Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There's a lot going on here at the rear door:
- why is there an extra strip of vertical black glass near the back of the door (not part of the window)?
- there is a black trim outline that runs around the border of the doors/windows, but it oversteps into the part of the door which is silver.
- why is that part of the door silver in the first place? couldn't they have just left it black, like the front door?

Nothing major, but definitely some design clunkiness ...

1620503994469.png
@sevengroove Nothing new design wise here although there is one trim piece missing.

- the R1S rear door glass has always had the fixed pane (in fact, the R1T originally had a fixed pane as well).
- a piece of the black trim is missing, it should run all the way across the c-pillar.
- this was a design choice and has been that way since the initial reveal. Personally, I don't find this problematic at all and think it would be awkward to carry the gloss back trim to the rear edge of the door.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos reveal

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos TQWHpJ7

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos rivian-r1s-white-rear-
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There's a lot going on here at the rear door:
- why is there an extra strip of vertical black glass near the back of the door (not part of the window)?
- there is a black trim outline that runs around the border of the doors/windows, but it oversteps into the part of the door which is silver.
- why is that part of the door silver in the first place? couldn't they have just left it black, like the front door?

Nothing major, but definitely some design clunkiness ...

1620503994469.png
Considering the wheel well intrudes into the rear door, it's probable that if the window was full-width then it couldn't roll down completely. Many vehicles have their rear windows only roll partially down, for this reason. By breaking the window up into two sections -- one fixed and one that rolls down -- the section that rolls down can fully retract into the door.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
What is the point of the smaller window at the back of the rear seat windows? Maybe to prevent fluttering when the rear windows are down and the fronts are not? My x3 used to do that badly - I liked driving with just the rears down and I had to open the passenger window slightly to prevent the fluttering sound.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
@electruck and @CommodoreAmiga thanks that makes sense. Didn’t realize that fixed window was part of the design all along - I think what caught my attention in the first place is that black trim at the top. In all the other photos it looks like it runs above the whole C pillar but in this one it stops at the edge of the rear door.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
What is the point of the smaller window at the back of the rear seat windows? Maybe to prevent fluttering when the rear windows are down and the fronts are not? My x3 used to do that badly - I liked driving with just the rears down and I had to open the passenger window slightly to prevent the fluttering sound.
As stated, the smaller glass window behind the rear window on door is there to allow visibility but also splitting the window width up allows the rear seat window to roll down 100% - definitely a good thing. Otherwise if not split it would roll down maybe 50% at best before it interfered with the edge of door. Kinda like on the Model X Tesla your rear windows go down like 60% or so, hate it because it feels confining In the back.

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
That is also a two-tone R1S. The back deck looks like it is Forest Green. Hahahaha
1620486848075.png
Also the passenger door handle, though it could be a weird reflection as well.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
As stated, the smaller glass window behind the rear window on door is there to allow visibility but also splitting the window width up allows the rear seat window to roll down 100% - definitely a good thing. Otherwise if not split it would roll down maybe 50% at best before it interfered with the edge of door. Kinda like on the Model X Tesla your rear windows go down like 60% or so, hate it because it feels confining In the back.
yeah a lot of people think the partial roll-down of rear windows is for safety or whatever, but it’s not. Purely because there isn’t enough door for all the glass to disappear into because of the wheel well cutout in the door.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
yeah a lot of people think the partial roll-down of rear windows is for safety or whatever, but it’s not. Purely because there isn’t enough door for all the glass to disappear into because of the wheel well cutout in the door.
If anything, it's safer to have the window roll down all the way so people can get out in an emergency, imo.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So in the newer R1Ts, the rear window is not split. RJ told me in Seattle that the newer non-split version would be able to roll down 100%.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
So in the newer R1Ts, the rear window is not split. RJ told me in Seattle that the newer non-split version would be able to roll down 100%.
That makes sense for the R1Ts likely since there isn't much behind the door. I don't think I know of any pickups that have glass behind the rear window since they usually go flat and the bed starts. Nice.

Sponsored

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
Order #1?
I really don't understand what they were thinking with the charge port on the front like that. It looks a little goofy in the first, head on pic. I feel like a standard hinge instead of the 360 spin whatever it does would have been "fine" and potentially looked less weird and prone to issues. Rivian seems to have been pretty practical and polished with their other decisions, so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I personally don't understand just yet what they were trying to solve for that a standard hinge wouldn't do.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Order #1?
Not to be a contrarion, but while RJ could, and should be "Order 'holder' #1", I'd like to think "VIN#000000001" will be done in Rivian Blue. That's his favorite color, we've been told.