Real Rivian Photos & Videos

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Dirty silver, it almost looks like a flat silver. I really think they are playing with the colors and determinining which shade is best etc also Lighting as well.
Will switching to dirty silver improve my delivery date? ?

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Grand Mesa Lodge Colorado Via Linked In.

1625060237132.jpg

1625060236612.jpg

1625060237157.jpg

1625060235321.jpg
We love getting pie at the grand mesa lodge after cross country skiing! I would be out looking for them if we weren't out of town this week.

Edit: I meant mesa lakes lodge is where we usually stop, such a cool massive log structure!

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't think that holds true for those with air suspension. My understanding is that is for standard coil springs and helps the truck deal with the loaded weight in the bed.
Here's a RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension. There's clearly a "rake" with the rear higher than the front. Even cars have this. Not only does it help with payload, but it also helps with acceleration and braking. When accelerating, the rear will "squat" slightly and the vehicle evens out. And when braking, you want the vehicle to dip to the front, because 80% of your braking power is in the front and you want the extra "weight" on the tires that do the steering.

When you see vehicles that are "ass-down" that can be dangerous because it hurts visibility and if it's biasing weight towards the rear then braking ability is reduced and a light front end also reduces your ability to steer in an emergency.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1625141002926

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Here's a RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension. There's clearly a "rake" with the rear higher than the front. Even cars have this. Not only does it help with payload, but it also helps with acceleration and braking. When accelerating, the rear will "squat" slightly and the vehicle evens out. And when braking, you want the vehicle to dip to the front, because 80% of your braking power is in the front and you want the extra "weight" on the tires that do the steering.

When you see vehicles that are "ass-down" that can be dangerous because it hurts visibility and if it's biasing weight towards the rear then braking ability is reduced and a light front end also reduces your ability to steer in an emergency.

1625141002926.png
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware trucks with air suspension still did that. I admit my mind is a bit blown, I've owned 2 air suspension vehicles and neither of them did this. I literally just walked out to my driveway and confirmed my Defender sits with the same gap at both wheel wells when parked. Tested my girlfriend's car and found the same.

I have not noticed a 'rake' in any previous shot of the R1T, even when parked. Something I'll for sure want to see/ask about in person.

With air suspension I really don't see any reason to do this, unless the suspension isn't rated for the load, which doesn't make any sense. I am clearly not an automotive engineer of any type, however :)

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder

1625141002926.png
During braking you want as much weight as possible at the rear, this is why a 911 has always been so good at braking and acceleration. Larger braking on the front of vehicles are due to the weight transfer to the front and the lack of grip at the rear. On our race car, we run the same brakes on the rear as the front because of our lack of weight transfer under braking. 50/50 is considered the ideal weight distribution, but if you pay attention to exotic sports cars, they tend to have more weight at the rear for this reason. Having more weight at the front has never been good for emergency situations, this is one of the biggest issues with truck handling, and one of the main reasons to have an air suspension. The rake in the photo is most likely due to load leveling, and most photos shown on flat ground show no rake at all.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
During braking you want as much weight as possible at the rear, this is why a 911 has always been so good at braking and acceleration. Larger braking on the front of vehicles are due to the weight transfer to the front and the lack of grip at the rear. On our race car, we run the same brakes on the rear as the front because of our lack of weight transfer under braking. 50/50 is considered the ideal weight distribution, but if you pay attention to exotic sports cars, they tend to have more weight at the rear for this reason. Having more weight at the front has never been good for emergency situations, this is one of the biggest issues with truck handling, and one of the main reasons to have an air suspension. The rake in the photo is most likely due to load leveling, and most photos shown on flat ground show no rake at all.
50/50 weight distribution is for handling -- not braking. You can have weight in the back, but the suspension is designed to transfer that force to the front when it dips under hard braking.

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
50/50 weight distribution is for handling -- not braking. You can have weight in the back, but the suspension is designed to transfer that force to the front when it dips under hard braking.
Actually, they design the suspension to remove as much dive under braking as possible.

Sponsored

Dersies

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Actually, they design the suspension to remove as much dive under braking as possible.
Correct, as with anything with wheels and suspension. You want the suspension to stay in place in case a bump or dip comes up as your braking.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Saw these guys on my bike ride today near Woodside, CA. They were not in a talkative mood... maybe because I mentioned every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to the F-150 Lightning and there are a ton of videos.

Three guys inside - hardly wanted me to even take a pic.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos IMG_1858
Sponsored