Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Wouldnā€™t even long skis fit in the gear tunnel? ?
Apologies, the bed dimensions I listed should have said mm, not cm!

In any event, I think itā€™s reasonable to assume that the inside width of the gear tunnel with the doors closed will be roughly the same as the width of the bed which is ~138cm. So that would imply that only kids skis would fit.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I donā€™t like having my skis exposed to road salt, so Iā€™ve always either carried them inside of an SUV or enclosed rooftop carrier. For my R1T, my plan is to mount the enclosed rooftop carrier to crossbars over the bed if they wonā€™t fit diagonally in the bed with tonneau cover closed. The published bed dimensions are 1400cm (l) x 1385cm (w). That would put the diagonal at 196cm. So Iā€™m somewhat optimistic that anything up to about 185cm will fit.
That 196cm is also the "flat" diagonal of the bed. I imagine you could even get a bit more length by propping one end of the skis up on a bag or something. It just seems silly to buy a truck if I would have to buy a rack to fit my skis over the truck. Really would like to try out the truck in person. Maybe I will build a box on the floor to see what a couple skis stacked in that size bed would look like.

I had previously looked at the gear tunnel, and I estimated the diagonal corner-to-corner was like 179cm. Some adults with small skis might find a way to jam one pair in there.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I donā€™t like having my skis exposed to road salt, so Iā€™ve always either carried them inside of an SUV or enclosed rooftop carrier. For my R1T, my plan is to mount the enclosed rooftop carrier to crossbars over the bed if they wonā€™t fit diagonally in the bed with tonneau cover closed. The published bed dimensions are 1400cm (l) x 1385cm (w). That would put the diagonal at 196cm. So Iā€™m somewhat optimistic that anything up to about 185cm will fit.
Yeah I just immediately thought when I read this they should fit on a diagonal and came up with exactly the same numbers without looking assuming the bed is 5 feet by 4 feet. Thank you Pythagorus.

I have a rooftop tent and am so curious as to how the drag will affect my mileage . . . . I am getting the R1s (LE) Forest Green for now, though I like the green better on the configurator.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Should be no problem for my 170s then!

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Supposedly just the tail lights. No brakes applied.
Long standing requirements for brake lights at night is:
- Tail lights get brighter when brake is applied
- A center brake light that is completely off when the brakes are *not* applied turns on when the brakes *are* applied.

"Tail light bar" is pretty non standard, but still works.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Long standing requirements for brake lights at night is:
- Tail lights get brighter when brake is applied
- A center brake light that is completely off when the brakes are *not* applied turns on when the brakes *are* applied.

"Tail light bar" is pretty non standard, but still works.
Please don't take that as I do not believe it. I had the opportunity a year ago today to ride in the backseat of the Rivian Blue R1T at the Fully Charged event while my wife filmed it. From her video, you can see the 3rd brake light. It is just wild to see just HOW BRIGHT the taillight is!! Edited my wording on the post to reflect accurately.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Please don't take that as I do not believe it. I had the opportunity a year ago today to ride in the backseat of the Rivian Blue R1T at the Fully Charged event while my wife filmed it. From her video, you can see the 3rd brake light. It is just wild to see just HOW BRIGHT the taillight is!! Edited my wording on the post to reflect accurately.
Look at the other areas in the photos (particularly the first one). That is a very long exposure of a light at night that exaggerates how bright it is.
Sponsored