Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Any clue why it makes noise at all? Does it have all of the electronics in the access point?
The AC to DC power conversion in most DC Fast chargers is air cooled and within the dispenser. I'm not sure about Tesla, but they could have liquid cooled power modules (similar to ChargePoint CPE250) and I think their power conversion is in a separate power cabinet farther away. These EA dispensers are pretty loud because of the air cooled power modules are in the dispenser itself. Liquid cooling pumps for the cables aren't that loud, but they are quite unreliable.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Neat! Had no idea about liquid cooling!
V3 superchargers are as well. V2 aren't, which is why you'll get throttled in warm weather with them you do something silly like sticking a wet towel around the handle.

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Dunno if that means it can optimize on a 350kw charger, or if it can actually go up to 350kw via parallel charging
It simply means they can plug in and work, even my slow charging Bolt works on the EA 350KW chargers.

All of the CCS high power chargers have to use liquid cooling, in order to keep the cable size reasonable. By reasonable I mean that a person can actually lift it and plug it in. They are relatively short also, that is why you have seen photos of Rivians parked at weird angles at some of the chargers.

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T

Yellow Tow Hooks make another appearance...

Do we know/think these will be production and exclusive to Launch Editions w/ Adventure and/or Off-Road Package?

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Hope Rivian allows setting to view Rear (tailgate) camera on main display - or embedded into gauge display, at operator's discretion. That sure would help in situations like this where the traditional rearview mirror is useless.

The new F-150 has wide variety of capabilities with its 360 and trailer-view cameras. I'd love to see Rivian truck featured with something similar that's meant to enhance / augment rearward views.

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yellow Tow Hooks make another appearance...

Do we know/think these will be production and exclusive to Launch Editions w/ Adventure and/or Off-Road Package?
Are those rock rails as well?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I ask because I have never had any noise coming from the Tesla Superchargers but the access point is basic and all of the electronics are centrally located and power dispersed from there.
Teslas usually have a bank of cabinets with all the loud bits somewhere nearby - the supercharger stand that you park at is just the "last mile" and is relatively quiet. If you wander over to the cabinets those are usually very loud (fan noise), but often behind a fence or something which helps abate it a bit. By contrast other DCFC systems are typically more self contained, so the noise is right by the connector.

Judging by their art/photos, Rivian's RAN approach looks to be closer to Tesla's.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Are those rock rails as well?
All I could get from CS after their last appearance (in the Patagonia to LA to Now video) is that Rivian is evaluating potential accessories. Would not confirm as rock rails, retractable running boards, or anything else.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The rear tow hooks are extended out. In the prior pic, they were pushed in more. Interesting.
Perhaps they pull out for use and push in to fit behind the silver cover panels?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

My thoughts are its just the angle of the photo and these will be the launch edition colors same with yellow brakes and badging in and out.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 2.22.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 2.22.40 PM.png

More yellow tow hooks...
These bumpers (both front and rear) are markedly different in shape; at least compared to the configurator images. I wonder if these are partner accessories (like maybe ARB), or a Rivian installed accessory. regardless, this doesn't look like the standard bumpers
Sponsored