Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
In about 30 minutes. Correct they are taking i8
Too late, they are obviously headed to Irvine and were smart enough to avoid the heavy traffic in Phoenix by taking I10. That said I am only 8 miles from the EA chargers in Buckeye along I10.:confused:
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Is it me or at the end of this video the driver tried to check the acceleration?
No, most definitely a case of lead foot on display.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Too late, they are obviously headed to Irvine and were smart enough to avoid the heavy traffic in Phoenix by taking I10. That said I am only 8 miles from the EA chargers in Buckeye along I10.:confused:
I just drove from Goodyear to Orange County. I would have loved to "pace" a Rivian the entire way. I would have even stopped when/where they did even though my truck can go 600 miles. :)

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Is it me or at the end of this video the driver tried to check the acceleration?
Holy RWD action LOL, the rear suspension was so compressed due to weight transfer/acceleration.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Only eight days ago, we hit 1,000 posts on this thread, and now we're over 1,200. All we need are a couple of reliable pics of Launch Green (if it really exists), and I'll be good until the June Pickup² Event in Normal.

What if it's the same as Forest Green, without the metallic?....?

Way to go, Mister Tea! Nice thread!????

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Holy RWD action LOL, the rear suspension was so compressed due to weight transfer/acceleration.
No doubt! That definitely seemed like RWD only with the way it sat upon takeoff.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

With the active suspension, wouldn't we expect the Rivian to sit more level when accelerating like that? It is really sitting way back on the rear wheels! I do understand that it has 800+HP and I certainly don't know much about suspension or how a heavy SUV would really react to that kind of power.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

With the active suspension, wouldn't we expect the Rivian to sit more level when accelerating like that? It is really sitting way back on the rear wheels! I do understand that it has 800+HP and I certainly don't know much about suspension or how a heavy SUV would really react to that kind of power.

Car seemed to be in in the highest mode for sure but yes active suspension (air suspension) should have covered unless the person just floored it with a Comfy setting rather than a sport setting where it would adjust the rate of compression in this case.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Some "squat" under hard acceleration is a good thing -- it pushes the vehicle into the ground and improves traction. That's one of the reasons RWD is superior for off-the-line acceleration compared to FWD.

Also, this is a pre-production vehicle and we have no idea what test parameters are applied. Do we even know if "RWD" will be an option to select in production? Personally, I'd like it to be, so I can do a donut.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Car seemed to be in in the highest mode for sure
Gosh I hope not.... I would expect the highest setting to have much more wheel well clearance for moderate offroading/overlanding.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Do we even know if "RWD" will be an option to select in production? Personally, I'd like it to be, so I can do a donut.
I think CS has stated that it will be full-time AWD.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Some "squat" under hard acceleration is a good thing -- it pushes the vehicle into the ground and improves traction. That's one of the reasons RWD is superior for off-the-line acceleration compared to FWD.

Also, this is a pre-production vehicle and we have no idea what test parameters are applied. Do we even know if "RWD" will be an option to select in production? Personally, I'd like it to be, so I can do a donut.
I've long wondered if RWD/FWD would be an option. CS told me several months ago that the Rivian will be full time AWD. During the Cold Weather Testing video, the UI had a setting that listed "Drivetrain" as "4x4." The website says this about the motors:

Powering the front axle is a compact 415 horsepower unit with 413 ft lbs. of torque. In the rear, a higher torque derivative delivers 420 horsepower and 495 ft lbs. of torque.
I suspect it may be way more complicated than RWD or AWD. I suspect the quad-motor system may be able to dynamically allocate power between the front and rear axles to maximize efficiency or torque. This is just my educated guess at this point.

We honestly don't even know what kind of motors Rivian is using. I know the dual-motor Tesla Model S has a PMSR motor in the front, but an AC induction motor in the rear. That allows the Model S to fire its induction motor when immediate torque is needed, but to shift power to the PMSR motor when you reach speed and longer range is needed. I suspect Rivian's quad-motor system might have the same sort of magic, and may be why the rear motors provide higher torque.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've long wondered if RWD/FWD would be an option. CS told me several months ago that the Rivian will be full time AWD.
Much like how they've talked about a Tank Turn mode, I'm hoping for a Donut mode that will allow me to go RWD-only in certain circumstances. I see no reason or benefit to offering FWD.

We honestly don't even know what kind of motors Rivian is using.
Last I heard it was DC brushless. Not sure if that's changed?

I know the dual-motor Tesla Model S has a PMSR motor in the front, but an AC induction motor in the rear.
By naming the company Tesla, they pretty much forced themselves to include an AC motor, imo.

I suspect Rivian's quad-motor system might have the same sort of magic, and may be why the rear motors provide higher torque.
Probably bigger motors compared to the front.
Sponsored