kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Seriously, how damn hard is it to tap the screen and check the charge info?!

Also, that EA chargers is crazy loud.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Screenshot_20210504-023538

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not normally that loud, I think the phone was right next to the dispenser.

I usually hang out during charging and I guess I just think its all loud background noise ha. I did a 260 mile trip with my Ioniq this past weekend and DCFC 2 times and it was pretty loud as well.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I usually hang out during charging and I guess I just think its all loud background noise ha. I did a 260 mile trip with my Ioniq this past weekend and DCFC 2 times and it was pretty loud as well.
Any clue why it makes noise at all? Does it have all of the electronics in the access point?

I ask because I have never had any noise coming from the Tesla Superchargers but the access point is basic and all of the electronics are centrally located and power dispersed from there.

I'm with you, I usually just hang out at the car when charging, would be a drag to have to keep the door and windows closed on a nice day.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Any clue why it makes noise at all? Does it have all of the electronics in the access point?

I ask because I have never had any noise coming from the Tesla Superchargers but the access point is basic and all of the electronics are centrally located and power dispersed from there.

I'm with you, I usually just hang out at the car when charging, would be a drag to have to keep the door and windows closed on a nice day.
As far as I know its because of cooling fans on the unit them selves are the source of the noise. I think Tesla fast charging has a different design and could have a high build cost (more heat sinks instead of fans) to accommodate lack of noise but I havent look into too much.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

As far as I know its because of cooling fans on the unit them selves are the source of the noise. I think Tesla fast charging has a different design and could have a high build cost (more heat sinks instead of fans) to accommodate lack of noise but I havent look into too much.
I believe it’s pumps and fans on the EA units due to the liquid-cooled cables.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I believe it’s pumps and fans on the EA units due to the liquid-cooled cables.
I wonder if that is why I see a lot of people talking about the EA chargers being down a lot.

In my experience I occasionally will run into a mis-behaving supercharger but from these forums and some reviews I have seen, it almost seems like it is not uncommon to find EA chargers not working.

Anyone out there that frequent both EA and superchargers that can provide real world experience?

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder if that is why I see a lot of people talking about the EA chargers being down a lot.

In my experience I occasionally will run into a mis-behaving supercharger but from these forums and some reviews I have seen, it almost seems like it is not uncommon to find EA chargers not working.

Anyone out there that frequent both EA and superchargers that can provide real world experience?
I think EA president and he said that it wasn't the chargers themselves, but the backend that is a challenge. he mentioned that it was due to the fact that they couldn't get enough chargers from any one supplier, and that the backend has to be kludged together. They're apparently trying to fix it, but it still seems slow. https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think EA president and he said that it wasn't the chargers themselves, but the backend that is a challenge. he mentioned that it was due to the fact that they couldn't get enough chargers from any one supplier, and that the backend has to be kludged together. They're apparently trying to fix it, but it still seems slow. https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/
Thanks for the link, it was a good read.
Sponsored