First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Good catch. It was tough for me to see it.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
What do y'all think, is this R1S parked?

Passenger handle is presented, side mirror appears to be folded in, and I don't see a driver.

Or is Alexa just acting like a petulant child?
Given the vehicle lights, angle and position in the intersection and pedestrians in the cross walk in the vehicle's direction of travel, I would guess the vehicle is stopped waiting for the pedestrians to clear the intersection before completing the turn. That doesn't explain the seeming absence of a driver but I suspect they just aren't visible for whatever reason.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
What do y'all think, is this R1S parked?
It’s turning onto Main St from Liberty in old town Ann Arbor. Those are 2 relatively busy roads, so I’m highly doubtful that it’s just parked in the intersection.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Given the vehicle lights, angle and position in the intersection and pedestrians in the cross walk in the vehicle's direction of travel, I would guess the vehicle is stopped waiting for the pedestrians to clear the intersection before completing the turn. That doesn't explain the seeming absence of a driver but I suspect they just aren't visible for whatever reason.
I realize this is the R1T, but from a side angle less severe than the pic of the R1S in question, the high center brake light here is very visible (from the recent Jackson, Wyoming video). The R1S in Ann Arbor doesn't appear to have its brake lights on, and it does look like the passenger mirror may be folded back. I can't tell if anyone is inside from this angle. Given this, I get the impression it's parked. It could also be that the driver may have popped it into neutral while waiting for pedestrians to cross in front, but I don't see anyone inside, and the side mirror does look like it may be retracted.

It could be a classic case of "All the lights are on, but there's no one home."
All but that center brake light, anyway.?
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 20210321_090944

Last edited:

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
Has it been confirmed that all of these settings can be used at highway speeds? I believe they use half shafts like the X. With the X, the half shaft angle becomes too great at the higher settings and the higher settings can only be used at low speeds. Even the normal setting in the X causes intense wear on the half shafts.
Not sure what half shafts the X uses but there are high strength and high angle ones available. Look what are used in sand cars and class 1 desert race cars. Some of the high end class 1’s have 1000 hp/tq and shafts that go +-32 degrees. Depending how long and what shafts Rivian uses this may not be an issue.

Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Not sure what half shafts the X uses but there are high strength and high angle ones available. Look what are used in sand cars and class 1 desert race cars. Some of the high end class 1’s have 1000 hp/tq and shafts that go +-32 degrees. Depending how long and what shafts Rivian uses this may not be an issue.
That is good news. Does not surprise me that Tesla would not be using the best available. Much like the flash memory in the MCU that they tried to argue was only meant to last a few years and it was an expendable item like tires. As Tesla says, "your car is performing as designed and within normal parameters [for a bad design]"

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Has it been confirmed that all of these settings can be used at highway speeds? I believe they use half shafts like the X. With the X, the half shaft angle becomes too great at the higher settings and the higher settings can only be used at low speeds. Even the normal setting in the X causes intense wear on the half shafts.
I would bet not. I know the Jeep GC Quadra-lift will let you go into any setting but for the off-road 1 and off-road 2 settings they drop a level based on speed. It allows for 4.1 inches of height but off-road 2 drops over 25mph and off-road 1 drops over 50,ph

I would expect similar behavior with Rivian.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I swear if I ever come across a Rivian in the wild, I will be posting like 50 photos... not one or two
But when you were the one that got to drive the R1T for 8 days during the Rebelle Rally...you already have an extensive amount of photos so coming from Emme Hall, I will gladly take one or two...

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Interesting, this is the same one posted a few days ago but it didn't have the aero wheel cover things but looks like they are on here.
IMG_4473.jpg

C5B8BC56-1306-4692-B190-B92F42F59AF1.jpeg
Yeap Both are KS

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Interesting, this is the same one posted a few days ago but it didn't have the aero wheel cover things but looks like they are on here.
IMG_4473.jpg

C5B8BC56-1306-4692-B190-B92F42F59AF1.jpeg
Hmm interesting.
If those aero inserts are removable (and it looks better without them to me), I might consider switching from 22 to 21 for a bit more cushion..

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Just like the carbon fiber aero caps on the 20s, the ones on the 21s are also removable. I have yet to see if there are any images of any aero caps for the 22s. Anyone spot any pics of those by chance?...if they exist...
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Carbon
Sponsored

Last edited: