Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

That isn't necessarily true. Kansas and New York both have an "A" on their plate. Refer to post #11.
They probably moved the plate from one vehicle to another. Which gives more weight that they are using the state sticker to 'track' them.

Does it mean that there will be 50 prototypes?
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Does this reflect a new hinge design for the charge port cover? In they past they have swung out about 90 degrees toward the front in an arc parallel to the ground, regardless of which side of the vehicle they were on. This seems to articulate up and slightly back toward the cab while remaining closer to the body.
That is DEFINITELY a new hinge design. Good eye.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Does this reflect a new hinge design for the charge port cover? In they past they have swung out about 90 degrees toward the front in an arc parallel to the ground, regardless of which side of the vehicle they were on. This seems to articulate up and slightly back toward the cab while remaining closer to the body.
I was just looking at this again and noticed that this charge port door pops out and rotates about 90 degrees clockwise to expose the port. When standing next to the vehicle and looking down, it does seem like the door might block the line of site to the port.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I was just looking at this again and noticed that this charge port door pops out and rotates about 90 degrees clockwise to expose the port. When standing next to the vehicle and looking down, it does seem like the door might block the line of site to the port.
It definitely does rotate. What is your concern with no line of sight?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It shouldn't block visibility if approaching from the front, but might if you were closer to the driver door. 180° would be better for visibility though.

I do like how the rotating design stays closer to the body of the vehicle, and I think visibility from the front is better than 90° counterclockwise.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It definitely does rotate. What is your concern with no line of sight?
Ease of aligning the plug with the port. It may be a non-issue, hard to tell from these pics.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I do like how the rotating design stays closer to the body of the vehicle
Me too. This change may have been to minimize the risk of the door being torn off accidentally while plugged in for a charge.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Another video of R1T on the road in Cali somewhere.

And possibly a hint to what it will sound like at low speeds? I can't tell if it's the Rivian making the sound, or the delivery van behind it. If it's the Van, that's one bad-ass sounding delivery van.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE

And possibly a hint to what it will sound like at low speeds? I can't tell if it's the Rivian making the sound, or the delivery van behind it. If it's the Van, that's one bad-ass sounding delivery van.

Sounds like the van behind it. I particularly hope so as the sound was there when the R1T is not even moving, and I'd hope that the sound isn't required when the vehicle is in full stop.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sounds like the van behind it. I particularly hope so as the sound was there when the R1T is not even moving, and I'd hope that the sound isn't required when the vehicle is in full stop.
Anytime it is out of "Park" it is required.

49 CFR § 571.141
S5.1.1 Stationary. When stationary the vehicle must satisfy S5.1.1.1 and S5.1.1.2 whenever the vehicle's propulsion system is activated and:​
(i) In the case of a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the vehicle's gear selector is in Neutral or any gear position other than Park that provides forward vehicle propulsion;​
(iii) in the case of a vehicle with a manual transmission, the vehicle's parking brake is released and the gear selector is not in Reverse.​
S5.1.1.1 For detection, the vehicle must emit a sound having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000 Hz.​
S5.1.1.2 For directivity, the vehicle must emit a sound measured at the microphone on the line CC' having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000Hz.​

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.141

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Looks like a sprinter van. That is probably diesel from the sound in the video.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I can see that being a mild annoyance as well. Maybe their thinking was that nine times out of ten the user will be standing in between the charging station and the port to plug in, vs. the driver door and the port. There's much less obstruction (if any) from the charging station side.
Sponsored