Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
here's a grab from one of their videos showing the 21s with and without the aero insert. this probably gives the most detailed view of the 21s that I've seen.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos wheel_21_insert

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
here's a grab from one of their videos showing the 21s with and without the aero insert. this probably gives the most detailed view of the 21s that I've seen.
wheel_21_insert.png
Hadn't seen these before, and had now idea there were removable inserts - thanks for sharing.

Is this the only wheel option that comes with the removable inserts?

Btw that picture on post #10 is the one I saw and thought didn't look very good. The sidewall looks much narrower to my eye. but it could be the angle or something else.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
wheel_21_insert.png
What does the insert do?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is this the only wheel option that comes with the removable inserts?
We have also seen pics of the 20s usually found on the R1T with and without inserts.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos cautofotorivian-r1t
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos rivian-r1t-outdoors

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
What does the insert do?
Provide an incremental aero improvement which gets you a few extra miles of range.

At this point we don't have any info from Rivian as to which wheels will have available aero inserts, whether they will be standard or an extra cost option or how much additional range they might provide.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Anyone else feel like we might see a bunch of high-centered delivery vans stuck all over the place?
Perhaps the vans will still have an air suspension for this very reason.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Perhaps the vans will still have an air suspension for this very reason.
It's possible.

Air seems risky for a fleet vehicle, though. Historically unreliable, expensive to fix, and expensive to include in the first place. But, times are changing, so maybe it's not such a huge deal anymore.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
What does the insert do?
That open space in a wheel, in addition to provide mostly excess cooling air for the brakes, causes turbulence, resulting in more drag and so less range. The covers reduce that by some small percentage. The "Engineering Explained" guy, Jason Fenske, in a follow up comment to one of his videos, said Car and Driver tested about a 3% difference in range at speed with vs without covers. Why Big Wheels Are A Bad Idea On Electric Cars - Range Impact! - YouTube

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
We have also seen pics of the 20s usually found on the R1T with and without inserts.

cautofotorivian-r1t.jpg
rivian-r1t-outdoors.jpg
Gotta admit, the removable inserts are a neat idea! These 20s look pretty good imo with the inserts.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Ha! Definitely different strokes. I think the only decent wheel options for the R1T are the 21" and 22". The dark 20" on the R1S come in 3rd and the alloy colored 20" are the ugliest. I hate the rectangular design of the alloy 20" wheels.

For the R1S, I again like the 21" and 22" wheel options, followed by the dark colored 20". The 20" alloy wheels are awful. It's like they had a contest at Rivian where they threw darts for the wheel options. Someone sneezed when they threw and the dart landed in the ugly, throw away pile, but they felt obligated to go with the choice ;)

Haha I think the 20s are the best looking... The bigger wheels are kinda busy for me. Thats why wheels and customization is such big business. Love SEMA. I want the other tire options ins the 20" size....

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Gotta admit, the removable inserts are a neat idea! These 20s look pretty good imo with the inserts.
Totally Agree, I didnt realize that was going on. I dont love the inserts and to have the option for my long highway journeys is super cool!!!!!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I really like these 20s with or without the inserts but I'm not so fond of the 20s being offered for the R1S.
Sponsored