kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Saw these guys on my bike ride today near Woodside, CA. They were not in a talkative mood... maybe because I mentioned every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to the F-150 Lightning and there are a ton of videos.

Three guys inside - hardly wanted me to even take a pic.

IMG_1858.jpeg

You lure more bees with honey than vinegar ?!
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You lure more bees with honey than vinegar ?!
Given some of the posts on this forum, I’m surprised no one has tried gunpoint.

Someone is going to get their hands on a Rivian, eventually…. One way, or another.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
It seems like none of the videos/photos of the vehicles charging have shown the light bar being used as a charge indicator. I wonder if that feature has been removed? They still state it as a feature on the website...but not everything on the site is accurate anymore, so who knows.

The charging indicator did seem like a nifty idea, though I don't know how useful or practical it would be in real life.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It seems like none of the videos/photos of the vehicles charging have shown the light bar being used as a charge indicator. I wonder if that feature has been removed? They still state it as a feature on the website...but not everything on the site is accurate anymore, so who knows.

The charging indicator did seem like a nifty idea, though I don't know how useful or practical it would be in real life.
Judging by all the secrecy they probably don't want a shining beacon of light saying LOOK AT ME while charging ? ? ?

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
R1S looking good...first thing I'll do is ceramic coat all that plastic door cladding and trim. I've done it personally on two vehicles I own (although not with this much plastic) and it works really well, not only on the paint, but plastic as well, and is so easy to apply. Great UV protection and grime washes right off.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
first thing I'll do is ceramic coat all that plastic door cladding and trim.
I'm planning to do the same. Did you have it done, or DIY?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

R1S looking good...first thing I'll do is ceramic coat all that plastic door cladding and trim. I've done it personally on two vehicles I own (although not with this much plastic) and it works really well, not only on the paint, but plastic as well, and is so easy to apply. Great UV protection and grime washes right off.

Likewise and I will PPF the front, in fact about to do it right now on my other car for sell prep!

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I'm planning to do the same. Did you have it done, or DIY?
Sky, I did it myself. I bought this Duraslic 1500 extreme based on this video from Pan the Organizer (not a big fan of this guy but he's informative). He shows how to prep paint and apply. A bit pricey for the bottle, but I have enough left over for a second small vehicle. I have been very happy with the results so far...

Sponsored

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Likewise and I will PPF the front, in fact about to do it right now on my other car for sell prep!
Any idea how much a PPF costs? I'd really like to full-body PPF my R1T, assuming it's not outrageously expensive. I've never done PPF on one of my vehicles so I don't know costs.

I was initially considering only the front and hood, but realized that with a truck like this that will see a lot of off-road and adventure, it'd be great to do full-body. Protect from dirt and rocks kicked up on the doors by the wheels, protect the tailgate from things hauled in the bed, etc etc.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Saw these guys on my bike ride today near Woodside, CA. They were not in a talkative mood... maybe because I mentioned every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to the F-150 Lightning and there are a ton of videos.

Three guys inside - hardly wanted me to even take a pic.

IMG_1858.jpeg
Looks like Cañada Rd near Edgewood Rd .

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Any idea how much a PPF costs? I'd really like to full-body PPF my R1T, assuming it's not outrageously expensive. I've never done PPF on one of my vehicles so I don't know costs.

I was initially considering only the front and hood, but realized that with a truck like this that will see a lot of off-road and adventure, it'd be great to do full-body. Protect from dirt and rocks kicked up on the doors by the wheels, protect the tailgate from things hauled in the bed, etc etc.
Yes, full vehilce Xpel PPF on an SUV is around $7k. +/-

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yes, full vehilce Xpel PPF on an SUV is around $7k. +/-

This @Kmann1994 , alternatively you can get the high traffic areas only for half the cost, front, and rockers around the whole car will be significantly cheaper and protect a good portion of the damage that would occur. Also keep in mind Rivian thought of this very well and that is why the whole bottom 1/3 (or maybe 1/4th) of the vehicle is the plastic protection so really I may only get the front end done.

Last edited:

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
This @Kmann1994 , alternatively you can get the high traffic areas only for half the cost, front, and rockers around the whole car will be significantly cheaper and protect a good portion of the damage that would occur. Also keep in mind Rivian thought of this very well and that is why the whole bottom 1/3 of the vehicle is the plastic protection so really I may only get the front end done.
Great input. The areas I care about most are the front and hood, but also the tailgate I think would be pretty important too since so much can be kicked up on it and/or rest on it. I was worried about the lower perimeter around the car since that's definitely something that shows wear on my Model 3 right now, but you're right that the plastic protection basically addresses that.
Sponsored