kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

As a R1S reservation holder, it is curious that there are only R1T pictures whether testing or out on the road... Nothing related to the R1S. I realize it is the same platform and much of the learnings and tweaking will apply to the R1T as well. Still, beyond pictures from Rivian tours a year ago, I haven't seen any pictures of the R1S. Any thoughts?
X2 on that
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
As a R1S reservation holder, it is curious that there are only R1T pictures whether testing or out on the road... Nothing related to the R1S. I realize it is the same platform and much of the learnings and tweaking will apply to the R1T as well. Still, beyond pictures from Rivian tours a year ago, I haven't seen any pictures of the R1S. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat. My guess is that all these tests out in the wild are drivetrain related, and the R1S does share the exact same system with the R1T. There are likely a lot of R1S-specific tests happening within the confines of Rivian facilities. That being said, I would still love to see some R1S's being taken out for a spin. Maybe we'll see some in 3 months, mimicking the lag in first delivery timeframes? :D

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
More photos with popped out door handles. Hmm.

Now I'm just intrigued...
Emme Hall mentioned in her review interview after the Rebelle Rally that the handles did not do well with the dust (44:20). She said Rivian said it would be addressed, so I would not be surprised to see a different door handle on the production vehicles.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Fingers crossed that the handles are popped out for some.....idk, diagnostic mode or something.

Cause it looks SUPER goofy with them all sticking out like that

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Fingers crossed that the handles are popped out for some.....idk, diagnostic mode or something.

Cause it looks SUPER goofy with them all sticking out like that
The whole reason they are made to sit flush is to help with aerodynamics and consequently range. There's no way they will send out Rivians with the handles like this. Pretty sure it'll be fixed before deliveries.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
They don't have any pre-production R1Ss, so there are no pictures of them testing. I am hoping we will start to see some R1Ss in 2021.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
They don't have any pre-production R1Ss, so there are no pictures of them testing. I am hoping we will start to see some R1Ss in 2021.
Really hope that they are getting close to starting the production line on the R1S. I would think if they are going to start R1S deliveries in August they need to start testing the line no later than March so hopefully we will see some of their test vehicles in the wild by then.

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe the handles being popped out prevents them from being locked out...lol! Old school methods for new tech. :CWL:

But seriously, it could be they want them 'exposed to elements' to test the reliability of any changes they made. ?‍♂

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I just saw this video. I don't think this is a full wrap, but decals on top of what looks like Launch Edition Green.
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.56.05 AM.jpg
Good eye, it does indeed look like Launch Green.

While I was flitting between posts/pics I also noticed that the concave depth of the 22" wheels seems to have perhaps been flattened out a bit vs. prior production:

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1609346623164

vs.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1609346647930

And to complete the journey, the concept art :D:
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1609346824474

Sponsored

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
The whole reason they are made to sit flush is to help with aerodynamics and consequently range. There's no way they will send out Rivians with the handles like this. Pretty sure it'll be fixed before deliveries.
Have the popped door handles been seen while driving? It seemed like all pictures I noticed were while stopped.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 43085263_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram

From Emme Hall‘s Instagram

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
43085263_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.jpg

From Emme Hall‘s Instagram
Is it just me or does this look like its parked? Car looks on for sure with the running lights on, but maybe the door handles are popped out since the car knows you'll need to open a door? Also, in a podcast that Emme did, she did mention that she had the engineers program the software to keep the door handles open because of an issue with too much dirt and dust getting stuck, and that they will be reprogrammed for production.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Is it just me or does this look like its parked? Car looks on for sure with the running lights on, but maybe the door handles are popped out since the car knows you'll need to open a door? Also, in a podcast that Emme did, she did mention that she had the engineers program the software to keep the door handles open because of an issue with too much dirt and dust getting stuck, and that they will be reprogrammed for production.
Yeah I’m a little confused as well why the doorhandles are popped out in almost every picture. Hopefully not that large of an issue