Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Screenshot_20210414-084911~2.png

It'll have 12v wired to the frunk, so split off that, yeah?
A typical 12V outlet (e.g., for a chest fridge in the frunk) would likely be rated for 15A or 20A. Unless that wiring was specifically run with the intent of servicing a winch, it is not going to be useful to solve this problem.

That said, if the trucks are winch-ready, there is probably a reasonable solution to getting the power to the winch. More details to come... :p
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A typical 12V outlet (e.g., for a chest fridge in the frunk) would likely be rated for 15A or 20A. Unless that wiring was specifically run with the intent of servicing a winch, it is not going to be useful to solve this problem.

That said, if the trucks are winch-ready, there is probably a reasonable solution to getting the power to the winch. More details to come... :p
It was stated to me via CS that all the 12V outlets run on one 15A circuit.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I think I saw a reference to that in another thread at some point, but I have my doubts -- a much more common pattern would be for each receptacle to homerun to the fuse panel. We're definitely getting into a level of technical detail that 1) I don't trust front line customer support to answer accurately, and 2) won't actually affect our purchase decision.

The AC outlets -- I would absolutely believe are all on a single 15A circuit, probably protected by a single breaker right at (or within) the inverter.

At this point, we know they're saying "winch-ready", but we have no idea what the electrical situation is for that. I would very much doubt the wiring in the frunk for the 12V receptacle is intended to service a winch though (and their remark about all 12V outlets being one 15A circuit would definitely support this conclusion -- as would my totally unsupported speculation that it'll be 15A, or even 20A, but maybe not all on one circuit).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
And others have been told two separate circuits....

I just had a chat with CS and he confirmed that all 4 R1T 110V outlets (2 bed, gear tunnel, center console) are on one 15A circuit - but also said that the vehicle was designed to be able to use the camp kitchen along with other 110V devices (fridge, etc) without blowing a fuse/breaker. Since the induction cooktop takes pretty much the entire capacity and the kitchen also has an electric pump for the sink, that is a little contradictory. He promised to email me with clarification after checking with the engineers. We'll see

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

someone ask CS bluntly about "pre-wiring" for a winch. if they are providing mounting provisions, seems impossible they would not consider the electrical power provisions.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
And others have been told two separate circuits....

I just had a chat with CS and he confirmed that all 4 R1T 110V outlets (2 bed, gear tunnel, center console) are on one 15A circuit - but also said that the vehicle was designed to be able to use the camp kitchen along with other 110V devices (fridge, etc) without blowing a fuse/breaker. Since the induction cooktop takes pretty much the entire capacity and the kitchen also has an electric pump for the sink, that is a little contradictory. He promised to email me with clarification after checking with the engineers. We'll see
Could also be a single 20A circuit supplying power to 15A (5-15) receptacles -- a common household wiring pattern. That would give you some room running a 15A appliance simultaneously with a low-draw fridge.

Like I mentioned in an earlier comment though, these are getting into the kinds of nitty gritty implementation details that I don't think anyone should rely on until they actually see it. Hopefully this is more of a curiosity for people than an actual purchase-decision-altering piece of information. Now, again, about that winch wiring...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm really pleased to know we'll have a 110 outlet in the center console. While all of the others are great to have and sound like they're nicely placed, knowing there's one right next to me is a real plus. I like to have my laptop available to address work issues from the road, or even off-road. My laptop linked through my cell's hotspot allows me to be "in the office" no matter where I am in the world. Accordingly, I have no desire and no need to retire.

I've taken client calls at all hours of my day (and night) in Thailand, Italy, Guatemala, and the Canadian Rockies. The client had no idea I was out of the country and their questions were resolved as they would've been if I was at my desk. Now, the Rivian will allow me to serve them from anywhere I can get cell service, at least at some point in any day. With taxes coming up, maybe I should ask my accountant how to write off the R1T as my secondary office. If you need a creative accounting firm, I recommend "Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe". They're easy to reach @ 1-877-NOMOPAY.

Honestly, I hope no one actually has that number. They might be a little upset if someone calls...

Last edited:

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm really pleased to know we'll have a 110 outlet in the center console. While all of the others are great to have and sound like they're nicely placed, knowing there's one right next to me is a real plus. I like to have my laptop available to address work issues from the road, or even off-road. My laptop linked through my cell's hotspot allows me to be "in the office" no matter where I am in the world. Accordingly, I have no desire and no need to retire.
I plan to have a mobile deep fryer for all my on-the-go Chicken Tendies needs

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm guessing the draw on the microwave will mean that I can't run it at the same time as my dash-mounted Keurig coffee maker. I really didn't expect to have to rough it like this. Maybe the R2 or R3 series will correct these deficiencies.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1618437004872

Did any one else notice the rivian puddle lights?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

someone ask CS bluntly about "pre-wiring" for a winch. if they are providing mounting provisions, seems impossible they would not consider the electrical power provisions.
My question to CS..."Regarding the winch ready design, will there be a high amp wiring harness already at the winch location, or where would the wires for the 12v connection need to be run?" and their response tells me this specific CS agent had no clue what they are talking about! I hope they did not get it off of any internal documentation.

"This is a great clarification question about our towing setup and I'm glad to help.
What we know at this time is that when we say that the vehicles are winch ready, “ready” means that the vehicle has the necessary structures to support the installation of an accessory winch.
Other than that, for regular towing, we know that the R1T and R1S both come standard with an integrated 2" Class V receiver that is hidden behind a removable cover on the vehicle's rear fascia. Our vehicles have an integrated brake controller that utilizes a 7-pin connector as well."
Sponsored