to go. I just don't want to see it for the first time and have to make a decision right then, or worse yet, based solely on photos.

Even some nicely done videos with slow pans around all three interiors would help. Some from inside a studio, and some captured while the vehicles sit in the sunlight. That's part of a day's work for someone in the Communications Dept. Granted, someone from the company will have to find these folks, or wake them up from their long slumber, but it would go a long way towards answering some questions before they start building these vehicles. I can only imagine the shock on their faces when told of the pandemic that hit the world since their nap began.

(and if anyone from the Communications Department is actually reading this, know that I'm goofing on you and I think your marketing plan will ultimately be judged as genius-level, somewhere long down the road. In other words, it won't be judged that way anytime "very, very soon".) ?

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I think the UI looks pretty solid here. Obviously very Tesla-esque.
I am personally not a fan of this layout, the same problem I have with the Tesla IU.

With the controls laid out horizontally across the bottom edge, they are not driver focus nor very ergonomic. You always have to take your focus away from driving and reach for the controls, and most of the time as a shorter guy have to shift myself from a driving position just to adjust basic controls.

Ideally the controls should have been laid our vertically across the left edge of the screen for all the driver controls and passenger control on the right edge. This way you can have your hand resting on the steering wheel and your adjust controls, which would be much more natural and easier to control.
Sponsored