Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Judging by all the secrecy they probably don't want a shining beacon of light saying LOOK AT ME while charging ? ? ?
Yes, because their wraps don't already scream LOOK AT ME.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Saw these guys on my bike ride today near Woodside, CA. They were not in a talkative mood... maybe because I mentioned every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to the F-150 Lightning and there are a ton of videos.

Three guys inside - hardly wanted me to even take a pic.
I've worked on products way more anticipated than the Rivian, and have had to test them in public before the public has access to them. And have been recognized doing so.

Thankfully, not aggressively so, and not with a sense of entitlement to know whatever they want to know.

Go ahead and fault Rivian corporate for their secrecy. I disagree with most of the anti-Rivian-secrecy rhetoric here, but I understand where it's coming from.

But the poor guys just doing their job? At best they get fired for telling you details. At worse they get sued for violating the NDAs they definitely absolutely signed as part of their employment.

Please leave them alone.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Actually, they design the suspension to remove as much dive under braking as possible.
Indeed.

FWD cars on traditional suspension are terribly front heavy, and dive under heavy braking as a result. They have bigger/better brakes on the front to compensate (e.g. Remember front disc, rear drum setups?)

But that's because of the physics that result from their design, not because it's desirable.

There's only so much traction available to change the velocity of a car and it's split up between the 4 tires.

If you have more weight on the front during heavy braking then you're *not using the traction potential of the rear tires*

Under heavy braking you should ideally be spreading the braking force equally over all 4 tires.

(Under almost *any* handling maneuver actually)

True "sports cars" and racing cars try for 50/50 weight distribution by design and a suspension that minimizes weight transfer to try to accomplish that.

Take two otherwise identical cars, but one of them with stiffer suspension to prevent weight transfer to the front during heavy braking... and that one will stop in a shorter distance.

---

Any "prone" stance of a truck with air suspension is almost certainly to handle heavier loads in the back, and not to purposefully disadvantage themselves during braking.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm planning to do the same. Did you have it done, or DIY?
I've used a spray on solution that's not as permanent, but a lot better than wax and a lot easier to apply.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've used a spray on solution that's not as permanent, but a lot better than wax and a lot easier to apply.
Which one?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Which one?
Turtlewax hybrid. After spending an entire night looking up info on the various options I decided I didn't want to go through the effort for the car I have to remove all the minor paint perfections (applied right after getting from the dealer) and didn't trust myself to not mess up a full high end ceramic coat the first try. Gets you probably 80% of the way there with almost a year if durability with minimal effort.

Pan has several videos of multiple systems, and I found a few other videos comparing the durability if various consumer options. Shirt if professional systems with a multi year warranty, the hybrid solution general did the best.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There's a new product line from fictech that's magic in bottle I'll post up a full DIY for those interested.

Sponsored

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I love them too but I don't want my Rivian Blue Truck and Amazon Van with the same paint job. They should have went with a color that the trucks won't be coming in. Also, if they paint everything in Rivian Blue including the robots, why is it the most expensive paint option lol.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I love them too but I don't want my Rivian Blue Truck and Amazon Van with the same paint job. They should have went with a color that the trucks won't be coming in. Also, if they paint everything in Rivian Blue including the robots, why is it the most expensive paint option lol.
That's Amazon blue

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That's Amazon blue
It's also only the back door of the van that's painted light blue. The sides are dark blue/gray.

OP
OP
MisterTea

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
They keep running out...