Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Quick video of Jeff Bezos behind the wheel of an R1T from the Blue Origin videos...
Guess we now know who received order #1? :CWL:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They are at least AC motors. The inverters must serve some purpose.
Inverters would be needed to charge from AC even with DC motors (but the use of DC motors is unlikely for a variety of reasons)

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Inverters would be needed to charge from AC even with DC motors (but the use of DC motors is unlikely for a variety of reasons)
Agree, but I thought we had pretty good confirmation that there were dual-power combined inverters in the drivetrain, one in the front and one in the rear. That helps keep things compact because they only need one inverter to power two motors.

I don't think we've ever had confirmation of what type of motors Rivian is using.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They are at least AC motors. The inverters must serve some purpose.
You still need an inverter to handle charging at L1/L2.

Also, brushless DC motors can't run on straight DC... There is a controller involved that must pulse the power at the right rate and there's sensors (usually hall-effect) to provide feedback to the controller about rotor position.

Maybe they're using AC induction motors, now? As I said, previously, I don't know for sure. I have seen some patents and conversations with Rivian employees that indicate they were playing around with brushless DC, at least for a while.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Agree, but I thought we had pretty good confirmation that there were dual-power combined inverters in the drivetrain, one in the front and one in the rear. That helps keep things compact because they only need one inverter to power two motors.

I don't think we've ever had confirmation of what type of motors Rivian is using.
It would surprise me a bit if they didn't use PMSM.

As a side note, had a fun discussion (actually he discussed - I listened) with the principal of a renowned race spec inverter/motor company (now part of Borg Warner). They market a "Dual Stack" motor - essentially 2 motors in one housing driving a single shaft - and that requires a dual inverter for a "single" motor. They offer those motor cores wound either serial or parallel (different power curves/characteristics), and they've even done mixed motors for some applications (one core SOM, the other DOM).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
What seems forever ago, at the Denver event I asked an engineer and he told me 4 permanent magnet of their own design, but manufactured by someone else. Of course anything could have changed since then.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
It would surprise me a bit if they didn't use PMSM.

As a side note, had a fun discussion (actually he discussed - I listened) with the principal of a renowned race spec inverter/motor company (now part of Borg Warner). They market a "Dual Stack" motor - essentially 2 motors in one housing driving a single shaft - and that requires a dual inverter for a "single" motor. They offer those motor cores wound either serial or parallel (different power curves/characteristics), and they've even done mixed motors for some applications (one core SOM, the other DOM).
I wonder if this is similar to what Tesla is using in the 3 and refreshed S & X. I think it is a type of combo induction motor and reluctance motor? I'm also curious what Lucid is using, whatever it is is small, efficient, high torque, and large speed range.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Unless they have changed heir supplier there was a nice screencap of it somewhere I took. Shots below.

1619712013146.png
Looks like maybe just the primer, but this still gets my bet on the closest depiction to what Launch Green (/brown) will look like.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Who knows what may have changed over time as original statements were that all 4 motors were identical which no longer appears to be the case. But at one point in time, Rivian had stated that permanent magnet motors were being used:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Who knows what may have changed over time as original statements were that all 4 motors were identical which no longer appears to be the case. But at one point in time, Rivian had stated that permanent magnet motors were being used:
https://www.engineering.com/story/the-many-types-of-ev-motors
Found this article which gives basic descriptions and comparison of a variety of electric motors used for EV's.
Sounds like the Interior mounted permanent magnet synchronous motor described in the link would be a good candidate for the R1's.
I'm excited to see what kind of additional performance and efficiency can be nursed out of electric motors. I think we will see substantial technological improvement that could be transferred to everything from power tools to building mechanical systems.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
There was no space sacrificed in the Gear Tunnel it was full size. I did not look under the second row seats where I suspect the extra battery capacity would have been. They didn't really want me "studying" the interior anyway....
Thank you. As long as the Tunnel is unmolested....I suspect that space under the seat will be limited, but I find the trade off acceptable....Now I just want it now! Can't wait until next Spring.
Sponsored