DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Sure thanks I get why a truck (or car) would be more aerodynamic in the lowest setting. But I didn’t sign up to buy an El Camino. To me a “truck” from a pure esthetic standpoint should look like a truck if Rivian wants to compete with “trucks”. It seems that the R1S out testing recently in Normal also was very low, not to mention the R1T at While Foods. It does give me pause and wonder if the 300+ mile rating is only attainable in that lowered suspension height however, which I think is a very valid question.
Thanks for the feedback. Now I understand where you're coming from. I'm guessing here, but I think you'll have the option to roll at any height within the R1T's settings. I hope it's fully adjustable, or at least has an override. During and following our recent snow/ice/wind event, we had all kinds of downed trees, branches, and other crap on many of our roadways for over a week. That was in addition to all of the snow and ice-chunks piled up.

I barely avoided a sizable fenderberg that dropped from a semi in front of me after he hit a bumpy spot. We were both doing 55. I avoided it, but the sportscar riding my bumper took it right down the middle. Even if he didn't go down like the Titanic, I'm sure that thing left it's mark.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Why oh god do we keep seeing these things out testing with a lowered suspension? I sure hope that suspension height isn’t in “normal” ride height, bc I will be in “off road” the entire time.
Totally agree. I'm assuming it's the aero setting & that the driver has it hard set there for some reason.

There are 5 "ride" height settings:
1) Kneel (entry/exit)
2) Aero
3) Normal
4) Off Road 1
5) Off Road 2

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Totally agree. I'm assuming it's the aero setting & that the driver has it hard set there for some reason.

1) Kneel (entry/exit)
2) Aero
3) Normal
4) Off Road 1
5) Off Road 2
That is super info Sky. I hadn’t seen that before and gives me some smoked brisket back in my salad. I’m hoping I have to option to not have aero as default every time. However, I think you left out setting 1b)...

1) Kneel (entry/exit)
1b) Whole Foods
2) Aero
3) Normal
4) Off Road 1
5) Off Road 2

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
I have the same requirement.

I was leaning towards a ChargePoint Home Flex; but the Rivian EVSE looks nice and has a good feature set. Depending on price, I may end up with the Rivian EVSE. Another requirement is that I want to self-install, so hopefully Rivian doesn't require me to purchase "professional installation" as well.
Another ChargePoint Flex fan here as well. Like you I’m curious about the Rivian’s price. But I’m also a fan of Chargepoint’s app and its features. I like the way it tracks your energy spending.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

1) Kneel (entry/exit)
2) Aero
3) Normal
4) Off Road 1
5) Off Road 2
Has it been confirmed that all of these settings can be used at highway speeds? I believe they use half shafts like the X. With the X, the half shaft angle becomes too great at the higher settings and the higher settings can only be used at low speeds. Even the normal setting in the X causes intense wear on the half shafts.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has it been confirmed that all of these settings can be used at highway speeds? I believe they use half shafts like the X. With the X, the half shaft angle becomes too great at the higher settings and the higher settings can only be used at low speeds. Even the normal setting in the X causes intense wear on the half shafts.
I know the highest setting is for max clearance in low speed conditions. However, this is also where you might need the most articulation.

I know Rivian engineers have discussed having the longest half shafts possible to maximize wheel travel/articulation off road, so hopefully the Rivian design will prevent issues similar to your X.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I know the highest setting is for max clearance in low speed conditions. However, this is also where you might need the most articulation.

I know Rivian engineers have discussed having the longest half shafts possible to maximize wheel travel/articulation off road, so hopefully the Rivian design will prevent issues similar to your X.
Thanks for the info. I hope they can avoid the X issues. I have gone through multiple half shafts and the vibration when they start to wear is intense.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I appreciate
Thanks for the info. I hope they can avoid the X issues. I have gone through multiple half shafts and the vibration when they start to wear is intense.
And to your point, Sky’s info on 5 settings, and others here, thanks for your input, but this air suspension is a particular sore spot for me (which I vented on another post), but as you can see from my 3rd slammed/failed air suspension on my Rover from my profile photo before I gave up at Carmax , replacing air suspension bags on all four wheels, the air compressor, and control module (on a LR anyhow) is a mighty high price tag-well into 5 digits. Especially when things start failing in a chain where mechanics can’t diagnose which component is at fault and blame “wiring”. This is the one area I’m worried about longevity with Rivian suspension vs coil springs. How do I know this air suspension will be any different than my experience with LR? Or am I still playing craps?

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I appreciate

And to your point, Sky’s info on 5 settings, and others here, thanks for your input, but this air suspension is a particular sore spot for me (which I vented on another post), but as you can see from my 3rd slammed/failed air suspension on my Rover from my profile photo before I gave up at Carmax , replacing air suspension bags on all four wheels, the air compressor, and control module (on a LR anyhow) is a mighty high price tag-well into 5 digits. Especially when things start failing in a chain where mechanics can’t diagnose which component is at fault and blame “wiring”. This is the one area I’m worried about longevity with Rivian suspension vs coil springs. How do I know this air suspension will be any different than my experience with LR? Or am I still playing craps?
Playing craps... The suspension in my SUV is hydraulic, but it's 16 years old and still works. I think sometimes the system is more reliable, and sometimes you just get lucky.

But we're playing craps with the entire car, who knows what Rivian reliability will be like...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What do y'all think, is this R1S parked?

Passenger handle is presented, side mirror appears to be folded in, and I don't see a driver.

Or is Alexa just acting like a petulant child?

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Maybe parked in an intersection.
What is unusual about a white roof? In other pictures the roof of the vehicles is black.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This is the one area I’m worried about longevity with Rivian suspension vs coil springs. How do I know this air suspension will be any different than my experience with LR? Or am I still playing craps?
With its increased complexity, an air suspension will never be as trouble free as a conventional coil spring and damper suspension. But it is an increasingly common trade off, especially in the premium auto segment. Hopefully we won't hear any complaints over the first few years but the forums will likely start to see chatter about air suspension woes in about 3-5 years.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe parked in an intersection.
What is unusual about a white roof? In other pictures the roof of the vehicles is black.
The vehicle has a wrap. The picture is a bit grainy but if you look closely, you can see the grey stripes on the white wrap.
Sponsored