First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
And the award for most overly tested new product goes to... RIVIAN!, and the lineup of R1 vehicles!
@DuckTruck did you secretly take the open position for director of unusual testing?

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
EPA is another possible (hopeful?) reason why they could be testing in NZ. With the production intent configs...notice the 21" wheels on both R1T & R1S.

Does anyone know if there is a confirmed cold testing component to EPA? Disclaimer - Google & LinkedIn searches don't find this OP as an employee of Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Capture+_2021-06-16-08-42-54
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos FB_IMG_1623850783220

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
***Correction***Three Rivians in NZ. Check out the Prime Van behind the R1T.

***EDIT***what lg3103 said...
EPA is another possible (hopeful?) reason why they could be testing in NZ. With the production intent configs...notice the 21" wheels on both R1T & R1S.

Does anyone know if there is a confirmed cold testing component to EPA? Disclaimer - Google & LinkedIn searches don't find this OP as an employee of Rivian.

Capture+_2021-06-16-08-42-54.png
FB_IMG_1623850783220.jpg
I highly doubt that is "winter testing in NZ" as it is almost 40F in the southern most part of NZ (Stewart island) unless they are testing on the ⛰. Winter testing should have been wrapped up when they did it in MINNESOTA. Just saying ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I highly doubt that is "winter testing in NZ" as it is almost 40F in the southern most part of NZ (Stewart island) unless they are testing on the ⛰. Winter testing should have been wrapped up when they did it in MINNESOTA. Just saying ?
I thought about the same, but Rivian will need to test with the final production intent vehicles. I honestly don't know if temperature is part of the EPA testing regimen either. Just found it interesting & plausible.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
I thought about the same, but Rivian will need to test with the final production intent vehicles. I honestly don't know if temperature is part of the EPA testing regimen either. Just found it interesting & plausible.

Would also explain why all three of their vehicles are there....

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Leads credence to the theory that the original EPA results came back unfavorable.... Delay a month, drop some off-road stuff out of the base config and into an optional package, do some more software optimization, and re-test.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground is based in Wanaka, which is in the mountains. They have facilities specifically located and designed to facilitate the standard cold weather testing.

I believe this is the temp requirement for the test:

The temperature must be (−7.0 ±1.7) °C at the start of the test and averagetemperature must be (−7.0 ±2.8) °C during the test. Instantaneous temperature values may be above −4.0 °C or below −9.0 °C, but not for more than 3 minutes at a time during the test.​

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leads credence to the theory that the original EPA results came back unfavorable.... Delay a month, drop some off-road stuff out of the base config and into an optional package, do some more software optimization, and re-test.
I think it's more likely that they just now have production intent HW/vehicles & SW ready, not that previous results came back unfavorable.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think it's more likely that they just now have production intent HW/vehicles & SW ready, not that previous results came back unfavorable.
But didn't Rivian CS previously state that testing had been completed and results were pending?

It's possible they were incorrect in that statement.

But if that statement was correct, then the results not meeting their expectation is plausible.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Definitely seems like them retesting after missing their targets. I don't think there's another good/plausible reason for them to wait until now, and go through the cost/logistics of doing this in NZ. They should have had EPA testing wrapped up months ago.

Let's hope dropping the weight of the off-road package gets them to the numbers they were targeting.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
EPA testing doesn't pass my quick logic test. From what I understand of EPA testing in other threads, it's done at some standard temperature something like 68F. Secondly if they were doing EPA testing in NZ, in cold weather wouldn't they also want to bring along MAX packs so you would have a reference of what to choose. Or we think Rivian is going to say "We are proud to offer our large pack at XXX miles or our max pack for an additional $10K at XXX +? miles"
I certainly hope we do get EPA numbers for each configuration that has a appreciable difference (EX. if its +- 5 miles different).
I think it's more likely they are continuing general stress testing to determine which parts are likely to need service replacement, making future improvements etc...

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
But didn't Rivian CS previously state that testing had been completed and results were pending?

It's possible they were incorrect in that statement.

But if that statement was correct, then the results not meeting their expectation is plausible.
All we can do is speculate, but again, being an optimist, I'm wondering if EPA questioned Rivian's range/efficiency claims and wanted additional data to back up claim that Rivian had not collected, or collected sufficiently according to EPA. I have never submitted a system for EPA certification, but assume there is likely some extrapolation of real world test data which EPA would want keep as minimal as possible. Interpolation is generally safe, extrapolation can get dangerous quickly and the EPA (and US GOV for that matter) are risk adverse by nature.
Sponsored